Looking for New Fin Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my Mares Avanti Quattros and would still recommend them for divers who have to deal with a lot of current. Just going to say it, for warm/temperate water diving, the Scubapro Go-Sport is the best fin ever. Just like a Jet Fin but better and half the weight. The one little caveat, if I really lay into them to accelerate quickly, I find the root section just a little soft. And of course Scubapro has now a Gorilla version not yet available in the US for some reason. Against any other fin I have ever used, Mares, Eddy fins, Jets, whatever, they are equal or better even, and they pack well for travel. I am kinda in a downsizing mode but I will keep my Quattros, my wonderful Eddy Fins and one pair of XL Jets and get a blue set of Go-Sports because the ones I now have are boring black, ha! The rest gotta go.
Haha I have a white pair of Go-Sports that I was using and I just changed to the blue pair of Go-Sports!

Deep6 Eddy would be my recommendation - though the sizing is tricky. My size 12 foot requires a Large (not the XL that I first ordered). They are light enough for travel, stiff enough to fight currents, comfortable with a thin bootie, and they have strong spring straps. Well made in Taiwan, and no silly gimmicks. JMHO.

Quattros (from the 90's modified with spring) and, on the last years, Dive Rite, my favorites
Jetfin style also are nice, used splits for sometime, but retired now
Tryed and owned other types, but the first three rules, at least for me

Does anyone have any experience with the Atomic Blade Fin and the Mares X-Stream?

Thanks in advanced.

I have the atomic X1 blade fins and I think they're decent fins, especially for a basic entry level fin. They are a bit long for non-freediving fins and from what I can tell, stiffer than similar fins at similar price points. Word on the street is they have big toe pockets, so thicker boots fit well but there are complaints from folks in thinner boots. I have big enough feet (US13, wide) that the joke is I almost don't need fins, and I don't have issues with this fwiw. They work with any kick (well, I'm pretty sure I just suck at back kicking so I can't exactly say if they do or don't work with that) My dive group is saturated with split fin wearers and I (not sure if me, the fin, or their lack of split) swim circles around everyone while wearing them.

They were the only red non-split fins available in the shop and they talked me out of Aqualung Rocket 2's as a first set of fins, so they're what I wound up with. Plan is when I finally feel ready to buy my 2nd of any gear item, they're the first to get replaced, probably with the HOG tech fin or its identically molded cousin, the Poseidon Trident (if I can find an authoritative answer on what is different aside from price)

I added spring straps and it improved general QOL, but be aware that only the Atomic brand spring straps fit them because of a proprietary attachment point, so you'll be out another $80 US to convert them. (There are cheaper 3rd party aftermarket spring straps for most other fin brands but I had no luck finding such for the peg used on all Atomic fins)

I just looked them up, because I love my original Go Sports for warm water diving but would prefer a slightly stiffer version. But damn, $215! For that I'll just fin along a little slower...
Yea kinda nutty but all fins are suffering nutty prices, I’m sure going through some of the good on line dealers you can get 15-20% off for a few bucks more look at some supernova.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom