Looking for New Fin Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am on the market looking for a new set of fins. My shop is a big fan of the Mares X-Stream fins. I have always been a big fan of the Atomics brand. Does anyone have any experience with the Atomic Blade Fin and the Mares X-Stream? Trying to choose between the two. Would consider other options as well.

Thanks in advanced.

Why do you want new fins? What are your current ones doing or not doing that they need replacing?
I've owned as many as 10 sets of fins at one time from different manufacturers and am now down to 4. Two sets of HOG tech fins in size L and XXL (for use with a drysuit), my original Aqualung blades from 2004, and a set of MAKO free diving fins. All of the other ones I've sold or given away.
Given the two you note, I pick neither for a couple of reasons:
1 No spring straps on the Atomic
2 The MARES just looks gimmicky and they use a lot of words to say that the fin will do what all fins will do if you know how to kick properly.
3 Over priced
I have had fins for open ocean diving (Hollis F-1s) that worked well but were big and heavy. They helped to go fast but I decided a long time ago that speed is not a big deal.
The HOG tech fins work well in confined spaces and I can move as fast with those as the Hollis.
I still have my original blades because they are light compared to larger fins but pretty much neutral in the water and I have hung on to them because they were my first pair and are damn near indestructible.
The MAKO I have because I took up free diving to a very small degree and I like how a small flick can get me going while I'm snorkeling and don't want the heavier fins. They are super light and don't require boots. Just neoprene socks.
If you have decided to take up an area of diving that may call for a specific type of fin, what's wrong about the ones you have for that?

Why do you want new fins? What are your current ones doing or not doing that they need replacing?
I've owned as many as 10 sets of fins at one time from different manufacturers and am now down to 4. Two sets of HOG tech fins in size L and XXL (for use with a drysuit), my original Aqualung blades from 2004, and a set of MAKO free diving fins. All of the other ones I've sold or given away.
Given the two you note, I pick neither for a couple of reasons:
1 No spring straps on the Atomic
2 The MARES just looks gimmicky and they use a lot of words to say that the fin will do what all fins will do if you know how to kick properly.
3 Over priced
I have had fins for open ocean diving (Hollis F-1s) that worked well but were big and heavy. They helped to go fast but I decided a long time ago that speed is not a big deal.
The HOG tech fins work well in confined spaces and I can move as fast with those as the Hollis.
I still have my original blades because they are light compared to larger fins but pretty much neutral in the water and I have hung on to them because they were my first pair and are damn near indestructible.
The MAKO I have because I took up free diving to a very small degree and I like how a small flick can get me going while I'm snorkeling and don't want the heavier fins. They are super light and don't require boots. Just neoprene socks.
If you have decided to take up an area of diving that may call for a specific type of fin, what's wrong about the ones you have for that?
My original Fins got plenty of life (Cressi from 1996). On my last dive, the strap broke and I lost a fin. I am looking for something to replace. I have access to a friend's old Split Fins presently, but I would prefer to get a new set of my own. I am SSI certified and work with my local SSI shop, who of course stocks Mares products. The price of the Mares is kind of a put-off for me. I can get the Atomics with the spring stap replacements for about the same price. I like to support my local dive shop and I know these are brands he has access to but I am sure he has access to others.

I would open my selection choices with other recommendations.

Thanks

Other than the foot pocket not being quite right for me, I like the Mares Avanti Quattro Pro. I am in the process of retiring them for a pair of Deep 6 Eddy fins, though. That foot pocket is excellent for me, and they fit in my luggage much easier than the Mares. I’ve only dove a handful of times in the Eddies, but so far I like them. I don’t even notice they are on, unlike my Mares. And, no blisters on my toes! You may not find the Deep 6 at your shop, though. I was able to try someone’s in a pool for a couple of hours during a class before ordering. So those are my suggestions - the Mares Avanti Quattro Pro if you will buy at your local shop and the Deep 6 Eddy if not.

I also have a pair of Atomic splits fins that my LDS sold me as the only fins I’d ever need - the best fins ever! I’m indifferent on them as they don’t travel well so I don’t use them much.

Deep Six Eddies if they fit your foot. The pocket on them was not comfortable for me. But I have an arch that's hard to fit in some shoes. Comes with springs standard
HOG tech fins. Short, good for finesse kicking, and reasonable price wise. Spring straps standard
OMS Slipstreams. Neutral fin. Springs standard.
I would stay away from fins advertised with multiple compounds, gimmicky hinges and flex points, and that are not as conducive to non sitting kicks.
It's nice that you want to support your shop but the SSI business model is based on the best interest of the shop's bottom line. Not necessarily the diver's wallet or what's best for their interest equipment wise. Not surprising they'd try to push you into something expensive with no additional benefit.

I still have my Mares Avanti Quattros and would still recommend them for divers who have to deal with a lot of current. Just going to say it, for warm/temperate water diving, the Scubapro Go-Sport is the best fin ever. Just like a Jet Fin but better and half the weight. The one little caveat, if I really lay into them to accelerate quickly, I find the root section just a little soft. And of course Scubapro has now a Gorilla version not yet available in the US for some reason. Against any other fin I have ever used, Mares, Eddy fins, Jets, whatever, they are equal or better even, and they pack well for travel. I am kinda in a downsizing mode but I will keep my Quattros, my wonderful Eddy Fins and one pair of XL Jets and get a blue set of Go-Sports because the ones I now have are boring black, ha! The rest gotta go.

I have very bad knees and back. I have the Mares X-Stream and the ScubaPro Go-sport fin. The Mares work fine for me. The ScubaPro Go-sport work better for me. They are lightweight, small, easy to travel with and work well. I will be 62 and just a recreational diver at this point. I have been diving since the mid 70's and have tried 20-30 different fins. I am going diving tomorrow and took the Mares out of my dive bag and put the SP go-sports in place of them. The Mares X-Stream worked better for me than Force fins, Atomics, Mares Quattro +, Seawing super novas and so on...The ScubaPro are just easier for me. If you are a strong swimmer with good knees I think the Deep 6 Eddies might be a good choice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom