What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone here on SCUBA Board in this thread above I will pay the shipping on Reed's Rod and I will give you your money back if you use it properly and don't like it, just ship it back! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

I have used mine for years and you might be surprised at the list of Photographers who use my rod:wink: A tool is just that a tool and just like a gun or other tools can be miss used..... I put the rod together help protect the reef having seen some destroy a section of reef to get the "Picture" for that magazine you read!

792_IMG_8234_Reeds_rod_web_photo.jpg

Anyone here on SCUBA Board in this thread above I will pay the shipping on Reed's Rod and I will give you your money back if you use it properly and don't like it, just ship it back! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

I have used mine for years and you might be surprised at the list of Photographers who use my rod:wink: A tool is just that a tool and just like a gun or other tools can be miss used..... I put the rod together help protect the reef having seen some destroy a section of reef to get the "Picture" for that magazine you read!

792_IMG_8234_Reeds_rod_web_photo.jpg

A splendid offer!

I would get one for my wife but we have yet to dive high current waters..
But dont think when we plan some high current dive that you wont see a PM from me quoteing this message since you didnt put any time limit on it! hahha

I will also throw in that this site has too many self appointed "reef police" that really put people off.

If you want to educate, fine. If you want to help, fine. If you want to push your opinionated one sided views of things on people then dont be surprised when you are diving with a bunch of people who dont come to this board because of some issue where they were berated for posting something..

Its a rod.. nothing spectacular about it. It serves a purpose. If you are such an elite diver that in a high current, you can suspend yourself with near 0 effort then I am sure the military has use for your abilities. It makes sense if you are diving in a local where the conditions warrant its use. Instead of seeing it this way, you choose to adopt the "It will kill everything it touches" mentality. Like a gun or a paper straw. Anything can kill when the person using it wishes to use it in that manner. Its up to responsible people to choose how to "use" it properly. Keep it in perspective. Geesh..

They way some of the people act here, gets me to think that they dont really go reef diving that much and are scared that if everyone kills everything off, when they finally do get a reef dive in, it will be empty.

We only dive about 20-30 times a year in the ocean. Not as much as we want but its what is within the budget. I find I can enjoy any moment underwater as long as I am underwater. I have been shorediving in Playa Del Carmen. There is nothing there. Its like an underwater desert. Nothing but sand. At times there is the occassional patch of green and maybe a crab or two.. but nothing else... I still enjoyed it because I got to spend some under water time.

Now I understand what you all were trying to say when I was new and started this thread. Sorry for being so belligerent, but honestly, most of the pros where I learned to dive dove with this type of stick so it was all I knew when I came to scubaboard.

Thanks for teaching me so much!!

What di I miss here.:confused:
This old thread was dead as a doornail.
It came back and was moved here.WHY.:confused:

If you use one of these, you're going to die.

Tom :)

Is that why we might call this a 'Ghost Thread'..... or is it because the thread was buried 3 years ago? LOL

Exactly how long DID you spend searching for this thread, so that you could crack that joke? LMAO

Nice trip down memory lane. Was it only three years ago that I met through this thread someone who has become a cherished friend? I can happily report that she no longer has the need or desire for a pokey stick ... :D

The thread is a classic study in how we judge others based on our own training, experience, environment and preferences. It's a big world out there, and I think most of us have barely begun to experience the diversity it offers. What might we benefit by approaching such questions with more of an open mind?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My wife Debbie (the scubadiva) calls hers her "pinger." A friend of ours makes them- though there is not much to it. He cuts a length of aluminum rod, drills a hole through one end so a lanyard can be attached, and dips the hand held end in a rubbery acrylic goo that hardens into a handle slightly larger than the rod. Multiple dips results in a thicker handle- it's a custom made thing! Debbie uses hers to point, to touch or hold a rock or sand bottom or dead coral for stability sometimes in current or surge, and ( please forgive her ) occasionally to sword fight with a lobster or crab. She doesn't touch them much. Occasionally she will use it as a tank banger, or to tap me (usually gently) to call my attention to something. She loves having it. I like hands free (though I am usually holding a camera). It seems that true "pinger" or "reef rod" or "muck rod" officianados love their rods, and are constantly finding new things (mostly appropriate) to do with them. I have even seen one used to apply the coup de gras to a speared lionfish. (see my blog- A Tale of Two Lionfish Hunters
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom