What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried the Atomic SS1? Its better than many middle of the road second stages! Having several air2's and having tried an ss1..... I wish I had an ss1 but its $250-350. I can get a Hog for less but then I have an extra hose. I like less hoses. Worth it to me.

I am not into run flat tires or mini spares I prefer real spare tires. Especially, here in Ootah where I can be 30-40 miles in on dirt roads with another 30-40 before one finds a gas station.

Same with diving, no Air2/SS1 or simple octos for me, I dive with a secondary reg that is the same as my primary.

Thank you, I understand what you were saying now. I think part of the problem is that Chris is getting frustrated with a few (well ,aybe a whole lot more than a few) people that want everything for nothing. The HOG policies are a tech cert and take the training class and you get service and support from the manufacturer, This is already more than any other reg manufacturer has done. Now people are whining about the tech cert (HOG regs are marketed towards tech divers), and not having (free) manuals for download off the website. Edge/HOG's policies are not to freely sell parts to the public, they just don't say you can't. Chris has done what many divers have asked for but people just want more, how many people do you think would take the training class if you could just download the manuals(I know I would not have taken the time and money for the class).

Thank you, I understand what you were saying now. I think part of the problem is that Chris is getting frustrated with a few (well ,aybe a whole lot more than a few) people that want everything for nothing. The HOG policies are a tech cert and take the training class and you get service and support from the manufacturer, This is already more than any other reg manufacturer has done. Now people are whining about the tech cert (HOG regs are marketed towards tech divers), and not having (free) manuals for download off the website. Edge/HOG's policies are not to freely sell parts to the public, they just don't say you can't. Chris has done what many divers have asked for but people just want more, how many people do you think would take the training class if you could just download the manuals(I know I would not have taken the time and money for the class).

I continue to be confused by HOG policies and their implementation. I don't believe anyone has been denied the sale of a HOG reg because they do not have a tech cert. I also get the impression that HOG parts are beings sold to the general public, at least by some dealers. I'm pretty sure it is easier to find a Scubapro torque spec than a HOG/Edge torque spec. Withholding manuals and other tech information and support is not DIY friendly especially when you are such a small operation that other sources of parts and support are undeveloped.

I had hopes that HOG was going to lead an effort to set a new course. Instead, they are just weaving around testing a few of the limits by sticking one toe out to see what happens. The class, with bogus entry requirements, seems to be the only venture into somewhat new territory and that is new only because it is being sponsored by a manufacturer. And, as you acknowledged, most of the DIYers are quite successful without such a formal class.

I continue to be confused by HOG policies and their implementation. I don't believe anyone has been denied the sale of a HOG reg because they do not have a tech cert. I also get the impression that HOG parts are beings sold to the general public, at least by some dealers. I'm pretty sure it is easier to find a Scubapro torque spec than a HOG/Edge torque spec. Withholding manuals and other tech information and support is not DIY friendly especially when you are such a small operation that other sources of parts and support are undeveloped.

I had hopes that HOG was going to lead an effort to set a new course. Instead, they are just weaving around testing a few of the limits by sticking one toe out to see what happens. The class, with bogus entry requirements, seems to be the only venture into somewhat new territory and that is new only because it is being sponsored by a manufacturer. And, as you acknowledged, most of the DIYers are quite successful without such a formal class.

No you don't need a tech cert to buy HOG regs, they are just marketed towards the tech crowd just like Holis and Apeks. Yes it is very easy to purchase HOG parts because the manufacturer has not put a restriction on the sale of parts, he hasn't said not to sell them so it must be ok. I think Edge/HOG has done more than they are given credit for. Chris has brought to market a quality product for a reasonable price, has a path way for self service, and has not restricted part sales to the consumer. No other manufacturer has done this much but he still gets crap for not going far enough. DiveRite will sell parts and you can download the manuals, Zeagle will sell parts but HOG is the only one that will sell parts, provide training and a manual with the training. I just don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the tech requirement, is it so bad to take more training classes? All that is required is one tech cert, intro to tech, adv nitrox, deco procedures, heck TDI says regular nitrox is tech so there nitrox class will do. As the saying goes "Rome was not built in a day". I just took the HOG reg class and did gain some very useful info out of it, could I get buy with out it? Yes I could but the extra knowledge will never hurt. We were told the other manufacturers were fighting the class as they thought it should not be ran at Beneath The Sea. What does that say about them?

I don't know what the situation is with Zeagle in the US. In Oz, the distributor is happy to sell reg service kits, & run reg servicing courses. He's done this for several years now, & there are no confusing policies. You just need a Zeagle reg.

I am not into run flat tires or mini spares I prefer real spare tires. Especially, here in Ootah where I can be 30-40 miles in on dirt roads with another 30-40 before one finds a gas station.

Same with diving, no Air2/SS1 or simple octos for me, I dive with a secondary reg that is the same as my primary.

What if your vehicle doesn't have the space to carry/store a full sized spare tire ?

What if your vehicle doesn't have the space to carry/store a full sized spare tire ?

then label yourself as a "vintage driver"

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

then you are going to die!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Then how are you going to carry/store scuba gear if there's not enough room for a decent spare?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom