New Taxi App?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Taxi fares are actually set. They're hard/impossible for occasional users to know without reference to a site like Ric's, so taxistas charge whatever they think they can get. That's not actually the "fare", though. It's just the charge or "whatever can be stolen". Whether or not we agree on the semantics of "fare", we agree on taxi drivers' dishonesty, though you're considerably more enthusiastic about using taxis than I am. You went to all the trouble to hike to Diego's and negotiate yourself a ride 44% (92 pesos) higher than the maximum shared shuttle fare of 208 pesos. (Since I don't know the zone for where you were going, I'm just using the highest possible fare. The difference could've been more). That's some taxi-lovin'!

Fares from the airport (which was the subject of the message to which you responded) are set, published right at the point of payment, and they're not open to negotiation, "bribery", nor (non-willful) misunderstanding. Who tried to dicker with you about shuttle fares from the airport terminal? You can't even pay the drivers directly! The payment window gives you a printed receipt so you can confirm you paid no more than the published fare.

You are willfully wrong, ACROSS THE STREET from the terminal is the parking lot. One must walk past that then down a short road to exit the airport grounds, then cross the street. Nobody said it was a superhighway. It's also not merely crossing the street. It's about 300 meters, roughly ⅕ of a mile, and involves crossing two roads. That's a trivial distance for some. It's a substantial hurdle for others, especially with luggage, kids, mobility devices, whatever. Not everyone reading these posts in the future will ever have been to Cozumel before, so I think it's important to be clear about what we mean. Imagine someone walking across the road from the terminal and searching in vain for Diego's while muttering "but they said it was across the street!" under their breath.

In order to get an idea, you could try reading the posts to which you're responding. There are no taxis that can pick anyone up at the airport terminal so, for purposes of fares from the terminal, taxis and their unarguable shenanigans make no difference. With the shuttle vans there are no shenanigans, just (in the case of private shuttles) extortionate but completely transparent pricing,.

You have clearly paid no attention whatsoever to what I've said about taxis. In this exchange, you are the only one of us who's expressed the slightest enthusiasm for them.

What bribe? Airport shuttle fares are clearly posted and are not subject to negotiation or bribes. For a single traveler willing to share a van, they're also cheaper than one is likely to get a taxi to agree to (as we see from the example you posted earlier). In fact, you get a receipt proving there was no bribe involved.

She's cut back to 3 or 4 times a year ever since CoVID. Why do you ask?

You should be aware that lots of divers arrive with non-diving family or friends with all sorts of degrees of mobility, heat tolerance, or willingness to get drenched in a downpour. I usually travel to the island with just a messenger bag, but am aware that's uncommon and that some people appear to arrive with enough luggage for months in the wilderness, or certainly more than they can themselves carry.

Why would I do that? I have my own perfectly good car. When I'm leaving the airport, it's parked right across the street! I then get in it and, usually, drive to Diego's, which takes about a minute.
I’m very concerned about your reading comprehension and your physical ability to dive. There’s a reason people who can’t walk for five minutes or up any stairs often have heart attacks or strokes when exercising, such as diving or snorkeling. I’m begging you to get a full physical complete with all blood tests and approval from your doc, before your next dive . If you’re at the airport trying get a ride not At THE EXACT MOMENT WHEN ALL THE PASSENGERS ARE LEAVING, you get robbed. If paying in pesos at exactly the right time you may not be robbed. At the time when 100 gringos were not present, The shuttle van operator service quoted me prices for van -which is a cab- and cab, both were robbery. I did not get robbed by using my functioning legs to propel me five minutes outside the mini aeropuerto a few hundred feet, across the street, to where the cabs don’t rob passengers. Since I am not paralyzed I can walk on flat ground. Walk a little, it’s good for you. I don’t use an underwater scooter either. why are you enabling and defending the taxi gouging ? Because they pay you a commission? Or since you’re a local and have a car and never walk , your fellow divers being robbed and victimized is not your concern? Let’s just dismiss the opinion of locals and friends of locals like you, who have a financial interest in gouging visitors. Also, rolling bags have wheels that roll and backpacks can be worn. You’re welcome. I’ve taken cabs worldwide and many price gouge. In coz paying in dollars even the collective vans gouge. To newbie non paralyzed visitors: leave the tiny airport grounds by foot which is very obvious. Fellow the fifty people per flight who I saw doing the same w rolling bags. Once out of the airport grounds you’re less of a target. Use Google translate if you don’t habla Espanol. Any questions I can answer?

Back
Top Bottom