Whats after master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard, if you scroll down the UTD page you linked to, it says:

UTD18.jpg

Obviously there's some wires crossed somewhere.

All the best, James

Yeah, there's clearly a website error there.

I'd hate to see this thread degenerate into arguments about the two classes, or age limits, or the like. The bottom line is that both classes will introduce skills and concepts that the OP probably hasn't encountered in his training thus far, and mastery of those skills will make anybody, I think, a more comfortable and confident diver.

I am also in strong agreement that, when your diving tells you what you need to know or to be able to do, you go find training to learn that thing. But to some degree, that fails at the lowest levels, because the student may not know the thing is even there to learn. Many divers here in Puget Sound have no idea that there are ways to kick without disturbing the silt on the bottom, because they were trained by people who don't know those things, and they have never seen someone dive without silting. The same goes for being able to back up -- I know quite a few people, in life and on line, who are astonished to find that it's even possible!

It's hard to yearn for what you don't know exists. That's why either diving with DIR or cave trained mentors, or taking the classes which have been mentioned, is something I will continue to recommend to anyone, regardless of their diving goals.

Richard, if you scroll down the UTD page you linked to, it says:

UTD18.jpg

Obviously there's some wires crossed somewhere.

All the best, James

Interesting, its 16yo as a "prerequisite" but 18yo as a "requirement" Must mean you can start at 16 but can't finish until you're 18 :wink:

... that requires a minimum of 50 dives ... or a provisional rating from a GUE Fundamentals class ... whichever comes first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or an armchair from which to... erm... debate.

I like deep diving and i mean deep

Out of curiosity, how do you know that?

Interesting, its 16yo as a "prerequisite" but 18yo as a "requirement" Must mean you can start at 16 but can't finish until you're 18 :wink:

...Of course!! <smacks forehead> :wink:

All the best, James

Now with this new information I am going to suggest some courses that are absolutely free, available in your area and will definately help you with tech diving down the road. At 16 you may still have time to get in on them...
Highschool science classes :depressed:
If you think you might be interested in marine biology I'd add HSBio classes too.
Since so much of decompression diving is gas physics you couldn't go wrong having a solid science based foundation.
Disregard if you are already taking them (and good for you).

Yeah, there's clearly a website error there.

I'd hate to see this thread degenerate into arguments about the two classes, or age limits, or the like. The bottom line is that both classes will introduce skills and concepts that the OP probably hasn't encountered in his training thus far, and mastery of those skills will make anybody, I think, a more comfortable and confident diver.

I am also in strong agreement that, when your diving tells you what you need to know or to be able to do, you go find training to learn that thing. But to some degree, that fails at the lowest levels, because the student may not know the thing is even there to learn. Many divers here in Puget Sound have no idea that there are ways to kick without disturbing the silt on the bottom, because they were trained by people who don't know those things, and they have never seen someone dive without silting. The same goes for being able to back up -- I know quite a few people, in life and on line, who are astonished to find that it's even possible!

It's hard to yearn for what you don't know exists. That's why either diving with DIR or cave trained mentors, or taking the classes which have been mentioned, is something I will continue to recommend to anyone, regardless of their diving goals.

That may be true but I'll turn that last statement back around on you. Taking DIR classes early on will also preclude exposure to some avenues of diving. There too, "you don't know what you don't know". You'll never catch the love of vintage equipment diving from that agency or minimalist diving or find much support for RB or OW SM diving, some forms of science based diving or photography. You will also find some types of diving minimalized by that community while other forms will be maximized. Great if that turns out to be what you want but I suspect there are some people doing dives within that group because that is what everybody else is doing instead of it truly being what they want to do.

I appreciate those agencies for what they are and what they have to offer but they are not the be all, end all of diving and they really aren't for everybody, all the time. Divers can be exposed to, or learn, good basic dives skills in many other setting.

That may be true but I'll turn that last statement back around on you. Taking DIR classes early on will also preclude exposure to some avenues of diving. There too, "you don't know what you don't know". You'll never catch the love of vintage equipment diving from that agency or minimalist diving or find much support for RB or OW SM diving, some forms of science based diving or photography. You will also find some types of diving minimalized by that community while other forms will be maximized. Great if that turns out to be what you want but I suspect there are some people doing dives within that group because that is what everybody else is doing instead of it truly being what they want to do.

I appreciate those agencies for what they are and what they have to offer but they are not the be all, end all of diving and they really aren't for everybody, all the time. Divers can be exposed to, or learn, good basic dives skills in many other setting.

And to take a little issue with your assumption. When one takes Fundies that doesn't preclude him or her from diving other ways. DIR/GUE teaches ways to manage inherent dangers in diving using equipment and technique. They also teach that SCUBA diving is fun!

It would appear that you are suggesting that one who takes a GUE course is now locked in to a lifestyle, and will no longer be able to appreciate other aspects of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom