What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I was at 5th Ave and Salas today and wanted to go to La Cucina Italiana at Called 6 and 15th Ave. It was noon, hot, and I did not feel like walking since I didn't have interim stops at the lab along the way for Covid testing, so I flagged a passing cab and asked for a quote. "60 Pesos." Ok, I know that their rate card says 26 Pesos from one point to another within Zone 1 to another in Zone 1. I would not like driving a passenger for $1.30USD, but it's their rate card. I argued that their rate card says 26, and he says "Huh." I ask to see the rate card, which he's required to show, but he says "Huh." I showed him a photo of the card that I keep on my phone, and he still plays dumb. Yeah, I could wave him off and look for the next cab, but who knows how that will go as this seems typical of past experiences, so I offered 40 Pesos and he took me.

Lunch was great. I had the Shrimp and Fetachuni with Alfredo sauce, my usual. I walked back with a stop at the ice cream shop on 10th Ave.

Would it help if I carried full-size copies of their rate card? They usually seem willing to lie about fares still.

Gotta be honest. If it's $3.00 vs $1.30, I just pay and ride. If it's $15.00 vs $1.30, I take another cab. Life is too short.

In deference to my post, I would argue the quoted price but yet give the driver a generous tip most likely exceeding the trip cost. Principle matters.

A few extra pesos or dollars no biggee. But honesty? Yeah.

The rate card is mostly reference anymore - it's old, more than a few years old. There is also talk that they are in the process of adjusting their rates.

For me, the rate card says 50 pesos from like the ferry dock or Honda to my house - I have never been charged 50, it's almost always 60, sometimes 70. I'm sure I get treated slightly different because of living here but when they are asking slightly higher than an outdated rate card.........

I tip according to honesty also - when they tell me 70 and I know it's 50, I don't consider that dishonest when you consider the age of the rate card and gas prices.... I pay 100 pesos for the ride, no matter what they tell me the cost is

I think it's a racial issue in part. It's their rate card, but not for gringos.

I tip according to honesty also - when they tell me 70 and I know it's 50, I don't consider that dishonest when you consider the age of the rate card and gas prices.... I pay 100 pesos for the ride, no matter what they tell me the cost is
I do not support excessive tipping.

I was at 5th Ave and Salas today and wanted to go to La Cucina Italiana at Called 6 and 15th Ave. It was noon, hot, and I did not feel like walking since I didn't have interim stops at the lab along the way for Covid testing, so I flagged a passing cab and asked for a quote. "60 Pesos." Ok, I know that their rate card says 26 Pesos from one point to another within Zone 1 to another in Zone 1. I would not like driving a passenger for $1.30USD, but it's their rate card. I argued that their rate card says 26, and he says "Huh." I ask to see the rate card, which he's required to show, but he says "Huh." I showed him a photo of the card that I keep on my phone, and he still plays dumb. Yeah, I could wave him off and look for the next cab, but who knows how that will go as this seems typical of past experiences, so I offered 40 Pesos and he took me.

Lunch was great. I had the Shrimp and Fetachuni with Alfredo sauce, my usual. I walked back with a stop at the ice cream shop on 10th Ave.

Would it help if I carried full-size copies of their rate card? They usually seem willing to lie about fares still.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Literally you might pay extra, who cares?

I try not to sweat the small stuff. This is pretty small stuff. To answer your question, I would pay the asking price or I would get another cab. I would not get into an argument with a cab driver, or anyone, for that matter, over a couple of dollars.

As a visitor that difference wouldn't be worth my time debating it. If I lived there and took taxis all the time, I might just get in and hand what I know is the proper amount when I get out. If he doesn't agree he can call the police or his supervisor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom