Stick-on readers for masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Placing the lens on the outside of the mask reduces its effectiveness due to the reduced index of refraction differential of a water to glass interface vs an air to glass interface.

Hi folks, brand new here, and finally making the time to get my basic cert in GCM next month. With that said, I have researched the intel on outfits that will install permanent reader lenses in masks. I am currently using a 1.5 on dry land for my readers. I'm 20/20 for distance.

With that said, has anyone had any success with the stick-on type readers inside their masks? If so, what type and brand?

With the additional magnification inherent in the water, are folks bringing their corrections down or up when using a reader in the water? My thoughts are we're viewing our SPG and dive comps relatively close.

Thanks so much,

Ultra.

It's been so long I couldn't tell you what brand, or diopter, but I think it was the same as my readers.

As for application for stick ons, insure everything is clean and wet, place the lens where you want it and press it down on the glass forcing out as much water as practical. Because I dove on weekends, I let it dry, in a dry climate, for a week, and never had a problem with one lifting. I have used the same lenses on three masks, so far, without issue. Removing them takes flooding the lens and mask and gently lifting up the lens over time.

The lens holds onto the mask glass like a suction cup, and if the mating surfaces of the glass and lens don't dry completely ir won't hold when it gets wet.

I just tried locktite glass glue with stick on readers tonight. My advice is don't try locktite. It made the glass so blurry I peeled the lenses off and spent 20 minutes cleaning the blurry crap out of my mask with toothpaste.
You must have done something wrong. Did you use more than 1 or at most 2 tiny drops?

You must have done something wrong. Did you use more than 1 or at most 2 tiny drops?
No, in fact I used so little that it didn't cover the entire lens on one side.

I put a couple of tiny dots of silicone caulk with a toothpick at the edge of the readers as insurance.

No, in fact I used so little that it didn't cover the entire lens on one side.
Maybe you overshot the other way. most people mess up by putting on too much.

You want just enough to flow across the entire reader lens when you squeeze it against the mask. Hold it squeezed without moving for about a minute or two, and then let it dry overnight.

I suspect the suggestion that one might not need readers when diving because one would find the magnification by water enough. It seems to me that one dip into the water will tell you whether the water helps you see your gauges better. I'm guessing it won't. Going from fuzzy gauges to gauges you can see, is very nice. I used prescriptiondivemasks.com, but use whatever works for you. Once you're into middle age, you're likely to benefit from something.

Placing the lens on the outside of the mask reduces its effectiveness due to the reduced index of refraction differential of a water to glass interface vs an air to glass interface.

I was going to suggest why not stick a magnifier lens to the Dive Computer itself but it looks like this won’t work either?

I use Trident glass diopters. Do not use the included adhesive but use clear silicone or UV cured optics adhesives instead.
I use glass glue-in readers also. I use a +1.5 strength. The glue these come with is designed to come loose with a long soak in warm water. Instead of using that glue, I got some optical quality glass glue on Amazon to permanently attach the lenses.

Lenses: Aqua Optics Dive Mask Magnifiers (1 Pair)

Glue: Amazon.com

I use stick on readers. They use a stick on “gasket” around the periphery of the lens. Seven years they have not budged. The brand is Attach-A-Lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom