What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balanced 2nd stages are not typically sold on unbalanced 1st stages as these are always sold as price point regulators.

Yeah, but we put them together that way after the fact......

At one time I had 20 Brut regs in rental.
In my experience while testing an unbalanced regulator at 100' depth with less than 500psi, noticably harder would be an understatement. If it take extra time to fill a breath I personally find it a problem.
It does however make a good early warning device.

For the high performance regs its a 10-15 extra minutes for each dive. And only because its easer to breath. Its that simple. And thats all folks!

I can see insurance carriers setting policy on selling DIY service kits.
If a jury found a seller even 1% at fault in an accident it could be a huge judgement.
Liability issues are easy to ignore when you have nothing to loose.

This has been tried way too many times. Reverts back to "personal accountability".

Best way to avoid this, get them serviced professionally and buy quality. I don't service my S5 at home in my garage and there's a reason.

Some 1st stages decrease up to IP 20 psi (145 to 125) from 3000 PSIG to 500 PSIG. While other 1st stages increase IP 5 PSIG from supply 3000 PSIG to 500 PSIG. Either way both 1st stages are within specs and you still won't notice a difference on the inhalation effort.
To answer Capt. Gene's question. I don't make $$ with anything scuba related. But dive gear is my hobby. There is a lot more to know then reading diagrams on the net. And servicing should be left for cert.'d tech's that are trained.

This has been tried way too many times. Reverts back to "personal accountability".

Best way to avoid this, get them serviced professionally and buy quality. I don't service my S5 at home in my garage and there's a reason.

Is it because Audi will not allow retailers to sell you the parts?

I can get whatever parts I may need. The recreational retail market is the pits with many other great small business owners. The LDS has no option but to sell anything they have in inventory via internet. But won't admit / sell to local's to save face. I buy from MyScubaShop or NortheastScubaSupply that will sell service kits and other parts. Remember that you still are already paying for parts. Labor is only $15-$20 per stage for a cert. tech. to dissassemble, clean, assemble, adjust and re adjust with $5,000 worth of brand specialty tools and standard bench test equipment. If you want your gear to work the best. Your better off not touching the gear then doing it yourself. Have a great dive season !

I can get whatever parts I may need. The recreational retail market is the pits with many other great small business owners. The LDS has no option but to sell anything they have in inventory via internet. But won't admit / sell to local's to save face. I buy from MyScubaShop or NortheastScubaSupply that will sell service kits and other parts. Remember that you still are already paying for parts. Labor is only $15-$20 per stage for a cert. tech. to dissassemble, clean, assemble, adjust and re adjust with $5,000 worth of brand specialty tools and standard bench test equipment. If you want your gear to work the best. Your better off not touching the gear then doing it yourself. Have a great dive season !

I have seen LDS techs who I would not trust to change my tire. And a number that had no problem screwing up my regulators. I'll take care of my own gear for now on and be very comfortable knowing it is properly assembled and operating well. Is $5K worth of tools and equipment somehow supposed compensate for limited mechanical abilities?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom