Whats after master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I understand Essentials from UTD is not even close to the same level of training as GUE Fundamentals.

I don't know that from personal experience, rather that's from someone who's taken both.

From what I understand Essentials from UTD is not even close to the same level of training as GUE Fundamentals.

I don't know that from personal experience, rather that's from someone who's taken both.

They are not intended to be the same things. UTD Essentials is more like GUE Primer and is generally done in a single tank. GUE Fundamentals is more like UTD Intro to Tech.

This could become....ugly.

All the best, James

This could become....ugly.

All the best, James

Could... but the OP/kid really just needs some people to go diving and improve with :)

The scubaboard e-cert Master Debater.

... that requires a minimum of 50 dives ... or a provisional rating from a GUE Fundamentals class ... whichever comes first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like deep diving and i mean deep, and wreck diving. I love to explore new sites no ones been to before. Tech diving has my interest but im too young and im willingly to admit too inexperienced. For now ill stick with my local shore diving till i have enough to look at tech.

Wayne Kerr would agree with you all.

Narced Out -- some free advice from someone who has absolutely no axe to grind in this matter.

a. The quesion, "What do YOU want out of diving?" is a very good one. If you want to become a skilled diver, then you need to work on your skills -- easily said, not so easily done.

b. More "recreational classes/training" vs. the "intoduction to technical training" route (i.e., Fundamentals or Essentials) -- The problem I see in too much of the "recreational" training is that the instructors are training people up to their level of training. They may have a lot of training and/or a lot of experience (but not necessarily!) AT THE LEVEL THEY TEACH. However, their "world view" of Scuba will be limited if that is the case (or may well be limited). That is why people are suggesting Fundies or Essentials -- because those instructors are teaching BELOW the level of their training so their "world view" of scuba is generally broader.

I am not necessarily a fan of taking more classes as opposed to taking more instruction. A class might not be what you need whereas having more specific instruction may make all the difference in the world for you.

You mention your Sac rate is 0.8 (I'm assuming cubic feet per minute) -- which is, quite frankly, not all that great for someone who has done 25+ dives (with a fair number of classes). I'd be willing to bet your balance and trim are off which means you are working harder than you need to work. There also may be some issues with your gear setup that is also making you work harder than you need. While getting into the "right class" might help you here, I'd suggest looking into hiring a "technically oriented" instructor for a dive or two to work on YOUR specific issues.

If you went into Fundies (for example) you'd be introduced to several things that, while nice, may not be all that relevant at the moment (learning and practicing S-drills, no-mask ascents, etc.) when you need to spend more time on something else (perhaps balance, trim and perhaps your kicks).

As someone else wrote, you seem to have the right attitude -- now you just need to find the right person to get you over this hump and to a "higher" level of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom