What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your likely to gain a pissed off wife by going with a top shelf reg. Most divers dont need top shelf performance they just think they do.

Not if you buy her one also! ;-)

My thought for what they are worth... Just upgraded to a ScubaPro MK25/A600. Dove all week with it two weeks ago in Cozumel. Best regs I have ever used. Easy breathing and smooth.

My thoughts are at 90 feet do I want the best I can afford or the cheapest I can find.... Kinda like my Corvette... I could put $50 tires on it and only spend $200. Instead because of the cars performance I put high quality run flats on it at a cost of $1600..... I want to make it home instead of bent around a light pole and I want to make it to the surface instead a drift at 90 feet with everyone talking about the lost diver in Mexico.

But that's just me....

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will say this for Scubapro. You will pay more yes. They need to be serviced by an authorived dealler annually yes. But just about anywhere is the US and caribbean you can get service and parts for them. If you dont service your own regs Scubapro is not a bad way to go. If how ever you do want to service your own gear Hog is really hard to beat. For that matter older Scubapros like the 109 and 156 as mentioned are great regs and easy to service.

I was given an OLD Dacor Olympic 400 and it still works. Its my backup reg. In 1969 when it was perchased new it was not cheap. Worry more about value, longevity and ongoing cost than upfornt cost.

Later Mon,
Nick

My thoughts are at 90 feet do I want the best I can afford or the cheapest I can find.... Kinda like my Corvette... I could put $50 tires on it and only spend $200. Instead because of the cars performance I put high quality run flats on it at a cost of $1600..... I want to make it home instead of bent around a light pole and I want to make it to the surface instead a drift at 90 feet with everyone talking about the lost diver in Mexico.

What is the difference besides a competent service? $1600 for tires. I have paid less for cars and they all got me safely where I wanted to go. The light pole does not much care whether it is a Yugo or a Corvette as long as you are careless enough to lose it.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I will say this for Scubapro. You will pay more yes. They need to be serviced by an authorived dealler annually yes. But just about anywhere is the US and caribbean you can get service and parts for them. If you dont service your own regs Scubapro is not a bad way to go. If how ever you do want to service your own gear Hog is really hard to beat. For that matter older Scubapros like the 109 and 156 as mentioned are great regs and easy to service.

I'm not convinced. Scubapro manuals and parts are fairly easy to find. Hog seems to be hanging on a whim.

But that's just me....

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a perfect example of the nonsense that gets shoved down our throats by the dive gear industry. Spend more, be safer, and while you're at it, come up with a car analogy that makes zero sense but drops a nice name to let us know you have an expensive car.

My thoughts are at 90 feet do I want the best I can afford or the cheapest I can find.... Kinda like my Corvette... I could put $50 tires on it and only spend $200. Instead because of the cars performance I put high quality run flats on it at a cost of $1600.....

Run flat tires are like diving with an LP inflator/octo combo (i.e. Air2) ... probably get ya home but not the best way to handle an incident :).

Talking about Apeks.
Your LSD would love to sell you Apeks XTX 200 instead of XTX 50. I would be very surprised if anyone can tell the differences in performance with their eyes shut. I couldn't even with my eyes opened.
FSR, FST, DST, DS4, Tek3, UST, US4, TX, ATX and XTX etc etc, they are all the same internally(functioning parts). But the price difference can be huge.

Absolutely, I own an FSR w/XTX50s and a DS4 w/ATX40s, the DS4/ATX40s were around $280USD the FSR/XTX50s around $600USD, cannot tell the difference when breathing off either. There are certain things, save breathing, that I like about the FSR/XTX50s over the DS4/ATX40s but probably not $320 more.

Run flat tires are like diving with an LP inflator/octo combo (i.e. Air2) ... probably get ya home but not the best way to handle an incident :).

Have you tried the Atomic SS1? Its better than many middle of the road second stages! Having several air2's and having tried an ss1..... I wish I had an ss1 but its $250-350. I can get a Hog for less but then I have an extra hose. I like less hoses. Worth it to me.

Later Mon,
Nick

Not if you buy her one also! ;-)

My thought for what they are worth... Just upgraded to a ScubaPro MK25/A600. Dove all week with it two weeks ago in Cozumel. Best regs I have ever used. Easy breathing and smooth.

But that's just me....

Sarge

If you wanted the best why didn't you buy some of the new AquaLung legends with the pink chrome for around $1500 a set? These should be twice as good as your SP regs as they cost twice as much. I hear the new pink chrome breaths so much better than the silver or gold stuff. I don't know why everyone equates quality with price, quality does not always a higher price.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

What is the difference besides a competent service? $1600 for tires. I have paid less for cars and they all got me safely where I wanted to go. The light pole does not much care whether it is a Yugo or a Corvette as long as you are careless enough to lose it.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I'm not convinced. Scubapro manuals and parts are fairly easy to find. Hog seems to be hanging on a whim.

Can you explain? Chris is selling regs so fast he can't keep them in stock. He seams to be doing pretty good to me.

Can you explain? Chris is selling regs so fast he can't keep them in stock. He seams to be doing pretty good to me.

I am not saying HOG is not doing well or that it is not one of a number of excellent regs at reasonable prices. I am just saying that the current situation on parts and documentation support is, as Chris suggested, entirely up to him and subject to change (or be withdrawn) if he sees fit. With Scubapro and Aqualung, their official policies in the USA are anti-DIY, but the "back door" to parts and documentation is large and wide spread. I dive older SP regs and have no fear of that parts support changing adversely very quickly. If I had to start over, HOG would be tempting but I think I would go the used SP route again.

There is nothing I would like to see more than for HOG to be successful enough to hurt SP and AL sales due to HOG support of their customers.

Back
Top Bottom