What's the point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rddvet I don't even think the dude is cave trained. I visited his instagram, I don't see any cave photos. Mostly Indo-Pacific OW or a deep quarry in the UK.
I don't think he's a cave diver either. A few of the fb cool guys that do this crap are just ow tech dudes. But we have quite a few of the kardashians in cave country too, hence the name's origin

You guys hit the nail on the head. Today's crop of young divers are no different than their above-water peers. I loved that meme about Neil Armstrong going to the moon and taking something like 5 photos and some Kardashian wanna-be going to the bathroom and taking more than 100 selfies.
Ya, Neil Armstrong took those photos with a Hasselblad camera, on film. Today’s ”photography” is so easy that the art is lost.

SeaRat

One reason I will never dive in this manner, with all those bottles, is that we ol’ divers remember that we dove “no-decompression” diving for a reason. The main one was that there was no recompression chambers immediately available. Those who remember Jacques Cousteau, and the Calypso, don’t apparently remember that the Calypso was equipped with a recompression chamber from the get-go, and it was featured in Cousteau’s first film, The Silent World. The technical divers of today forget this lesson from yesterday. But that doesn’t matter if all you’re doing is posing for photos in a pool.

SeaRat

Ya, Neil Armstrong took those photos with a Hasselblad camera, on film. Today’s ”photography” is so easy that the art is lost.

SeaRat
Meh. Automated high tech compared to a large format camera.

I am mentally deranged to hope for a cost effective digital back for my 4x5....

You sure?
Well, I see a whole lot of writing about technical divers diving in places without a chamber available. I helped put together a written protocol for some deep diving in 1975 at the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archaeological Project about helicopter evacuation of a stricken diver using USAF helicopters to the closest chamber. Without a chamber immediately available, do you technical divers at least have contingency plan written out for evacuation to a chamber?

SeaRat

Well, I see a whole lot of writing about technical divers diving in places without a chamber available. I helped put together a written protocol for some deep diving in 1975 at the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archaeological Project about helicopter evacuation of a stricken diver using USAF helicopters to the closest chamber. Without a chamber immediately available, do you technical divers at least have contingency plan written out for evacuation to a chamber?

SeaRat
The one nice thing about diving in Greece is that the Hellenic Coast Guard has pressurized helicopters for the sponge divers that other divers can use in case of an emergency.

You won’t see one cause there isn’t one. Definitely all posturing
If thats the case he would be better off spending his time making a little video of one of his favourite diving spots. It doesn't have to be a big deal, something simple and honest of a local creek that people recognise but may not have seen underwater. People love to see whats underneath bodies of water that there passing everyday.

If thats the case he would be better off spending his time making a little video of one of his favourite diving spots. It doesn't have to be a big deal, something simple and honest of a local creek that people recognise but may not have seen underwater. People love to see whats underneath bodies of water that there passing everyday.
That’s what I did about six years ago for my favorite spot on the Clackamas River, High Rocks, near Portland, Oregon.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom