What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I offered 40 Pesos and he took me.
I like your approach. I understand the rates are old, things are more expensive everywhere, they need the money, and it's not a lot of money to a visitor or expat. However, I will feel more respected if I bargain them down--just a hair. Same with buying stuff where there is room for negotiation--bargain them down just a little, just to feel more respected.

There are people whose respect is important to me and there are people whose respect I do not care one way or the other about. For the former I will go to great lengths, for the latter I won't waste my time. YMMV.

Hmmm....

What do you do when the cab driver lies?​

I suppose you could post about it on the internet. The driver will never know about that, so it won't improve his behavior in the future, but I guess it'll give you some kind of satisfaction. Of course, if you value your own time, the 'cost' to write up the incident is likely more than the $1.70 difference in the fare.

If my Spanish was better, I would probably give the driver the agreed-on 40 pesos and no tip, and tell him that if he had charged the correct fare of 26 pesos, he would have gotten a 74 peso tip. I've had that conversation in other languages....it's usually not too confrontational (since they are getting a bonus anyway).

I wouldn’t worry about it. Literally you might pay extra, who cares?
So most of you don't care about the dishonesty of bait and switch?

I like your approach. I understand the rates are old, things are more expensive everywhere, they need the money, and it's not a lot of money to a visitor or expat. However, I will feel more respected if I bargain them down--just a hair. Same with buying stuff where there is room for negotiation--bargain them down just a little, just to feel more respected.
Yeah, I usually offer less and we settle on something.

So what should I expect to pay for going to the airport tomorrow? It's not in a Zone but across the street from Zone 1.

This is not “bait and switch”. This is just microscopic price gouging. These amounts are just too small for a Mexican brouhaha. When I’m on vacation, I try not to sweat the small stuff.

This is not “bait and switch”. This is just microscopic price gouging. These amounts are just too small for a Mexican brouhaha. When I’m on vacation, I try not to sweat the small stuff.
There's an echo in here. :D

Back
Top Bottom