Question What mix to use for 200ft (60m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closer to $500 than $300.
I check with my local shot and my "staff rate" for 18/45 mix would be $300 for a single 100 cuft cylinder. So it would be $600 for a set of doubles.

Yes I understand I would still have that initial investment of filling a bailout cylinder/s but hopefully I would not need to use it so it would be a one time expense.

1. The writing is on the wall for open circuit deep diving simply because the helium isn’t available in the quantities required for OC.

2. Rebreathers are nothing like open circuit to dive. They are complex machines which require a lot of practice to safely dive deep, i.e. with significant amounts of decompression.

Thus your future will be on a rebreather if you want to dive the deeper wrecks.

3. Rebreathers are expensive both in the $10k+++ initial outlay but also in the minimum two courses you must take (MOD1 for the initial CCR training, plus the MOD2 for the deep training) which will cost $3k+ each (inc course costs, travel, accommodation, etc). Then you absolutely must put the hours in on the unit such that you are diving the rebreather, not the other way around. Say 100 hours between courses.

Thus you may find it is a long term aspiration.

In the short to medium term, get some decompression training on open circuit. The ANDP (advanced nitrox and decompression procedures) course would be an excellent starting point which allows you to do much longer bottom times with additional decompression stage(s). This experience will massively help you on your way to rebreather diving later in your career.

It’s a marathon not a sprint. There’s no rush as you’ve got time on your side.
I'm very aware this is a marathon however, if I can figure out how to most efficiently spend my money then that would be the most ideal situation for me :). I think I'm looking at the KISS Sidewinder, unless something similar comes to market when Im ready to buy.

I'm very aware this is a marathon however, if I can figure out how to most efficiently spend my money then that would be the most ideal situation for me :). I think I'm looking at the KISS Sidewinder, unless something similar comes to market when Im ready to buy.
Probably the worst choice for wreck diving out there... have you been watching divetalk?

I suppose that is AN option. I can't easily think of a time it would be a good option for a wreck diver or a new CCR diver.

Probably the worst choice for wreck diving out there... have you been watching divetalk?
I agree. But it’s cheap.

It seems that @Dann-Oh is especially sensitive to price. As a recovering cheapskate myself, I understand the concept. As a technical diver with a few years experience now, I now find it much more effective to focus on figuring out the proper plan first based on the dive environment and requirements, and only *then* start to optimize on price. The plan does not have to be the absolute optimal plan (‘perfect is the enemy of good enough‘), and price may play a role in selecting between a couple of highly-effective solutions. But picking fundamental strategy based primarily on price… in the end this often provides substantially less actual *value*.

Fortunately, @Dann-Oh is some time away from this decision. I hope he ends up with something that delivers more than minimal value. And maybe my armchair psychological analysis is completely wrong. In the end, as long as it is *safe*, what solution he uses is up to him.

I agree. But it’s cheap.

It seems that @Dann-Oh is especially sensitive to price.
I have ZERO issue spending the money on the right tool. I do know that I REALLY REALLY enjoy Sidemount OC Rec diving, I listen to Speaking Sidemount with Steve Davis podcast, he does a lot of wreck diving and comes from an Sidemount OC Tech background. It just seems that it would make sense to get a sidemount rebreather if I like OC Sidemount.

As a recovering cheapskate myself, I understand the concept. As a technical diver with a few years experience now, I now find it much more effective to focus on figuring out the proper plan first based on the dive environment and requirements, and only *then* start to optimize on price. The plan does not have to be the absolute optimal plan (‘perfect is the enemy of good enough‘), and price may play a role in selecting between a couple of highly-effective solutions. But picking fundamental strategy based primarily on price… in the end this often provides substantially less actual *value*.

Fortunately, @Dann-Oh is some time away from this decision. I hope he ends up with something that delivers more than minimal value. And maybe my armchair psychological analysis is completely wrong. In the end, as long as it is *safe*, what solution he uses is up to him.
This is kind of the reason why I made this thread originally, to see if the cost of learning tech (read deco diving) on OC or CC. I understand, I can spend anywhere from $6K to $15K (including travel and training and unit) to get ready for 200ft CC diving. Honestly, my pricing of $600 for a fill of doubles of 18/45 seems the cost of the rebreather will be recovered pretty quickly. I also understand that I will have A LOT of diving to do in order to get a place where I am using 18/45 at 200ft..

And maybe my armchair psychological analysis is completely wrong. In the end, as long as it is *safe*, what solution he uses is up to him.
I have a 2 year old kid and we are trying for #2. So my solution/decision making process, I'm sure everyone else makes this decision as well, is always geared towards how can I make sure I make it home safely at the end of the day to be with my family. I am also not crazy wealthy so I dont really want to waste money, I'm sure no one likes wasting money, but I'm also not really trying to be a cheapskate.

If a JJ or Meg or Optima or Revo are a better tool for shipwreck diving then I'm totally interested in learning more about them. I do know a few local divers who regularly do deep wreck dives (their group is certified to 300ft/100m or greater) but they are the only group I know thats doing these kinds of dives.

I have ZERO issue spending the money on the right tool. I do know that I REALLY REALLY enjoy Sidemount OC Rec diving, I listen to Speaking Sidemount with Steve Davis podcast, he does a lot of wreck diving and comes from an Sidemount OC Tech background. It just seems that it would make sense to get a sidemount rebreather if I like OC Sidemount.
If you're into SM diving, you can use a Choptima; it's fully compatible with both SM and BM tanks. (I'll leave it to others to debate the merits of the Choptima for the dives you're interested in.)

Also -- and this is admittedly secondhand -- my Choptima instructor was quite dismissive of the Sidewinder. His assessment, delivered with a scowl, was "It sucks."

If a JJ or Meg or Optima or Revo are a better tool for shipwreck diving then I'm totally interested in learning more about them.
I think any of those would be a better option. I don't currently own a JJ but have dove them. I own the other three. They all have strengths and weaknesses. It comes down to what diving you want to do and what weaknesses you are willing to have.
No rebreather is perfect for everything.
Also -- and this is admittedly secondhand -- my Choptima instructor was quite dismissive of the Sidewinder. His assessment, delivered with a scowl, was "It sucks."
I wouldn't say the SW sucks. It is a good tool for a very specific type of diving. I would say it sucks as a first unit. I would say it sucks for boat diving. But the unit in general has many merits where it works incredibly well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom