Drive Gas Haskell Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, had a question if anyone uses or setup a air compressor to use with their Haskell for drive gas?

I was looking to use an air compressor and equip w/ a oil separator, and water separator

but wanted to get input if anyone else was doing this and if they had success with using filters that keep the air clean before entering their units.

I already had water filters for spray painting, but I made this for the booster.

20220806_140845.jpg

nice! Any issues w/ the booster?
how many CFM is your compressor pumping out?

If you’re doing significant boosting and want to run it off a shop compressor, you want the largest one you can fit/afford. A shop compressor is not going to refill itself as fast as a large Haskell can suck drive gas out of it.

I am filling smaller rebreather bottles (2-3L) a few at a time, maybe once in a while a AL 40 and topping it off, IE from 1500 - 3K PSI.
rough estimates for the Haskill i have (mini sport booster), is for a 2L for a top off from 2K to 3K seems to take around 15-20 cu ft of drive gas to top off to 3K, again those are very rough estimates based on what I observed pumping a few bottles the past few days.
I wlll check the CFM of the compressor i have, and see if its worth using.

nice! Any issues w/ the booster?
how many CFM is your compressor pumping out?
I have 2 compressors feeding a 30gal tank, I'd guess around 5cfm @ 90psi. I have a GBD40-OL which has a drive gas pressure limit of 120psi, and I run it at 100 since the dessicant water filter housing is only rated for 150psi. I only run one compressor to fill 40s and 13s, because it only takes a few pump cycles to top those off.

I'm debating on getting a little booster for my CCR fills as well and had a similar question.

Main concern with me is space. What CFM shop compressor will I need for a these small bottle fills?

I thought about running them from a 80 filled from my dive compressor but the reducer is more then a new shop compressor.

My 5HP Ingersoll Rand 2-stage 60-gallon air compressor states 15.8 SCFM and a max pressure of 175. That has no issues with running my Haskel sport booster. The compressor is not maxed out either. I also run the booster a little slower than the max pump speed as well. Trying to not get the little 3L bottles too hot too fast. To get the full fill it wants 150 PSI of drive gas.

I'm debating on getting a little booster for my CCR fills as well and had a similar question.

Main concern with me is space. What CFM shop compressor will I need for a these small bottle fills?

I thought about running them from a 80 filled from my dive compressor but the reducer is more then a new shop compressor.
You can run the big ones off of a tiny 110v compressor, just very slowly. What is important to note though is that even with some sort of accumulator tank you are running up to pressure and then nearly instantly dropping to 0psi so it's a lot of hammering on the pump every time it cycles. It seems to be the regulators that take most of the beating as the compressor itself doesn't really care.

My boosters all run from low pressure high volume compressors. You will need a fair amount of drying, whether it be mechanical or refrigerated. Using desiccant to remove the volume of moisture you need to pull with be costly and annoying.
I have a 10hp 120 gallon compressor with another 90 gallons of auxiliary storage and a lot of mechanical cooling that feeds my boosters. It works well and it keep us, but it is a long stretch from hooking a $300 home depot compressor up to the booster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom