Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LukeC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a medical doctor in my late twenties based in the UK. I am looking to take a career break to travel and do my dive master. I am qualified up to rescue diver with about 80 dives logged.

I would maybe want to combine my medical career with diving one day. However, my main motivation is to learn more, to get more dives under my belt and to travel. I have the following questions for the board please:

1) Where would you recommend I did my dive master (currently looking at the Philippines).
2) Anyone had experience with marine conservation in Philipines or Thresher Shark Divers?
3) How many dives would I end up logging roughly after a 8 week period.
4) Is a dive master worth doing if I do not intend to necessarily work as a DM?

Thank you in advance

Luke

The last question is the most important one. That answer is no, it is not worth it unless you intend to work (full-time or part-time) as a dive pro. Even then, DM is generally used as a step towards instructor.

As for how many dives you’ll do, it depends on the op. But you can generally expect 2-4 dives per day for 5 days a week or so.

Keep in mind that your dives will be working dives. Best way to think about it: I sure do enjoy driving my car, especially on a scenic route, but wouldn’t want to be an Uber or Deliveroo driver… DM trainees are the Deliveroo drivers of scuba world, with the exception that Deliveroo drivers actually get paid.

Maybe you could talk to your local BSAC club to get some knowledge and training while still in the UK? They are usually starved for younger members so you might score some guest dives without joining the branch.

Also DDRC in Plymouth might have few career suggestions.

Hi @LukeC

What is your medical specialty?

Sorry, can't help you with DM, you would want to be at least an instructor to use that in part of a career. Not sure why you would do that instead of practicing medicine, except as a hobby.

I did look into combining my medical training with scuba diving. I went as far as getting certified for hyperbaric chamber operation. I was already a faculty member of a US medical school and thought about joining the faculty at one of the numerous offshore medical schools. Of course, I could also have practiced medicine. Eventually I abandoned this pathway and finished my career in the US, overall, a very good move. I have been able to dive quite a lot, regardless.

You're starting a bit younger than I was, best of luck in you pursuit. My plan would have been much better for a single man without a family, I was neither.

3. These would not be "fun" dives as a DMT, they would be work.
4. Absolutely not.

I am a medical doctor in my late twenties based in the UK. I am looking to take a career break to travel and do my dive master. I am qualified up to rescue diver with about 80 dives logged.

I would maybe want to combine my medical career with diving one day. However, my main motivation is to learn more, to get more dives under my belt and to travel. I have the following questions for the board please:

1) Where would you recommend I did my dive master (currently looking at the Philippines).
2) Anyone had experience with marine conservation in Philipines or Thresher Shark Divers?
3) How many dives would I end up logging roughly after a 8 week period.
4) Is a dive master worth doing if I do not intend to necessarily work as a DM?

Thank you in advance

Luke
When you get back to the U.K. have a think about becoming a dive medical referee with the UK Diving Medical Committee (UKDMC). Who are always looking for new referees, pm me if you want more as to what they do.

If you are an MD and are willing to be the ship (or resort) doctor I think you could easily find work on expedition or maybe even larger liveaboard ships. Just make sure your contract includes all the diving you can eat in addition to the other aspects of compensation. Getting your DM to get out diving (with an MD already) would be like a retired navy captain learning how to clean the head in order to get on a ship.

If you are an MD and are willing to be the ship (or resort) doctor I think you could easily find work on expedition or maybe even larger liveaboard ships. Just make sure your contract includes all the diving you can eat in addition to the other aspects of compensation. Getting your DM to get out diving (with an MD already) would be like a retired navy captain learning how to clean the head in order to get on a ship.
Not a captain, but a friend of mine was a retired Coast Guard Commander (and CO on the Alert) who ended up working for our state ferry system. Because of union rules combined with his unlimited masters' license, he'd show up to work and might be cleaning heads, or might be driving the boat....

On the DM: I'm not seeing a good reason to do this. That said, I think the DM training is actually good for you as a diver. You learn a lot in the process. Just don't get certified as a DM. It does nothing but add liability in your case. Go to the tropics, have a purpose for hanging out there, enjoy learning about more dive theory and supervision of others than you thought possible, and enjoy it.

I can't recommend a spot in the Philippines, but message me if you want a recommendation for the Caribbean. Or do as others suggested, and talk to BSAC or your local dive shops.

Not a captain, but a friend of mine was a retired Coast Guard Commander (and CO on the Alert) who ended up working for our state ferry system. Because of union rules combined with his unlimited masters' license, he'd show up to work and might be cleaning heads, or might be driving the boat....

On the DM: I'm not seeing a good reason to do this. That said, I think the DM training is actually good for you as a diver. You learn a lot in the process. Just don't get certified as a DM. It does nothing but add liability in your case. Go to the tropics, have a purpose for hanging out there, enjoy learning about more dive theory and supervision of others than you thought possible, and enjoy it.

I can't recommend a spot in the Philippines, but message me if you want a recommendation for the Caribbean. Or do as others suggested, and talk to BSAC or your local dive shops.
When you say adds liability do you mean the old discussion about an accident on a boat where you were vacationing and actually being a certified DM (or instructor) may put you at risk morseo than if you weren't? A much discussed topic here-- some would agree and others not. When I took charters in FL I didn't worry about it.

When you say adds liability do you mean the old discussion about an accident on a boat where you were vacationing and actually being a certified DM (or instructor) may put you at risk morseo than if you weren't? A much discussed topic here-- some would agree and others not. When I took charters in FL I didn't worry about it.
Probably spoke too strongly. I'm not an attorney, but I tend to err on the side of caution. Maybe it adds liability, maybe it doesn't. But I'm guessing you'd at least have a potential legal headache to deal with, even if not liable in the dive boat scenario.

Still, I should have left that out. My main point is that the DM course itself teaches a lot, and can make you a better diver. Unless you're going to work as a DM or become an instructor later I'm not sure it's critical to get the card.

Back
Top Bottom