What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a big dif between a hacks and a tech.
Mechanical abilitys without training, proper tools and parts result in hacks screwing up your regulators.
Maybe you should pick a professional dive shop to deal with.
You seem to find little value in the service a properly trained, equipped and experienced service tech provides.
I will continue to recommend that rec divers settle for no less when it is time to service their gear.

There is a big dif between a hacks and a tech.
Mechanical abilitys without training, proper tools and parts result in hacks screwing up your regulators.

With a day of training and little mechanical ability, damn near anybody could be your authorized, certified LDS tech. No "proper tools" required. I had one Scubapro LDS mar my reg yoke nut by using an adjustable wrench rather than a yoke nut socket. Another didn't even own torque wrenches.

Maybe you should pick a professional dive shop to deal with.
You seem to find little value in the service a properly trained, equipped and experienced service tech provides.
I will continue to recommend that rec divers settle for no less when it is time to service their gear.

A professional shop - you mean the one with the real friendly owner, the scuba flag, some training agency sticker and other stickers acknowledging they are authorized dealers for XYZ? I have tried a number of Scubapro shops - most were disappointing. Even talked to Scubapro about one that screwed up a CPSC recall service. Bottom line is they were not interested. Scubapro has no program to regulate the quality of service from their independently owned authorized dealers. Is Zeagle really any different?

Sure, most people should not do their own automobile brake job or service their own regulators. Of the two, the self serviced regulator is easier and less dangerous for the user and others. The reason shops do not want to see regulator parts become available to the general public is not a concern for the welfare of divers. It is to protect their dealers from competition in the service market.

Here is my two cents on regulators. I bought an Atomic B2 for about $600 as it has most of the features in the far more expensive T2x and M2 regulator.
Before that, I used rental gear which was ok but not as easy to breathe as my Atomic. You don't need to spend 2k on one just get a midrange one at a sale at a discount.

Here is my two cents on regulators. I bought an Atomic B2 for about $600 as it has most of the features in the far more expensive T2x and M2 regulator.
Before that, I used rental gear which was ok but not as easy to breathe as my Atomic. You don't need to spend 2k on one just get a midrange one at a sale at a discount.

You can do that and end up with a good deal and a maybe a good reg. You could also get a HOG D1 and spend HALF as much to start and have a GREAT regulator to boot. The only caveat is before you get a HOG you need to be either A) competent and comfortable servicing your own reg or B) find someone close by that is trained to service HOG regs.

I own a SB A700/MK25 and G600/MK25. They are get regs. They have good track records too. The retail on the both of them together new is almost $1600! you can buy a new HOG D1 reg(1st and 2nd) every year for 6 YEARS for that money.... Thats a pretty good value. Is there anyone here that will say my MK25/A700 is better than a HOG D1 in the water? Nothing wrong with my scubapros. They just cost to mush IMHP. I wish I had known about HOG and their record before I got the Scubapro.... I could have had a dive trip for the difference in price.

I guess that regulators are like cars. They all have similar features. Some just so do a litte more,do more on paper, cost more, look different and some are more reliable. Some cost more to service. Some need more service. To each their own. I know I dont want no stinking mini-van! You can have your testicular coffin!

Later Mon,
Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom