What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to the Atomics. Like above they all breath the same in the Atomic line. Annual parts replacement are the same no matter which of their regulators you choose. And as said it is like buying a car with Atomic. No matter which of their regs you buy you get the same great performance not matter your budget, it is about which options you want. Not true of other lines where you pay for performance. 2nd stage swivels, first stage swivel, able to handle high percentage 02 ( the M1), sealed first stage, and finally Material. The T2X incorporates every option with the finest material in one package. Look at the B2 from the Atomic line would be my recommendation. I have carried and sold many differnt lines over the years (Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, Oceanic, Sherwood, ...) and you just cannot go wrong with Atomic

The perfect regulator would breath at depth and under workload just as you are breathing now.
Perfect doesn't exist but some regs come much closer than others. The price tag would indicate where they fall in the pecking order, to a certain extent. In a blind taste test at depth nobody is going to pick a $200 out of the pack and say "I want THIS one"

Talking about Apeks.
Your LSD would love to sell you Apeks XTX 200 instead of XTX 50. I would be very surprised if anyone can tell the differences in performance with their eyes shut. I couldn't even with my eyes opened.
FSR, FST, DST, DS4, Tek3, UST, US4, TX, ATX and XTX etc etc, they are all the same internally(functioning parts). But the price difference can be huge.

I've found that lower end regulators have different tolerances (which translate to breathing characteristics). For instance, I have two (relatively cheap) Scubapro r380s. One breaths great, the other sucks. Its been like the since I got them, and they've both been serviced a few times, so I can't blame it on that. Otoh, all my g250s breath pretty great.

WHat you really gain is a lighter wallet and smaller bank account. Otherwise the difference between a $275 reg like a HOG D-1 and a $830.00 Mk25 A700 has been said by some of my customers to be that you don't need tools to take the faceplate off the HOG second.

I have the same opinion. I used to own Scuba Pro Mk25/S600's for doubles and single tank rigs.
I sold them and bought Dive Rite RG3100's for doubles and deco tanks, I can't tell the difference.

I guess some gear tests out there might have better numbers for that Scuba Pro than for the Dive Rite, but from my perspective as a diver, I couldn't tell a difference in breathing performance.

I had an Aqualung Titan prior to getting the Mk25/S600, because I just HAD to have the Scuba Pro regs. :)
Truth be told, they weren't any better that the Titan.

Don't get me wrong, the Scuba Pro regs were great, I really liked them. They just didn't out perform anything else I've owned.

I used a Poseidon for my single tank rig now, just because I like the reg. There is a difference with the Poseidon, but that's because the Poseidons deliver gas differently.

-Mitch

As you go up in price, you may gain a few features -- environmentally sealed has already been mentioned; diver adjustable breathing effort is another. Aqualung has the automatic cover for the reg, so that you can't end up soaking it with the dust cap off. You may gain more metal parts (less plastic). Whether any of those things justifies a tripling of price is an entirely different discussion.

What you get for the most part is better performance, More features or better materials.

if you use the MK2-R295 as a benchmark,

1st stage

This is a unbalanced, 1st stage and simple downstream 2nd stage. 1 HP and 4 LP. This is as simple as you could get right now.

from there you could jump to the MK11 1st stage and get 2HP/4LP port, and go to balanced diaphragm setup, the air delivery will be much more consistent, and if weight is a concern you could get this model in Titanium (MK11T) there is a Environmentally sealed version of this 1st stage as well the MK17.

The MK25 could be an upgrade on the MK11/17, as it offers a Turret, 2HP and 6LP, this is a balanced piston design that offers as much air as you would ever want or need. Hose routing can be easier on this 1st stage Vs. the MK2/MK11/MK17 (this is also available in Titanium MK25T)

2nd Stages

the R295 is a Very simple downstream regulator, there is no adjustment on it, put it in your mouth and breath.

From here you could upgrade to the R395 and that gives you the "Dive/Pre-Dive" switch while still a simple downstream regulator.

The C200/C300 are upgrades from here, you get a smaller 2nd stage, still a downstream but adjustable with an air barrel. this means it easier to tune the air delivery as needed.

From here you have the G250V a larger 2nd but great for ease of breathing and cold water reliability has a dial to adjust the breathing effort on the fly, great for diving in a current.

next from here is the A700/S600, these are completely balanced 2nd stages that are completely adjustable, the G250V is balanced though its adjustability is reliant on the tensile strength of the spring in the regulator, on the A700/S600 this spring can be preloaded with an adjustment screw.

Hope this helps.

I've found that lower end regulators have different tolerances (which translate to breathing characteristics). For instance, I have two (relatively cheap) Scubapro r380s. One breaths great, the other sucks. Its been like the since I got them, and they've both been serviced a few times, so I can't blame it on that. Otoh, all my g250s breath pretty great.
Do you fine tune them yourself or do you leave the fine tuning to a "legal" technician?

The cheaper the wine, the better because you can get more......same for regulators. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom