What's the point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassi Devil Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Like the title says what's the point.
looks more like stomach mount than sidemount to me, may as well put a couple tanks on your back, or if you need to carry that much gas get a rebreather.
I think someone is more interested in Insta hits than practical diving solutions.

306532204_158178916885696_880840533401169239_n.jpg
306454246_158178890219032_3619031182470723500_n.jpg

where do you put your arms?

if your dropping stages a long the way to a side mount only restriction, maybe.

Another tool in the toolbox, and beneficial in situations of passageway restrictions. As said, that picture is likely a configuration to drop stages along the way. Some use it (sidemount configuration) for health issues where manifold doubles are too physically demanding (back/knee issues). Others use the valve location to facilitate reaching them due to injury limitations (shoulder injuries limit mobility).

Any diver attempting a dive needing that much gas and stages is going to be pretty cluttered despite being sidemount + stages or backmount + stages...

The kids wanting to be cool lead to discussions like this this...

The kids wanting to be cool lead to discussions like this this...

Actual cool kids take these pics doing something cool, not posing in a swimming pool.

It looks like some effort went into composing these shots so I feel justified in calling them posers.

This is exactly how I would carry four stages. Easy enough to don/doff on the go and still more streamlined than back mount. I would not do it in a wetsuit.

Training to be proficient with more than you plan to use reduces task loading on "real dives". I have used this many bottles on open water deco dives, and I could see putting this many on to setup stages in preparation for big cave dives.

Good luck getting to your backup lights or deploying a long hose....if a rig like that even has one. Guess you also dont keep your cutting tool on your waist band.....oh, and, ah, where's the light canister?

But, in a pool I guess it works.....

Good luck getting to your backup lights or deploying a long hose....if a rig like that even has one. Guess you also dont keep your cutting tool on your waist band.....oh, and, ah, where's the light canister?

But, in a pool I guess it works.....
I actually think the long hose is donatable in this, and light canister is mounted on the butt, with backup lights either on a helmet or butt pouch. That said…

Nobody really dives like this and it’s wildly uncomfortable. Six AL80s of nitrox in a wetsuit blows, and if you’re in the water for long enough to necessitate that many bottles, you’re in a drysuit. If you really need that many bottles from a penetration perspective, you’re on a CCR or a scooter and or there’s helium in them such that they’re not so negative. Pulling empty bottles from a long push dive, they’re buoyant enough to just leash them on your butt. It’s a fun show piece, but it’s a little ridic to publicize it and have people think there are actually people diving like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom