Ideas for equipment line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I'll be starting sidemount diving off of boats come spring.
During the idle winter months I'd like to put together an equipment line to hang my steel tanks on at the end of the dive so to make my entry back on the boat easier. I was thinking a piece of rope with a loop at the end to attach to the boat and 2 attachment points on the rope some distance apart from each other so I don't have to pull up the weight of 2 cylinders but can rope them on board one at a time. I'll have double enders with paracord around the neck of the tanks. Any tips on what kind of rope to use? What to use as fixed attachment points on the line? Do you throw the line overboard at the start of the dive or you ask the crew to throw it in when you're done?

Tips (and pictures!) appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

I dive off a small boat and I use a gear line (technically speaking, it's a line -- never a rope -- on a boat) to hang my tank/BC and other gear (not sidemount) before boarding. There's usually no crew on my boat so I try to remember to hang the lines over before I get in but they are rigged so that I can reach up to the gunnel from the water and grab them if I forget.

The best line on the market is probably Samson Amsteel or equivalent (it's dynema -- the strongest line for it's weight) but it's rather expensive and probably overkill for the application so mostly I use a good braided nylon line. I figure 1/4" or 3/8" nylon is more than enough if it's in good shape. Replace as needed when the line shows wear and tear. Polypro is cheap but degrades and frays in sunlight so I wouldn't use that. Also it doesn't hold a knot well.

I like to put a couple of large bolt snaps on the line so I can clip off my gear and not have to fumble for a snap. If you already have snaps on the tanks you can tie a couple of butterfly loops into the line and clip to those. The other end gets attached to a cleat, stanchion, or other secure point on the boat.

I make sure the lines are short enough that any gear will not be able to get into the prop. Obviously, all gear should be on board before the boat gets underway but you never know.... in the heat of the moment, mistakes have been made o_O. Better to have your tanks bump the side of the boat once or twice and remind you they're there than to ding the prop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom