What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When the cabbie is scamming, say this:

"No jodes, que soy familia de Caro Quintero... Que te debo?"

I think "cubierto" in Argentina derives more closely from "cover," as in a "cover charge" for sitting at the table, than "cubiertos"--utensils. Remember, in Italy the cover charge for the table is a "coperto." A lot of Italian influence in Argentina.
It’s actually a ridiculous surcharge that includes everything including the table and the linens.

When the cabbie is scamming, say this:

"No jodes, que soy familia de Caro Quintero... Que te debo?"

You might get in trouble if the cabbie dies from laughing.

The wife bought 2 waters at 7-11 yesterday that were listed “2 for 25 pesos”. Cashier said $2 USD and the wife paid it.

We both went in there today to buy them again and the same clerk now said $1.50 USD. I looked at the wife and told her to just pay it, I need to get to the cougar.

Ok, it just hit me. Did your wife give her a dollar and two quarters or did she give her two dollars and get two quarters in return. Because US coins are generally regarded as currency kryptonite in Mexico.

I don't take taxis to find excitement and meet people but to get from point A to point B. I'll save my interactions with people for another time.
Lol…taxis in Coz are a serious business, certainly no place to find a little joy in interacting with a different culture. Nice thing about diving & dive travel…it’s a big ocean. All IMHO, YMMV 😊👍

Lol…taxis in Coz are a serious business, certainly no place to find a little joy in interacting with a different culture. Nice thing about diving & dive travel…it’s a big ocean. All IMHO, YMMV 😊👍
I make an effort to say something to taxi/rideshare drivers everywhere, and I'm anything but outgoing or chatty. I have always felt it was just sort of the thing to do, as opposed to sitting silently in back. Some are curious about me or where I'm going to or coming from and want to chat, and others not so much. I'm often just as curious about them. Occasionally, I'm not in the mood at all and just say hello and (if a taxi) how much is the fare, and that's it.

I dislike mandatory tipping such as for a large party at a restaurant or the ridiculous self-serve places that have a tip on the screen.
There is a good reason for it for large parties, altho I resent 20% addons. I once refused to pay it tho as the girl was way overworked so the service was poor. I demanded the manager, showed him that I was taking it off because he should have assigned more help, and we did book in advance. After he left, I slipped the poor girl a tip.
The wife bought 2 waters at 7-11 yesterday that were listed “2 for 25 pesos”. Cashier said $2 USD and the wife paid it.

We both went in there today to buy them again and the same clerk now said $1.50 USD. I looked at the wife and told her to just pay it, I need to get to the cougar.
Paying USD in Mexico is asking to be gouged. Why don't you carry MXNs? I use two money clips: one for small US bills in my left pocket, the other for assorted Pesos in my right pocket. But how did you pay $1.50 USD? They don't take US coins because the banks won't because they're heavy to fly on currency exchanges.

Next trip, I'm carrying an 8½x11 laminated copy of their rate card so I can read it, maybe show it, but I'll stay with dickering. He asks for too much, I offer half that much, and we work to an agreement. Whether I tip or not depends on how much more than I wanted to pay.

In the original story I posted at first, where the driver asked for 60 Pesos on a 23 Peso fare, I offered 40 and he drove me. I actually gave him 50.

It’s actually a ridiculous surcharge that includes everything including the table and the linens.
Is it a mandated policy? It seems to me that restaurants would prefer to charge a simple amount for a meal that enables them to turn a profit.

Is it a mandated policy? It seems to me that restaurants would prefer to charge a simple amount for a meal that enables them to turn a profit.
A cubierto is what we call a cover charge, for having a sit-down experience. Places where there’s an option to stand (or maybe sit on a barstool) at the bar and gobble down your breakfast roll and coffee don’t charge the cover charge for that; only for those customers who prefer to sit down at a table. It makes sense to me that restaurants would charge more for the customer getting more. I’d think customers would prefer it too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom