What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! a kindred spirit :D

Don't forget bolting vs non bolting
Trads vs sport climbers
Solo vs roped teams
Seige tactics vs unsupported ascents
Pitons vs removable pro

Sorry for the hijack

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I wasn't going to overwhelm them with the merits of hand vs. power drilling, leeper cams vs. Lost Arrows, and ground up vs rap bolting, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

humm sound like your alpine :D. Ok no more hijacking :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

OMG ... sounds like DIR for rock climbers ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can definitely say that they can come in handy in deterring a beserk titan trigger fish that is making a torpedo run directly at you.

Can you please share your technique???

Last edited:
Of course, everybody is free to stop reading a thread once it becomes irrelevant to them. Or we could close every thread once the OP got a satisfactory answer. But we'd have very little discussion here if we did

Thanks - it's hard to stop reading the threads. I love the diversity of opinions, the fights, the pokes, the play, the great information from old timers & others - addictive, informative - kinda like good series & I don't even own a TV!

Last edited:
However, you did leave out an important part of my "ringing endorsement" ... it's generally not good form to take only the portion of someone's quote that, out of context, seems to support your point of view ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So here is your entire quote, a side note at the end of your post.

Nice picture, Doc ... I got a couple nice pygmy seahorse shots without using a stick too ... but I had to work hard at it, and took way more blurry shots than good ones (bet you did too) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My quote wasn't taken out of context. I was merely pointing out that you stated that you were able to take nice pics of a pygmy sea horse without the use of a poking stick. If those pics were harder to take without the stick matters not. What matters is that you were able to do it and were satisfied with your results. To me that means that you are a well trained diver who at the time didn't feel he needed the stick despite the fact that you can call someone "self limiting" for choosing not to use the stick.

Nothing personal Bob. I enjoy your point of view and always have. I know you to be a well trained diver because I have learned much from your posts over the years here on SB. You are an intelligent guy who I would bet on against me in the area of scuba knowledge. In this specific case though, I think you are contradicting yourself a little by defending a tool you pointed out yourself wasn't necessary, even in some of the most demanding dive/photo conditions.

So moving on, what are some other options that we can discuss? Is the use of a laser (green/blue/red) really viable? I have seen a DM using one but honestly I don't pay much attention to DM's (in most cases where DM led dives are required) as I don't like to spend my dive watching a DM harass marine life. Unfortunately I would say that 50% of my DM led dives in protected marine parks featured DM's poking, prodding, pulling, and even wrestling and breaking coral to show me something I had no interest in seeing that way. Would a laser pointer have helped? I don't know.

Last edited:
I can definitely say that they can come in handy in deterring a beserk titan trigger fish that is making a torpedo run directly at you.

Wow, I thought that the only way to deal with those nasties was to hide behind your buddy and hope she doesn't divorce you... :rofl3:

Hi,

Help - been spending way too much time sifting through accessory pages and can't seem to find a metal dive poker. Probably because I have no idea what they are "officially" called. My LDS does not carry them and has no idea what to call them either.

It is just a simple alluminum rod, about 1+ feet long, light weight and has a clip loop on the end.

Thanks!

If its for diving in currents its a big ole screwdriver available at moat hardware stores..
Ron

...available at moat hardware stores.

Man, that's a rough neighborhood. :rofl3:

Man, that's a rough neighborhood. :rofl3:
Well it’s a rough crowd on both sides of the tracks.

Thanks - it's hard to stop reading the threads. I love the diversity of opinions, the fights, the pokes, the play, the great information from old timers & others - addictive, informative - kinda like good series & I don't even own a TV!

People watching at its finest…

Oh my gawd Deciding on new equipment / how much lift? - ScubaBoard
I am new to diving as well and just from the different types of diving I have done, I have different setups for the place I go.For instance in the river I need lotsa pockets for the extra 20 pounds of weight I carry to keep my narrow butt on the bottom ...
(same quote, some day I'll figure out how to multi quote)
and of course my trusty pick for holding position in a current…Hope this help from one noob to another
Ron

:D

So moving on, what are some other options that we can discuss? Is the use of a laser (green/blue/red) really viable? I have seen a DM using one but honestly I don't pay much attention to DM's (in most cases where DM led dives are required) as I don't like to spend my dive watching a DM harass marine life. Unfortunately I would say that 50% of my DM led dives in protected marine parks featured DM's poking, prodding, pulling, and even wrestling and breaking coral to show me something I had no interest in seeing that way. Would a laser pointer have helped? I don't know.

Once again, it's not the tool ... it's how the tool gets used that matters.

I've seen people use laser pointers to point out tiny critters too. Keep in mind that in most parts of the world, these guys are getting paid to do just that. Most times they're aware that it's their livelihood, and are careful not to destroy or damage things. Sometimes it's different.

When I was diving in Indonesia, we diived with four different operations in Bali, Komodo, Bunaken, and Lembeh ... and used several different guides. At no time did I see any of them damage anything ... or even actually touch the critter they were pointing out. Moving a sea fan or gorgonian doesn't damage it if it's done properly ... current and surge move them every day, after all. Using a pointer in the proximity of a tiny crab or seahorse didn't seem to disturb the critter at all. Using a reef rod to steady oneself doesn't damage anything if one is careful where they put it ... it's far less damaging, in fact, than accidentally getting your fins too close to a reef ... which is the realistic alternative. I respect your opinion that if you can't control yourself without aids, then it's not worth seeing ... but let's face it, a lot of people who pay thousands of dollars to go see these sites aren't going to take that view. I'm in favor of making it possible for them to do what they WILL do in a way that mitigates the risk of damage.

Yes, I got my shots without the use of an aid ... but I have over a couple thousand hours of bottom time to draw on, and I don't have any expectation that someone who dives a lot less than me will be able to do something just because I can.

As for using a laser pointer ... if you do not shine it directly on the critter then I think it's OK. What I do at home ... using just my regular dive light (granted in much darker conditions than most people like to dive in) is to circle around the critter, indicating that I want the other diver to look inside the area I'm circling. That can be done very effectively with a laser pointer without damaging anything.

It's important that any piece of diving gear be used appropriately, and not as a substitute for developing good diving skills and habits. On the other hand, divers come at all skill and experience levels ... and realistically, none of us can dive without one way or another changing the environment we dive in. It's incumbant on all of us to recognize that fact and do what we can to minimize our impact. In some cases, I think a reef rod is a viable alternative because using one results in less of an impact than would be the case if the diver didn't have one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom