Review of the Apeks Exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irreverent300

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have owned the Exotec since October 2023. I got one as that is what my store sells and considers top of the line, and as an instructor we have to wear what we sell!!! It feels great. I got 65 dives on it since! Now with that said last weekend I noticed, rather heard, a popping sound in the lumbar area. Got it home and got to looking. The lumbar bolt is not loose but the plastic grommet and metal washer where the bolt goes through are giving out. Also where the waist straps/buckles/ weight pocket holders connect to the lumbar plate, since I have to adjust it, the metal eyelets have been rubbing on the back plate, and has been filing the edges of the back plate. The same is happening to another one of our assistant instructors. I have emailed Apeks and sent them pictures of it, but have not heard back yet.

Now, it is perfect for travel long and short distances with it. I can easily fit in my Aqualung carry-on when traveling by plane. I definitely love the materials as it dries very quickly and the wrapture system and grip material are phenomenal. I am okay with the tank valve strap and the chest strap but rather have a clip/snap buckles. The color and model variety are good thinkin by Apeks. The lumbar BioReact articulating waist system was genius idea. it allows me to twist and turn and the BCD just stays in contour with me awhile allowing me to maintain "perfect" buoyancy at all times. Over all a great BCD to dive with, although i still have concerns about the issues with the bolts, eyelets and backplate I am experiencing. Check the pics I have attached.

The Exotec is in no way a replacement or better BCD that the Black Ice as some people have said it was meant to be. Nice but not better! Apeks definitely made a huge mistake by discontinuing the Black Ice.

Attachments

• IMG_6473.JPG
    IMG_6473.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6474.JPG
    IMG_6474.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6475.JPG
    IMG_6475.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6476.JPG
    IMG_6476.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6477.JPG
    IMG_6477.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 40
I have owned the Exotec since October 2023. I got one as that is what my store sells and considers top of the line, and as an instructor we have to wear what we sell!!! It feels great. I got 65 dives on it since! Now with that said last weekend I noticed, rather heard, a popping sound in the lumbar area. Got it home and got to looking. The lumbar bolt is not loose but the plastic grommet and metal washer where the bolt goes through are giving out. Also where the waist straps/buckles/ weight pocket holders connect to the lumbar plate, since I have to adjust it, the metal eyelets have been rubbing on the back plate, and has been filing the edges of the back plate. The same is happening to another one of our assistant instructors. I have emailed Apeks and sent them pictures of it, but have not heard back yet.

Now, it is perfect for travel long and short distances with it. I can easily fit in my Aqualung carry-on when traveling by plane. I definitely love the materials as it dries very quickly and the wrapture system and grip material are phenomenal. I am okay with the tank valve strap and the chest strap but rather have a clip/snap buckles. The color and model variety are good thinkin by Apeks. The lumbar BioReact articulating waist system was genius idea. it allows me to twist and turn and the BCD just stays in contour with me awhile allowing me to maintain "perfect" buoyancy at all times. Over all a great BCD to dive with, although i still have concerns about the issues with the bolts, eyelets and backplate I am experiencing. Check the pics I have attached.

The Exotec is in no way a replacement or better BCD that the Black Ice as some people have said it was meant to be. Nice but not better! Apeks definitely made a huge mistake by discontinuing the Black Ice.

Attachments

• IMG_6481.JPG
    IMG_6481.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6478.JPG
    IMG_6478.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6479.JPG
    IMG_6479.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6480.JPG
    IMG_6480.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6482.JPG
    IMG_6482.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 35
So according to Apeks and quote; "There is an upgrade kit for this product that was issued last year. This BCD has not been upgraded .Please make sure to go back to the dealer you've bought it from. They will expertise your product and either fix it themself or come back to us directly."

Funny how there is nothing out there about this upgrade!

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom