Whats after master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, "cult" is an easy shorthand for "don't even thinking about diving any other way than the way we taught you". :)

I agree with you, Dale, wholeheartedly -- Joe Talavera taught me, "Do all the diving your current training fits you to do, and when you want to do something more, go take more training." And I think he was a very wise man.

And I'll plead guilty to having implied that someone who has taken recreational training through Rescue hasn't been taught proper diving skills. Unfortunately, that is what I see day after day in Puget Sound. Shoot, I see INSTRUCTORS who dive at a 45 degree angle and leave broad silt trails behind them. If I saw more well-trained students, I'd probably sing a different tune.

It sounds as though the original poster has decided he doesn't need to take a class to learn any of the things that I've described the class as teaching, so the whole discussion is moot, anyway.

And I'll plead guilty to having implied that someone who has taken recreational training through Rescue hasn't been taught proper diving skills. Unfortunately, that is what I see day after day in Puget Sound. Shoot, I see INSTRUCTORS who dive at a 45 degree angle and leave broad silt trails behind them.
I saw some yesterday, while I was out working with my OW student. It was painful to watch the vis drop from 40 feet to about 8 feet with the simple passing of an instructor and three students doing a navigation specialty.

Oh well, at least they were making their own class a bit more intriguing ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ill talk with my instructor and see what i can do to get into basic tech diving at this age.

No agency will accept you as a technical diving student at <18yo. You can do preliminary courses like "Intro to Tech" (with various agencies) or GUE's "Fundementals". But you can't take any actual decompression or overhead courses. Sorry you're too young.

Good luck in the army.

I still think the GUE Primer would be an inexpensive and succinct reality check re were he's at now and where he expects to be in six months.

And, contrary to popular belief, DIR diving is not a cult, and you don't have to sign away your first-born to do the classes . . .

It can't hurt to try though.

But you can't take any actual decompression or overhead courses. Sorry you're too young.

Good luck in the army.
Incorrect. NACD has granted waivers for cavern as young as 12, and I've seen some kids as young as 15 or 16 get Full Cave. Somewhat shocking, but true.

I have a cavern card from when I was 12 years old to prove it. Sad, really, I didn't get the knowledge out of the course I should have. I fell for the trap of "He's president of the agency", blindly followed, and did stupid things like young kids do.

I'm for taking either the GUE Primer or Fundamentals courses, Fundies was a GREAT course!

Last edited:
Oh, "cult" is an easy shorthand for "don't even thinking about diving any other way than the way we taught you". :)

Drink the kool-ade :shocked2:

Ive looked at being a navy diver, but for now i want to fly helicopters for the army. Maybe i will make a transfer at some point...lets see how things go in flight school first. And as for the tech diver, my instructor teaches Tech too, no one ever said i had to go to a shop and take a class to learn :) he does some stuff on the side too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom