I invested in my first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double 8.5L 230 bar have become quite popular at least in northern Europe. I think I'd take those over D7s if available. Not many places around here fill up to 300.

Twin 7s at 232bar is 3248L of gas. Twin 7s at 300bar is 4200L of gas. So the 300's give you an extra 30% gas.
Not quite. IIRC D7 at 300 is only about 3800l liter or so (not sure what it really is though). So they're basically like D8.5s at 230.

Double 8.5L 230 bar have become quite popular at least in northern Europe. I think I'd take those over D7s if available. Not many places around here fill up to 300.

Not quite. IIRC D7 at 300 is only about 3800l liter or so (not sure what it really is though). So they're basically like D8.5s at 230.

The math is not that hard.

7L (water capacity) x 2 (they're twins) x 300bar (pressure)

7 x 2 x 300 = 4200L

D8.5s are 8.5 x 2 x 230 = 3910L

D12s are 12 x 2 x 230 = 5520L

(for simplicity I've rounded the numbers).

Think we're going a little off topic here...

The math is not that hard.

7L (water capacity) x 2 (they're twins) x 300bar (pressure)

7 x 2 x 300 = 4200L

D8.5s are 8.5 x 2 x 230 = 3910L

D12s are 12 x 2 x 230 = 5520L

(for simplicity I've rounded the numbers).

Think we're going a little off topic here...
I never had 300 bar tanks so I never do that but IIRC you lose about 10% at 300 bar. So it's more like 7 x 2 x 300 x 0.9 = 3780
It's less than what's in a D8.5.
Gas over 200 or 250 bar doesn't compress as well so you end up with less gas per bar. I think it's on topic when it's about what tank to pick.

Biggest difference with D7 300 and D8,5 232 is length of the bottles and buoyancy characteristics.
D7s are heavier, have more goods at the bottom of the bottles.
D8,5s are longer and if you are not very tall they can either be very top heavy or hit you in the legs.
I have owned both, am 180cm tall and sold the D8,5s because they were a) top heavy and b) too long.
I actually bought D12s, but later on bought a D7300 for purely recreational dives. They are a bit short on land, but trim out magically under water.

For me, I'd go with D12s or D7s (either 232 or 300) over D8,5 any day of the week.

(I still have my D12s in addition to an RB and te D7s...)

For me, I'd go with D12s or D7s (either 232 or 300) over D8,5 any day of the week.
He dives a wetsuit. D12 is too heavy unless he wants to dive a double bladder or gain 60 kg. Instead of D7 230bar you might as well get a 15l. Cheaper and he could keep using his wing.

Those XDEEP regs in the link you shared were recalled (NX700 with a turret).

They were replaced with a turretless version (CX100) which is the one that I have.
Ah, Ok, I thought they pulled all regs from the market. For some reason all the xdeep shops around here seem to have stopped selling xdeep regs. I thought it was because of the recall.

Ah, Ok, I thought they pulled all regs from the market. For some reason all the xdeep shops around here seem to have stopped selling xdeep regs. I thought it was because of the recall.
You could be right! I don’t think those models are subject to recall from what I’ve read anywhere (I hope not anyway), but they do appear to have been pulled from market anyway as you can’t get them anywhere really and xdeep don’t have any regs on their website at all - not sure if that means they are giving up on it altogether.

... don’t have any regs on their website at all ...
That doesn't make it sound like the regs are just on back order. I wonder whether they're going to have spare parts and service kits available in the future. Maybe get some some service kits now so you aren't left with a xdeep paperweight in a couple of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom