Least expensive nitrox certification option in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wateraddiction

Registered
Reaction score
We're here now and I was hoping Nitrox cert would be easy/economical since we could step into a shop for testing, etc. Dressel wants $260 pp which sounded high -- 2-3 hrs of elearning and I don't know if that price includes a dive but I didn't keep asking questions after I heard the price.

We're only diving twice a day (while kids club is open) but we're headed to Bonaire in Dec. If we decide to do AOW and complete dives in Bonaire, it it more economical to add Nitrox as a specialty or is there no cost advantage to adding specialty dives to AOW (does it just save time to bundle the certs)? Husband is interested in Rescue Diver option since our kids will be getting certified when they turn 10 this Dec -- but that's looking like almost 1k in additional training, does that sound correct?

Thanks for any advice, I was surprised to see how much nitrox cert cost given there's no dives required (our local shop in Chicago wants $250).

The prices you are quoting are high because they involved PADI eLearning, which is costly.
To save some money, look at SDI training and see if you can do book/classroom rather than eLearning.

Dressel is a SDI shop and I was hoping they could just give us a book to read but they told us we would need to an elearning portion.....

Dressel is a SDI shop and I was hoping they could just give us a book to read but they told us we would need to an elearning portion.....
It is worth pressing Dressel on this. They do have SDI classes, but I suspect you are getting quoted the PADI class.
Also, check on doing it at home before you leave....again, not from a PADI shop, and not using eLearning.

On the other hand, depending on where you are going in Bonaire, the Nitrox may be free, so it is worth spending a little to get that benefit.

Rescue Diver is typically $400 or so. Do that in Bonaire.

We're here now and I was hoping Nitrox cert would be easy/economical since we could step into a shop for testing, etc. Dressel wants $260 pp which sounded high -- 2-3 hrs of elearning and I don't know if that price includes a dive but I didn't keep asking questions after I heard the price.
My wife and I got our nitrox certs several years ago at a dive shop here in Austin. I don't remember how much it cost but there wasn't a dive involved. There was just a book to read, a class or two, and a test.

I got my nitrox card in 2006ish. A book, 3 tables, 2 dives, I think, and a written test. It was PADI and my memory was that it was about $175 and included everything.

Because I was curious, I checked the website of the dive shop I use. They specifically set out nitrox cert and the other specialty certs. There's a heading above that says SSI courses have a 20% discount.

Nitrox course, manual not included, is $160. I suspect that taxes aren't included either.

But if your diving with Dressel, they offer free nitrox. At $10 a tank, 5 days diving, that cert only cost $160 pp. Going into town from Iberostar (or southern resort) is about $50 round trip.

I believe you are paying too much, a quick search on Google show Hollywood Divers online NAUI course is $98US. I found others for $129. I think I paid $125 back in 2018 when I coupled it with AOW. No dives are required, it is a bit of reading and a test. I can't recommend any of these as I don't have personal experience, but $250 is a bit high!

I believe you are paying too much, a quick search on Google show Hollywood Divers online NAUI course is $98US. I found others for $129. I think I paid $125 back in 2018 when I coupled it with AOW. No dives are required, it is a bit of reading and a test. I can't recommend any of these as I don't have personal experience, but $250 is a bit high!
That's not surprising; everything in a resort area is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom