New diver and new to BP/W - my first time in the water with one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Huff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a very new diver, only 3 weeks since OW certification, however, it's the 3rd attempt at certification in 40 years (long story) and I've been an avid reader of forums, watcher of videos, reader of books on diving.

I knew early on that I would go BP/W once I was certified but had some troubles really understanding how to configure it.

So I thought I would take a little time and write up my experience as a brand new diver going right to BP/W.

First, make sure to read "Beginners Guide to BP/W" by swimlikethefish:
Beginners Guide To BP/W

It's a very helpful review of the basics about the equipment and the options.

If you're getting into BP/W right away as an early diver, it most likely means, like me, you have a ton of enthusiasm and you might over-research things. I found YouTube and ScubaBoard to be really helpful, but they seemed to concentrate on a) equipment reviews and b) expert folks getting into BP/W or Tech.

Simply Scuba, Inner Space Explorers and Lake Hickory Scuba are fantastic YouTube sources so make sure you subscribe to their channels and watch everything you can.

After 3 weeks of videos, forum posts and reading reviews on Amazon, scuba.com, vintage double hose and divegearexpress.com here is what I ended up doing and how it went for me.

I settled on the basic entry level BP/W from Dive Gear Express:
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

I went with the Stainless Steel BP, no shoulder pads, and 2 trim weight pouches. The total was under $400 and DGX got it to me in 2 days.

During my OW certification classes, I, like many others, was over-weighted so the instructor could keep us all close by on a platform and not floating off on our own. I had 12lb of weight on a stab-jacket-BCD and sank like a rock. So I really had no idea what kind of weight I should go with.

You'll read forum posts about experienced divers using just the SS BP which weighs in around 6lbs as their only weight. I love that idea, but I figured my breathing control was NO WHERE near good enough to achieve that, so I purchased 6 lbs of weight to go in the trim pouches and figured I could grab more if needed when I did my first dive at the quarry.

So, on to the setup. This is an area that most folks get intimidated by when first looking into BP/W.

and for good reason.

If you're new to this, it sure can be confusing. OW Class teaches you to "just put it on and sink. hit the power inflator until you bob like a cork, then somehow find a middle ground... don't worry, you'll get it down kid".

Moving to a BP/W right after that and trying to get your weight down is a guessing game... we just don't have enough experience to know what we're talking about.

Some of you reading this might think "Right, go dive some before you try this out and gain some knowledge" and I can't argue with that. In fact, that's what I would tell most new divers as well, but some of us just wont listen and we really want to figure things out, so here I am.

If you're on this path, then be prepared to spend a bunch of extra time adjusting webbing and cam bands at home and at the dive site before you ever get in the water.

Take a friend who is patient and won't get upset by you taking and extra 20 or 30 minutes to figure things out while they stand around fully suited up and ready to go.

The first struggle once you receive whatever BP/W you go with is going to be getting the webbing done right. The instructions that come with your gear is going to suck. Most vendors seem to think if you're ordering a BP/W then you must be a tech diver and have been around other tech divers who have shown you their equipment so of course you already know how to setup your single 2" thick webbing.

Me, not so much, I'm totally new. I found the following videos helpful:

Simply Scuba - How to fi the Hollis Elite II harness

Inner Space Explorers (ISE) - Backplate:

Scuba Gear: How to assemble a deluxe harness: Dive Rite

how to lace a cam-band (I had to look this up and watch it while at the dive site):

and most helpful, ScubaToys - How to thread a backplate system:

The problem is, not one of these gets close enough to actually show you how to thread the retainer clips and d-rings nor the cam bans to hold on the tank

So I had to use them all to figure it all out.

Here's a quick album of my finished setup AFTER I did two dives with it.

Once I had it figured out, I was ready to spend a few days in my "scuba room" (my home office) donning and doffing the setup to get used to it.

The ISE video above is golden in helping you get things setup and learning how to get it on/off. I can NOT pronounce the guys name in the videos, but he is fantastic and produces really great, no nonsense videos.

After a week of practice in a room I was ready to get to the water with my BP/W after just picking up my SDI OW Certification card from my LDS (Local Dive Shop).

I went to the quarry, grabbed an AL80 tank, and went to the water.

First up, my cam band were no were near setup correctly (Edit: apparently they still aren't, read below). Expect to be stumped if you go with the DGX setup (no instructions... grrr) and watch the cam ban video above to get it right.

Make it tight around your tank. This will take some practice, you WILL make it too loose several times. Keep trying, watch the video a few times and get your buddy to help.

