Buying my first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuckyLuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

I hope you dont mind the bundle question, but i really didnt want to start my SB career with multiple new threads.

I am buying my first gear, and will go the path of buying new. I am not "standard sized" so that is actuall my only option.

I am 195cm tall, but slim in the waist, so any jacket style bcd that would suit me height wise, would be too big in the waist. Therefore I have narrowed down my choice to the SP Hydros pro and the Apeks exotec.

As for the suit, I am looking at wet/semi dry suit - SP Nova Scotia, SP definition front zip and Apeks Thermiq. I was recommended a 5mm suit with a 6mm hooded vest, but I would like to avoid it (unless you guys think it really is the best option). Due to my height, I like the option of the detached hood, so my head is not slammed all the way back to my tank:)

As for my experience so far, the local dealers just want to sell me the stuff they have in stock, and I am affraid of buying online, because I cant try on the fit before buying.

Any thoughts on this gear? Offcourse, all alternative suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm 193cm with attached hoods for warmth without my head slamming all the way back to my tank

I'm 193cm with attached hoods for warmth without my head slamming all the way back to my tank
So if I get an extra long suit, it shouldnt be a problem?

This may be an obvious question, but have you considered a BP/W for a BCD? Very highly configurable so that you can solve for almost any body shape.

A lot of shops don’t carry them because a lot of shops just carry a range of products that one or two manufacturers recommend.

There are many online tutorials for how to adjust your harness.

There are also many well respected online shops. I’m happy to answer questions if you are struggling w/ setup.

This may be an obvious question, but have you considered a BP/W for a BCD? Very highly configurable so that you can solve for almost any body shape.

A lot of shops don’t carry them because a lot of shops just carry a range of products that one or two manufacturers recommend.

There are many online tutorials for how to adjust your harness.

There are also many well respected online shops. I’m happy to answer questions if you are struggling w/ setup.
I see that the board is very supportive regarding the BP/W setup, but honestly I would just buy "of the shelf", rather than DIY type. I fear that my level of experience is to low to get into that.

Granted, I wouldnt mind saving some money, but I wouldnt want to get myself introuble at the cost of a couple hundred bucks.

The Hydros is an excellent b/c, the Apeks looks interesting but haven’t used one. Scubapro also makes the S-tek backplate which is nice and price wise in the same range as the others.

in your are there are brand options for the basic type of backplate wing too which would save money.

if you can find someone who dives a bp/w they may be able to show you just how easy it is to set up.

The Hydros is an excellent b/c, the Apeks looks interesting but haven’t used one. Scubapro also makes the S-tek backplate which is nice and price wise in the same range as the others.

in your are there are brand options for the basic type of backplate wing too which would save money.

if you can find someone who dives a bp/w they may be able to show you just how easy it is to set u

I can get a good price on the hydros, and the price difference to the exotec is really small. But exotec is new, so I am afraid it will have some startup problems like the hydros😀

In my area, just the tech divers us BP/W setups, the rekreational divers I dive with all use some of the shelf bcd's, but even a test dive with the hydros is impossible, since they are quite rarely used. As for the exotec, nobody I know has even saw it in person, which does not help...

Kinda sucks getting all my Information from google😀

I can get a good price on the hydros, and the price difference to the exotec is really small. But exotec is new, so I am afraid it will have some startup problems like the hydros😀

In my area, just the tech divers us BP/W setups, the rekreational divers I dive with all use some of the shelf bcd's, but even a test dive with the hydros is impossible, since they are quite rarely used. As for the exotec, nobody I know has even saw it in person, which does not help...

Kinda sucks getting all my Information from google😀
I just looked at the exotec yesterday, it more of a hybrid of the two types. Seek out a bp/w diver and talk to them, you can usually build a system that will do everything you need for about 1/2 the price of a top end b/c, or just go for the Hydros, it’s quite good.

I just looked at the exotec yesterday, it more of a hybrid of the two types. Seek out a bp/w diver and talk to them, you can usually build a system that will do everything you need for about 1/2 the price of a top end b/c, or just go for the Hydros, it’s quite good.
Sound advice, thank you.

Any toughts on the suit dilemma?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom