New Taxi App?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walk faster, it’s good for you
Uh, huh. I've got medical licenses in 5 US states and 32 years of practice, including teaching at a medical school. I am not qualified to make blanket statements on the internet about what's good for everyone. You most certainly are not.

If you can swim you can walk.
OK, this is just arrant nonsense. I've instructed paraplegic swimmers and one with no legs. My son just DM'd with a group of paraplegic divers in Cozumel. Not everyone on earth is exactly like you. Not everyone shares your abilities, nor, thankfully, your limitations,

Yes, for someone in a wheelchair they may need to pay the bribe. Does your mom often come to Cozumel? Rent a car.
While I started out agreeing with your posts regarding the taxi mafia, the more I read your posts, they have become rude and insulting, not to mention cruel. To feel so righteous in telling GGunn to rent a car for his Mom, whom relies on a wheelchair really crossed the line of poor taste and ignorance. My husband suffers from a neurological issue and his balance and leg strength are poor. I could not imagine renting a car, finding a place to park and proceed to walk to our destination. A cab ride to the front door would be the only way to go.

To feel so righteous in telling GGunn to rent a car for his Mom, whom relies on a wheelchair really crossed the line of poor taste and ignorance.
Actually, it was mstevens to which his remarks were addressed, but coincidentally, my 96 year old mom also goes to Cozumel at least once a year and has since 1977, so his remarks were unintentionally apropos. :D

To feel so righteous in telling GGunn to rent a car for his Mom, whom relies on a wheelchair really crossed the line of poor taste and ignorance.
He actually replied that to me (and I guess, by extension, everyone). My mom uses a rollator (a wheeled walker).

My husband suffers from a neurological issue and his balance and leg strength are poor. I could not imagine renting a car, finding a place to park and proceed to walk to our destination.
As you know, Cozumel is not very accessible to people with mobility impairments. Just getting down a sidewalk with a cane can be next to impossible, lat alone walkers or wheelchairs. Towards the end of my dad's life, he was very unsteady and if we dropped him off at the door of a restaurant someone had to go in with him while the rest of us parked elsewhere. He and my mom paid ¼ of the purchase price for our car so there was no way they were ever going to take a taxi anywhere!

My mom uses a rollator (a wheeled walker).
Mine, too, and when we go to Cozumel for two weeks she has 75-80 pounds of equipaje. I guess I should just put her out on the sidewalk with her walker and luggage and strike out for Diego's... NOT. Heck, with dive gear my wife and I each have, um, more than that. We'll take the shuttle.

when we go to Cozumel for two weeks she has 75-80 pounds of equipaje. I guess I should just put her out on the sidewalk with her walker and luggage and strike out for Diego's... NOT.
But it's just "across the street"! Maybe put all her stuff in a giant backpack and make her wear that, or put leashes on wheeled luggage and lash those around her waist while she trundles along the road to the boundary of the airport?

And, go ggunn's 96 y/o mom!

I've tried the app 3 times now. After I put in the addresses it says a car is 5 minutes away. I confirm that I want a ride and the app starts "finding ride near me ". It has a spinning or "working" symbol and it does that for maybe 5 minutes, then says there are no cars near me.

I've tried using this near Corpus Christi 2 times, and near Chedraui, where it said they are not permitted to pick up in the area.

While I started out agreeing with your posts regarding the taxi mafia, the more I read your posts, they have become rude and insulting, not to mention cruel. To feel so righteous in telling GGunn to rent a car for his Mom, whom relies on a wheelchair really crossed the line of poor taste and ignorance. My husband suffers from a neurological issue and his balance and leg strength are poor. I could not imagine renting a car, finding a place to park and proceed to walk to our destination. A cab ride to the front door would be the only way to go.
Not being able to walk for five minutes to the non gouging cab means that person is maybe not fit to swim or dive. Especially in coz where people might swim against a current. Why are you defending price gouging? Is the Stockholm syndrome sympathizing with ones abuser? Or are people making money off of continuing the taxi rip off of travelers?

But it's just "across the street"! Maybe put all her stuff in a giant backpack and make her wear that, or put leashes on wheeled luggage and lash those around her waist while she trundles along the road to the boundary of the airport?

And, go ggunn's 96 y/o mom!
Yes if one person insists on flying with 80 pounds I suppose that’s harder to wheel on a flat surface for five minutes. I did note paying in pesos made the shuttle van much cheaper per person. Assuming there’s been a recent flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom