What's the price of air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another thread got me to thinking about this one. I live near a town of about 100,000 and there is only one "real" LDS. However, there are two other instructor services in town. Those "shops", though, don't have their own compressors. That means that their students have to go to the LDS for air fills. Well, that kinda grated against the LDS owner, so he's kinda firing back with slightly increased air fill prices, almost as if it's "punishment" for not using his instructors.
What is unusual about the situation, I think, is that it's a major change for all us 'regulars'. Before, air was $5.00 a tank and spare tank rentals were $6, although many times he loaned me and my partner (loyal customers) tanks for free. Now, air is $8 a tank for everyone and what burned my partner is a new system was implemented in which a credit card number had to be taken to cover possible loss or damage.
All right, I know that's standard procedure in most places, but it's a radical change from the old status quo. I guess you could say that we regular customers had it good for a long time, but now we feel we're being caught in the crossfire between warring shops. I am concerned, however, that instead of trying to lure customers to his shop with benefits, he may be driving them away with retribution. I like the guy, so I want him to succeed.
So here are the questions... 1) what do you pay for an air fill in your neck of the woods? and 2) Would you say something to the LDS owner about how you, as a customer, are feeling about new procedures? (or am I being too sensitive?)

Guba:
So here are the questions... 1) what do you pay for an air fill in your neck of the woods?

I have my own compressor- I know how expensive air is.

and 2) Would you say something to the LDS owner about how you, as a customer, are feeling about new procedures? (or am I being too sensitive?)

Not at all. He should know your reaction. Deposits? A sign of the times.

Every merchant should know what his loyal customers think.

$4 in Killeen, TX. I keep telling him he should be charging $5 like the shop at Stillhouse but he says he is happy with $4.

Did you talk to him about the guy who is thinking about starting an independent club and buying a compressor?

3 or 4 bucks from LDS, depending on the when last time you bought something from him, but even at 4 bucks he beats everyone else. Nitrox is $10 at the LDS. The three local quarries 7$, 7$ and 5$, 12$ for nitrox at both quarries that have it.

One local shop offers air to all comers for free. Its GU, so I can't get there.

In my neck, its $5 a shot, or $4 with an aircard.

---
Ken

My LDS in Indianapolis is $5 for a fill, $4.50 with an air card.

My LDS in Indianapolis is $5 for a fill, or $10 to rent tank (full). He does require a credit card number also.... as another poster mentioned, it's a sign of the times.

I would mention to the owner though, that you don't like being caught up in the rivalry. Maybe he'll cut you a deal.

$4 for 80cf fill.

I would be really interested in figuring how much it costs an LDS to fill tanks by factoring in all their costs such as:

How much did they pay for the compressor? - High pressure compressors are expensive pieces of equipment.

How much does it cost to run the compressor?
- maintenance costs - oil's, filters, part replacement, gas/electricity, high pressure hose replacement, high pressure fittings, keeping the compressor room at an acceptable temperature when running, etc

How much did their cascade system cost and how many tanks do they have in their cascade system?

How much does the annual maintenance cost on the cascade system?
- including having the tanks hydro'ed every five years, replacing fittings, seals, hoses, etc

How many tanks do they have for rent?

How much does it cost them to do maintenance on the tanks?
- annual visual inspections, hydro inspections every five years, replacing valves as needed and seals, etc

part's replacement and maintenance costs?
hoses, fittings, pressure gauges, etc

How much does the lds value the labor of doing all the fill station work, including maintenace?

When it get's down to it their are allot of costs in setting up, running, and doing the maintenance on a fill station. There are several one time costs that the LDS would expect to pay off over a period of time and even more maintenance costs that the LDS would need to be able to pay off quickly or they would accumulate over years. I would think the LDS could base their fill prices based on volume, not so much on the volume of tanks filled, but the number of tanks filled in a years time that are going out for rental for customer fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom