what type.. im new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livefish

Reaction score
so i have been told that to purchase my scuba fins, mask , and snorkel i should buy the cheapest to make sure i am comfortable with them. what brand does anyone recomend?

your friend,
livefish

go to your shop, try some stuff on. see what fits you that is cheap. if there is another local shop, you can see if their stuff is cheaper. then when you're sure you like this diving stuff and know what you want out of your equipment (are you doing wrecks? deep? shallow reef photography? plan on going to cave?) you can get the 'real thing'. brands don't matter for your starter stuff if you plan on upgrading as soon as you know what you are leaning towards.

BabyDuck:
go to your shop, try some stuff on. see what fits you that is cheap. if there is another local shop, you can see if their stuff is cheaper. then when you're sure you like this diving stuff and know what you want out of your equipment (are you doing wrecks? deep? shallow reef photography? plan on going to cave?) you can get the 'real thing'. brands don't matter for your starter stuff if you plan on upgrading as soon as you know what you are leaning towards.

I have to agree with BabyDuck on this one. Honestly, this is about comfort and fit...or....fit and comfort. You'll find people who prefer certain brands, but that doesn't make them a good fit for someone else. Try before you buy and have fun.

P.S. ....BabyDuck, are you following me on the board or am I following you?...lol :walksmil:

I hate when shops require you buy a mask and fins before you learn to dive. The first fins you buy will most likely not be the ones you dive with a year from now. As far as the mask, buy one that fits period. It doesn't matter if it's $30.00 or $300.00. If it fits then buy it. Nothing is worse than a crappy fitting mask.

There are many types and brands of fins. You won't really know what is best for you until you have spent some time trying different styles and brands. I like very stiff fins but the first pair I bought were pretty soft. Now that I have been diving for a while I can kick the stiffer fins and prefer them.

Scott

IF you have pretty strong legs, I'd recommend the Mares Avanti, AvantiTre, or AvantiQuattro fins. You get great thrust, good control through different kick styles, and lots of acceleration power. On the down sides, some folks (especially the sedentary) find that they tend to cramp up when wearing them, and the blades are a little bit longer than average, which can make them just a little tricky to fit into some gear bags. As others have said, try before you buy if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom