Whats after master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What last specialty should i do? What other ones are there? Since im only 16 is there any thing higher for me to go than master divers? What other options/routes can i take. Or do i get to just rack up dive experience till im 18? :D

Narced Out

Navigation would be the best choice. As was said MSD is the limit for recreational diving with PADI, so finish your quest and dive. The certs are minimum standards so, at this point you should dive, have fun and become proficient at what you learned.

Then take Liuk3's advice "Take GUE Fundamentals and then go log a few hundred dives. You'll know what you want to do after that."

In any event, if you choose to get other certs go to different instructors with other agencies at different locations and see how your training and experience stacks up with other programs. This will help you later when you are deciding on your next program and instructor.

If you like diving, go dive. You can take classes anytime and since it sounds like you can read, there is no law that says you cannot learn without an instructor.

Bob
--------------------------------------
“One thing is for sure you can't lie about your skills when you get in the water. The water tells everything!!! “ Mayor

Sweet, im doing lots of deep diving with a new dive buddy i met a few months back, we actually found some reefs of the coast almost no one knew about and now were thinking of marking it...But yea i love diving and i plan to keep doing it once in the military. i have also been working on buoyancy at depth so i dont breathe as hard. SAC rate is now .8 :)

My final word to the op is to go diving, meet new people and the path you should be on will present itself to you, not be marketed and sold to you.

PADI Open Water Manual, Chapter 5...and Exam:

"Go places, Meet People, Do Things...." :D

What last specialty should i do? What other ones are there? Since im only 16 is there any thing higher for me to go than master divers? What other options/routes can i take. Or do i get to just rack up dive exerpience till im 18? :D

IMO, focus on just diving.

+1 on GUE Fundamentals, but there's no rush for you.

I would highly recommend talking to Steve Millington or Marc Hall (who is in San Diego) about a GUE Primer class. I don't think there is any age minimum for doing that.

Or, in the alternative, go post in the SoCal section of this board and ask for experienced buddies to go diving with you. They just had a DIR dive day that had 40 people attending; there is tremendous support for that kind of diving in Southern California. Once you see what folks trained in that way can do, and how they dive, you can decide if this is something you want for yourself or not.

Once you see what folks trained in that way can do, and how they dive, you can decide if this is something you want for yourself or not.

You'll want it. Yes, take the primer. I wish I had.

GUE Primer Oct 23, 2010 Los Angeles, California, United States Steven Millington
GUE Primer Dec 11, 2010 Los Angeles, CA, United States Karim Hamza

GUE Fundamentals and UTD Essentials are both very good courses (I've taken both) if you really want to be proficient in both basic individual skills as well as team skills and they both include advanced (not necessarily technical, but a step towards that) dive and gas planning. The best things you will get out of both classes are "Why" and "How." As in "Why do we prefer a backplate/wing over a standard BCD?" and "How do I figure out my gas requirements for a dive?"

However, I'm still a big fan of finding experienced mentors, regardless of agency affiliation, and diving with them. Case in point: my regular group of dive buddies runs the gamut from newbie OW diver, to DIR diver, to non-DIR technical instructor and everything in between. When we have newer divers along, we tend to take it easy and look after them a bit more. When it's just the more advanced divers along, we can explore different stuff that we don't normally visit. But we are diving regularly and that's the best way to learn about diving IMO.

Peace,
Greg

Instead of telling you what to do, I would ask what it is you want out of diving.

If you don't know what that is, go out and dive until you do.

When you know, do that kind of diving until you find yourself limited by your training. By then you will know what to do next.

Sounds patronizing but it's not.

I think that most divers would list good control, buoyancy, trim and air consumption as some of their diving goals. They generally fall under the ambition to be a 'good' diver.

It wouldn't be very patronising to give advice based on a presumption that he'd want that :)

I think that most divers would list good control, buoyancy, trim and air consumption as some of their diving goals. They generally fall under the ambition to be a 'good' diver.

It wouldn't be very patronising to give advice based on a presumption that he'd want that :)

But, it might be presumptuous. Sorry if was presuptuous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom