What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please take a look at your last 3 sentences. First, you state that there should be a "respectful median," but then offer no such thing in the next two sentences.
I was not referring to overcharging because some look like they can afford it. I have already stated that I fully disagree with that.

I lived in a Colorado resort town for about 10 years. Many stores offered "locals discounts."
Did they charge the locals more if they rode in a car instead of on a bicycle? What about if they just looked wealthy?

While it is obvious that some countries charge certain people more and many accept it, IMO it doesnt make it right.

While it is obvious that some countries charge certain people more and many accept it, IMO it doesnt make it right.
Doesn't make it wrong, either. It seems to me that you are equating "right" in an absolute sense with the subjective way you think things should be.

Doesn't make it wrong, either.
In your opinion, I guess not, nor per Dan below.

Don had a dishonest cabbie and wanted to overcharge from a set rate. Sure, as we all talk, it is apparent that it is a common practice to do. While the value might mean nothing to some, it is still a dishonest practice. Something that the definition of integrity doesn't need to be expressed differently for:wink: While I surely do not care about a small amount, he would still remain dishonest.

Plenty of people are taking a stance based on "values" and "integrity." I would not doubt that plenty of taxi drivers are saying the same thing about you. There are many countries around the world where the more money you have the more you pay. Even for locals. I have met plenty of people in foreign countries who would go to their local market on a bicycle rather than their scooter because they would get charged less that way.

Integrity might be very differently expressed by different people around the world. To think that your version is the only version or the only correct version is rather myopic. A taxi driver who drives a tourist who has enough money to travel and buy expensive dive equipment get into an argument over a few pennies or even a few dollars might just look at that person as lacking integrity, as well.

It seems to me that you are equating "right" in an absolute sense with the subjective way you think things should be.
Thats right..:) after all I did say IMO. But I guess I could have written it out more clearly - that everything that I say on topics such as this is always in my opinion.

It’s Mexico…the dollar to peso exchange rate is a suggestion (see above) only that will vary from shop to shop and minute by minute

I hope nobody reckons that’s any different anywhere on earth for any currency pair, don’t you? Or that there is any exchange rate for pesos in shops in most of the US? Or that there exists any official exchange rate anywhere?

Those little bananas are certainly addictive, though.

Nope. Not happening. Nobody else has to answer like that. How did the people of Peru refer to you? "He who is from the USA"?
Last week I was doing my check in for my Avianca (a Colombian airline) flight from Guatemala back to Colombia, here’s the screenshot of the page asking for nationality.

Attachments

• 2DA26AC3-09A1-4070-9BAC-76EC5B20FDDA.jpeg
    2DA26AC3-09A1-4070-9BAC-76EC5B20FDDA.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 50
It is true tha continents do not define citizenship, but it is normal to classify people from their continent of origin: European, African, Asian, American. Well, actually these are two continents, so better specifying North American or South American.
Here in Italy, we call Americano a guy from USA or perhaps Canada, and we assume he speaks English. Sudamericano instead from anywhere south of USA (including Mexico, which in reality is in North America, but people are ignorant of geography). And we assume he will speak Spanish (or Portoguese, but for us they sound quite similar).
So the distinction is not really geographical, it is more language-based.
We think that North American means speaking English (albeit in Canada there is also a lot of French speakers). And South American means speaking Spanish.
Australia ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom