USUN XB30 Drive with "Shop" air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InWay2Deep

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a USUN XB30 for booting 2L and AL40's. I can't seem to find the CFM requirements for drive gas. Just the 8.3Bar max input pressure. This is easily done using a regular "shop" air compressor. Anyone have a setup like this? What compressor do you use and what kind of pre-filter do you have in place? Would a little pancake compressor keep up? Trying to minimize trips to the dive shop for drive gas if possible as I have an H bottle of O2 I'm filling from.

Thanks

I did try using mine with a small compressor, and a separator, but at the low flow rate, the separator didn't work very well, and when I stripped it, it with filthy. I was concerned at the minimal separation between the drive and O2 side

I have a "small" 2 stage 20gal compressor which does 5.5cfm at 90psi. It does rebreather bottles fine, but I have to wait for it to refill on anything larger when pressure gets above 2500. Due to the large volumes of air required it would be a good idea to have a large cooling/filter system.
20220806_140845.jpg

Img_1517.jpg

A little pancake compressor won't do it. I go with a generic calculation that it takes a scuba cylinder of drive air to fill a rebreather bottle. There can be a lot of variation to that, what is the start pressures of both bottles, how large of a scuba cylinder, etc. With that you have an approximate cubic feet of drive gas needed.

But there is more. Most home shop style compressors are not rated at 100% duty cycle. They will burn out if run full time. It actually takes a fairly large and robust compressor to do it right. I run a 5HP Ingersol Rand 2-stage on a 60 gallon tank. It will keep up and cycle at about a 50% duty cycle running my Haskel.

Large tanks are nice for a couple of reasons. Probably the best overlooked one is the large surface area. That works good for cooling the air.

2-stage has a benefit that is way overlooked at drying the air. Being compressed to a higher pressure forces more of the water to condense out. Then when you regulate that air pressure down to a lower pressure it is dryer. Much like how air from a scuba tank is nearly as dry as possible, the water was squeezed out from high pressure so you don't get any at low pressures. Same thing happens to a lesser degree running a compressor at a higher pressure than your operating pressure.

Another factor of running higher pressure is the compressor has a hysteresis on the pressure switch. The compressor may cycle on at 150 PSI and off at 175 PSI for example. It will be listed as a 175 PSI compressor. But will deliver only 150 PSI (or less) of consistent air delivery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom