Findecision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, sittin' here waiting for my drysuit to ship, knowing I'll almost certainly need new fins.

I'm a US men's 13, but managed to fit size 12 Aqualung 5mm booties and a size L Atomic X1 Blade fin.

(For reference, I have a pair of size 13 chucks and they are too wide for that foot pocket)

The drysuit is a Bare Trilam Tech with attached "Tech Boots" (the type that look like a neoprene bootie but with toe and heel reinforcement) in what the sizing configurator labeled as "13-14.5"

When I go to pick the suit up, I have 2 options at the shop:

Hollis F-1s (and the LT too probably)

Aqualung Rocket 2's (it's a small old shop and they have some dwindling inventory but I'm assured there's a set in my size)

The shop guy was a Navy diver and may have PTSD over the Rocket 2's (hates selling them), but also pointed out that the F1's drawback is being a Long-A**-Fin. To boot, I'd have to add a kit for spring straps on the rockets.

I'm of 3 minds (hence the title)

- Just get the F1's, use big luggage, it'll be at least a year or two before I see any issues with maneuvering them in tight spaces.

- Rocket 2's are practically vintage at this point (kinda cool), and with some springs would fit the bill unless something makes them markedly worse than the other options.

- Have the shop order OMS Slipstreams in the most-likely-to-fit size and roll the dice, but if it works these would seem to be the right fin at the lowest price of the 3, I'm just iffy about a blind order.

Time is more of a factor than price. I need to step into these fins when I get the suit and get to training and some winter diving opportunities.

I think I'm mostly looking to hear criticisms to rule out one or two of the options.

I have size 14 feet and dive with rock boots. I really like XXL Turtle Fins, as they are a good fit and a bit negative, which helps keep my feet from being floaty in a drysuit.

Rocket 2s are basically RK3s based on holding both and not bad fins.
Have you dove dry before? Do you tend to have floaty feet?

Rocket 2s are basically RK3s based on holding both and not bad fins.
Have you dove dry before? Do you tend to have floaty feet?
Haven't dove dry before.

My experience diving wet is that I have fairly sinky feet (with and without wetsuit)

Borrow some fins if possible. I have sinky feet wet but floaty dry using a suit with attached boots.

The OMS are a fairly neutral Jet copy and most people seem to like them unless you need the weight of Jets.

I loved my Hollis F1s. I dumped them for deep 6 eddys. I dove my F1s again the other day and I really enjoyed the dive, but I still find a neutral fin more comfortable in my drysuit. I'm super leg heavy...

My experience is that most drysuit divers tend to err on the side of underinflation of their suit, early on. If you're doing that, a heavy fin will not feel comfortable. You could learn to be comfortable in a heavy fin right from go, or you could work with a more neutral fin and be more comfortable to start out.

Either way, you probably are going to feel like you're learning to dive all over again when you make the move to drysuit diving.

My experience is that most drysuit divers tend to err on the side of underinflation of their suit, early on. If you're doing that, a heavy fin will not feel comfortable. You could learn to be comfortable in a heavy fin right from go, or you could work with a more neutral fin and be more comfortable to start out.
I think it depends on the water temperature and tanks. In cold water with steel doubles and heavy undergarments, my experience is that divers tend to be front heavy. Heavy undergarments make the legs more floaty, and steel tanks + manifold and regs make you heavy over the shoulders, especially when tanks are approaching empty, which makes heavy fins like the jets very common around here.

I think it depends on the water temperature and tanks. In cold water with steel doubles and heavy undergarments, my experience is that divers tend to be front heavy. Heavy undergarments make the legs more floaty, and steel tanks + manifold and regs make you heavy over the shoulders, especially when tanks are approaching empty, which makes heavy fins like the jets very common around here.
Good point. I wasn't thinking of steel tanks when I wrote this. NM and Mexico are where I dive most and that's almost exclusively aluminum country.

I use F1 fins with my drysuit. I find them better than the classic Scubapro Jetfin.

My diving in F1s involves a lot of wreck penetration in tight spaces. I was never bothered by their length. Also, they are strong enough to kick in powerful current (the kind of current that makes the anchor line vibrate like a guitar string :) ).

Recently I have changed my wetsuit boots and the new ones don't fit my old Jetfins anymore, so now I'm using the F1s for both wetsuit and drysuit. The foot socket is a major improvement over classic Jetfin and I'd say they push a lot stronger.

Regarding the Aqualong Rocket 2 - never used them, but they do look similar to Apeks RK3, as somebody said above. I have recently got rental RK3s in Tulamben, so I had the opportunity to use them. They aren't bad fins but also they aren't amazing. I found them to be average - they are rigid but a little bit too short, so they felt less powerful than Scubapro Jetfins in my opinion.

So I'd say go for the F1s.

Back
Top Bottom