What Regulators To Use For Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JerseyMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What brand of regulator do you think is the best for deep diving for wrecks but you are still able to breath quite comfortably at shallow depths? I am going to do doubles next season and am doing some research before I go and spend my hard earned money. My instructor tells me the Poseidon Extremes are the best
and the Poseidon Odin are second in his mind. But I want an unbiased opinion. Which brand and what model and why?

Here in Monterey, CA there quite a few Tech and Tech ish divers in doubles... the most popular regs are SP mk25's and Apeks DS4's.... I have the DS4's.

If money were not an option I would go with the MK25's... much easier to route and no kinked hoses.

Hi Michael,

And welcome to the board. You're question regarding regs may find more answers if posed in the Equipment/Regulator forum. Introductions and Greetings is usually folks first stop, to say hi, and maybe give a little about themselves.

With regard to your question: Chances are you'll see lots of recommendations for Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, and a few others. Basically, there aren't any higher performance regs that won't function. The deciding criteria for many people comes down to intended purpose(specially cold/ice diving) and servicability. Servicability, is one area that the Poseidons may suffer in. While I haven't owned any, it seems as though those who do, end up finding one tech who is both qualified and capable and sticking with them regardless of shipping concerns etc. Aparantly, finding this great Poseidon tech can pose quite a challenge. And even then, it sounds as though they can represent a greater challenge to the tech than others.

Personally, I and a buddy have standardized on Apeks regs. Any of their DrySealed first stages make great regs for just about any condition or use. But, there are plenty of great contenders out there and if I were stationary in my obode, I would probably choose based on local service and support from a shop that I get along with best.

Before you buy a bunch of new regs (normally you would need 4 total at least, plus one more for your argon bottle if you are talking about cold waters such as the Great Lakes, New England, the USA West Coast, or Northern Europe), you need first to find a reliable service technician locally. This is the person who will take care of your annual re-tunes for these regs. Where I live there are 3 guys who specialize in ScubaPro, one of whom can do almost any brand in addition including Apex.

ScubaPro and Apex are quite widespread world-wide, as are also Zeagle and Atomic in the USA. If you travel and scuba dive, then it makes sense to choose a brand that is widespread in service availability. I have heard of Poseidon (and Oceanic) here and there, but mostly as rentals for basic open water training at scuba stores.

I do not believe there is a performance issue. When you add helium to any other gas mix, it makes the regulator perform better. I believe the salient issue is servicing and parts availability, as well as proper hose routing. But if you do any deep air diving, such as the typical extended range class to 185 fsw (6.6 ATAs), as part of your training, then performance certainly would become an issue. Very few tech divers dive deeper than 100 fsw anymore without helium mixes, however.

Once you find a good, reliable local service tech, you should then ask him for his recommendation for you. Most of your servicing will be done locally. It is rare that anything would be done away from your home base.

You need to see how the hoses coming from the 1st stages can be routed. Normally there needs to be a LP port at the bottom of the 1st stage, going straight down, in order to allow you to properly configure your hoses for your twin tanks and on your deco bottles. Wait for the service tech or your tech instructor to show you how this is supposed to work, before you buy.

I also take at least one extra reg with me (combo of 1st and 2nd stages with a 40 inch hose) anytime I travel. And an extra power inflator and corrugated hose connected together as well, in case that starts to malfunction. I have had both malfunction on trips before. So that makes a minimum of 5 regs (1st & 2nd stages together) plus one more basic 1st stage for the argon bottle.

Buying regs for tech diving is like a new marriage. You hope it will last a lifetime, and it is expensive to give up and then start over. The total cost equals or exceeds most diamond rings! And I am certain that most tech divers keep their regs longer than the average marriage anywhere in the world. So you don't want to be rushing into a purchase like that.

You might find that the Apeks DS4 does a splendid job on single tanks as well as on doubles. You can even get a special version Apeks TEK3 which is ONLY suitable on doubles, since they route hoses on one side only. There's a left version and a right version. Someone tells me it's just a flashy version of the DS4, which makes me happy, since the DS4 is a splendid 1st stage anyways.

Here are some cellphone pics I just took in the other room of the newly arrived TEK3. They are mounted on a sleek set of steel double 50's 232 bar with a slim 40 lbs wing.

Attachments

• DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 740
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 92
On aluminum doubles (shorter tank necks) I prefer balanced piston regs with a turret, specifically Scubapro MK25s. The hose routing has the least kinks.

On steel doubles (longer tank necks) I prefer balanced diaphragm regs, specifically Apeks XTX200s. The hose routing is "cleaner" and more streamlined, IMHO.

On aluminum doubles (shorter tank necks) I prefer balanced piston regs with a turret, specifically Scubapro MK25s. The hose routing has the least kinks.

On steel doubles (longer tank necks) I prefer balanced diaphragm regs, specifically Apeks XTX200s. The hose routing is "cleaner" and more streamlined, IMHO.

The only difference I know of between these 2 particular brands of regs is for ice diving. The diaphram regs are slightly less susceptible to freezing up than the piston regs. For any diving above 32F (0C) they are very close in performance. I have never heard of either one of them failing.

Apeks is always a safe bet really. They are good Deep, good in the cold, good in the tropics. Pretty good all around regs.
The XTX50/Ds4 is typically all anyone needs, you could just get a few sets of those.
I'm really interested to hear what people think about the Tek 3's. If I was in the market for some regs specifically for doubles I would definitely be looking hard at them. I wonder where they sit as far as specks more like xtx50 or 200??

smilies-35311.png
bananawave.gif

I dunno, but we do have a Reg forum...

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

don
bananahula.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom