Whats after master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truthfully, if it's PADI Master Diver I would forgo the cert. It's just a card that says you got five other cards, there's no training involved. Save your money for something worth while, like air fills.

Yeah, find some UTD or GUE guys and quit talking to people who just want to sell you some more stuff.

what does fundamentals do and what is gue...im new with all this stuff and just need advice to get on the right track.

Great attitude. The short answer is "everything, and nothing." Someone more patient and articulate than me will be along soon to answer your question.

what does fundamentals do and what is gue...im new with all this stuff and just need advice to get on the right track.

GUE Fundies/UTD Essentials takes the propaganda you already have programed in your mind (a system that makes money), and replaces it with a propaganda system that is centered around diving skills.

...........:D

Seriously, Fundies/Essentials are all about the craft of diving in a true team-like fashion. After you exit the class, you will be thinking "Why couldn't they teach us that in my OW class?"

All the best, James

<edit> Oops - just looked up the age requirements: UTD is 18 and GUE is 16.

Last edited:
I think that you should just go out and enjoy the sport and art of diving for awhile...their is mucho's more to it than taking a class!

you have a lot of time if you really plan on being a long term diver than just spending money on card's. toy's are a fun way to spend money! :D

GUE Fundies/UTD Essentials takes the propaganda you already have programed in your mind (a system that makes money), and replaces it with a propaganda system that is centered around diving skills.

...........:D

Seriously, Fundies/Essentials are all about the craft of diving in a true team-like fashion. After you exit the class, you will be thinking "Why couldn't they teach us that in my OW class?"

All the best, James

Nice one James.

But Avon..... he might be diving in Splitfins..... or using a SpareAir..... he'll die before long :wink:

Seriously though, the Fundies course is a fast-track to great buoyancy, trim and propulsion. It will provide some great considerations regarding configuration and safety. Note... 'considerations'.

There is nothing like it in the PADI system....and there should be.

I have no first hand knowledge of fundamentals or essentials. That being said go get yourself a mentor and dive alot. If you do the gue or dir thing I bet they have mentors to(someone has to be in charge of the cookies they say they have).

Seriously though either will work. The best way to get better at anything is through repetition and guidance, with a smattering of education thrown in along the way. Be a student of diving. Live it, breath it, study it, talk about it, dream about it, and go diving, alot.
Lately on SB there has been a rash of the same old crap being dispensed by differant people. Plenty of opinions and emmotion, and rehtoric to go around. Including the rally for more better specialties and regulation of open water diving ala the scuba police.
The reality is that the survival of the diver depends on the diver not the agency nor the govt. There are enough agencies and paths to take now that there is nothing that is not covered some how by some one. We as older experianced divers can not fix or regulate anything in regard to the masses. What we can do is show restraint from zealous opinions, moderate our beliefs in the agency we represent or participate in, and above all educate and mentor in a responsible way the people who seek knowledge.
I have been blessed with the oportunity to mentor people both proffesionally and in scuba. When we can set aside our egos we can realise that sometimes our students move beyond our capabilities or knowledge and that is a reflection back to the people who guided them along the way. Even when our students choose a path that we did not, or that we disagree with, it still is a happy feeling.
My final word to the op is to go diving, meet new people and the path you should be on will present itself to you, not be marketed and sold to you.
Eric

Master Diver Certification = PADI's marketing acumen. They are #1 for some good reasons...

Back
Top Bottom