Is this mask toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Failed captcha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll start with an opinionated rant you can easily skip if you want.

I was never crazy about the idea of putting a lighter to a mask but I have seen it burn off the foggy stuff and I am aware people do it all the time without incident. I just find that toothpaste works fine and I'm not particularly fascinated with fire to the point where I feel an excessive need to employ it for any task that can also be completed by other means. I had this debate recently which led to the following:

Someone at a dive shop did my a "favor" and applied open flame to my mask that I have had for several years and since then, the skirt has been seperating from the glass in a few places. There's a surprising lack of info about this sort of thing so I am guessing it's either not much of an issue or actually kind of rare. Should I do nothing and just not worry about it? Should I use adhesive? Any particular kind? Should I just buy a new one?

I just love this mask, Scubapro Frameless Gorilla. I like the clear mask, it actually allows me to see reflections of objects above and behind me. Anywaypushing the skirt up with my thumb carefully so as not to stretch the opening but to show what I mean.
20231109_115436.jpg

You might be able to seal that with some clear silicone rtv? The lighter "trick" is a crap shoot. I've always had great success with white toothpaste and rubbing it until I hear it squeak. Hopefully your "friend" was told to leave your stuff alone after this misfortune. Masks are a pita to find the right one.

You might be able to seal that with some clear silicone rtv? The lighter "trick" is a crap shoot. I've always had great success with white toothpaste and rubbing it until I hear it squeak. Hopefully your "friend" was told to leave your stuff alone after this misfortune. Masks are a pita to find the right one.
Thanks for that, I knew there had to be some sort of adhesive but now I know what to try. I'll order some and use a Hollis M4 I have laying around. It's maybe a better mask but I enjoy the Scubapro. This will be an educational opportunity for a young and enthusiastic local guide. Nothing to write home about.

I mix up a strong washing powder mix in hand handleable hot water, and give the entire mask-strap etc a brush

and then lazy helpers come along with the lighter idea and those that follow those types of people follow those

And who's got these lighters anymore these days anyway

and you always burn your thumbs

I mix up a strong washing powder mix in hand handleable hot water, and give the entire mask-strap etc a brush

and then lazy helpers come along with the lighter idea and those that follow those types of people follow those

And who's got these lighters anymore these days anyway

and you always burn your thumbs
I have a lighter to fuse the ends of bungie cord if I need to fix something. Who would think that soft silicone and a lighter mix?!

I don't know of anything that will bond to that silicone. I wonder how it was bonded to the glass to start with?

Since the glass is rigid, I might look at using superglue. I know it will stick to the glass. It has the best chance of bonding to the silicone that I can think of. If I was going trick, superglue on one side and aquaseal on the other.

I would also be shopping for a new mask. Really, I never stop shopping for a new mask. Recently went from a perfectly good mask to finding a slightly better mask. That shifted my good mask to backup status. The old backup mask (that I wasn't that happy with but worked) was gifted to a dive guide on the last trip.

Scubapro is doing some really nice masks right now. White/Wide angle. Great stuff. You can also install lenses into them easily for vision correction. I would check them out.

Here's the one I bought recently. In white. It's a beauty, maybe a little expensive at $159, but it's really solid.

SCUBAPRO's FRAMELESS is diving's original frameless mask, and it's still the best. Its distinctive rectangular single lens shape is classic, providing an excellent field of view on the periphery as well as straight ahead. The soft silicone skirt is comfortable yet durable, and the double-edge seal feels good against the skin. The buckle system is easy to use and allows for quick adjustments. Buckles attach to flexible tabs on the skirt; this optimizes strap angle when dialing in fit. The wide headband spreads the load on the back of the head, greatly enhancing comfort. After decades on the diving scene, the original FRAMELESS continues to be the mask of choice among professional divers throughout the world.

I really doubt the lighter use had anything to do with the mask lens debonding. I have seen this from time to time on masks that no lighter was used on including one NIB. Just because one thing was done does not mean the another thing and the other one thing are related, just coincidental. I have burned many masks including three Atomic Frameless and my Scubapro Frameless. And BTW, Scubapro did have an issue with Frameless masks debonding but I thought that past history. And I will continue to flame my masks as it is the only way I have had success with frameless types to prevent fogging.

I have a lighter to fuse the ends of bungie cord if I need to fix something. Who would think that soft silicone and a lighter mix?!
I lightly burn my mask lenses a bit from time to time and then hit with a bit of toothpaste - it works well and is not a problem if you aren’t stupid about it. You don’t try to flame right next to the plastic/silicone frame and just need a light touch - no need to torch the thing!

Back
Top Bottom