I started off with just the 6lb SS backplate and no extra weight.

Bad idea, I could not descend at all, just stayed on the surface.

I grabbed 8 lbs of weight from the quarry dive shop thinking I would need that much to get down and put them in the two trim pouches around the cam band. This basically meant I had 14lb of weight on me with the 6lb SS BP.

Yup, sank like a rock but that's OK. The 30# wing from DGX easily had me on the surface if I wanted to be.

The fit of the harness I actually got right from the start (Edit: I'm told my shoulder straps are too tight by several posters, so even when I thought I had it, I was still off). If you're just setting yours up, make it tight around the crotch strap, waist and shoulders. You might think it's really tight at your home, but once you get a tank on it and get it wet, it's going to shift, so cinch that fella up and make it tight all around. The webbing will expand some once wet for the first time.

The stability of the BP/W I'm told, is all in the hips. So the waist and the crotch strap are the import parts of the system. The shoulders really only "hold" weight when you're walking around on land before you get in the water. After that, it all floats up and off your shoulders a little bit and the weight transfers.

Once you're actually in the water a meter down, the BP/W really comes into its own. With 8lbs in the trim pouches and the 6lbs of the SS BP, I was able to hover with very little air in the wing.

I spent 51 minutes down on the first dive and then did the most important thing... I spent 5 minutes doing a safety stop around 10-15 ft with about 500 psi of air to check my buoyancy. THIS is the time you really want to check buoyancy, not at the start of the dive (remember, you're lighter at this point because gas has weight.)

I was able to hover with no problem. I then dumped all my air to see how fast I would sink... and I dropped like a rock again.

On my second dive, I went with 6lbs of weight on the trim pouches, so with the 6lbs of weight of the SS BP, I was now at 12lbs of weight.

Similar results, but I didn't sink as fast during my safety stop.

I was done for the day at this point, but my next test will be with 4 lbs in the trim pouches and I suspect I will still drop, but much less.

What this means is that 6lbs in the trim pouches will most likely be where I stay for 3 MM wet suit and warm water diving.

After two 50'ish minute dives I can say without a doubt that BP/W is the way for me... BUT it's going to be difficult to get it all adjusted. I was frustrated by how fast everyone else was setup and ready and I don't think I would take this rig out on a dive boat just yet as I would most likely piss everyone off with how long it took me to get setup (that's a guess, never been on a dive boat) so I'm going to keep practicing at the local quarry.

If you're like me and you want to jump right to the BP/W from OW, do so, but make sure you put in plenty of practice time because if you show up in a BP/W setup, people might expect you to know what you're doing.

Hope this helps some of the new folks to a BP/W. Don't take my advice as solid, I'm just starting out, but I'm having fun and think I'm on the right path.

Great write up. Your journey is similar to mine so your perspective is helpful.

Thank you for the extra effort you made in doing this in depth post!

The fit of the harness I actually got right from the start. If you're just setting yours up, make it tight around the crotch strap, waist and shoulders. You might think it's really tight at your home, but once you get a tank on it and get it wet, it's going to shift, so cinch that fella up and make it tight all around. The webbing will expand some once wet for the first time.

The stability of the BP/W is all in the hips. So the waist and the crotch strap are the import parts of the system. The shoulders really only "hold" weight when you're walking around on land before you get in the water. After that, it all floats up and off your shoulders a little bit and the weight transfers.

I suspect you have your shoulder straps too tight. Eventually you want to be able to reach your drysuit dump and do shutdowns by reaching back. These require good mobility and excessively tight straps will be a problem.

Honestly though, this post is a great advert for just finding someone to teach you how to use the actual kit you will be diving with. If you spent your initial training thinking that SB people know better than the person teaching you then what are you choosing to believe?

Nice write-up Brian. Could you post some images of your assembled rig?

Edited the original post to add them.

I suspect you have your shoulder straps too tight.

Take a look at the pictures I added to the original post. I followed ISE's guide. My point with making it tight when you're first setting it up is that when you first set it up, as someone who is really new, we'll most likely fit it to feel right at that time. However, the webbing will expand/release when you first get it wet, so I was advising to make it tight to start with basically.

this post is a great advert for just finding someone to teach you how to use the actual kit you will be diving with

Can't argue with that and if you have someone readily available to teach you, you're going to really benefit from it.

If you spent your initial training thinking that SB people know better than the person teaching you then what are you choosing to believe?

I'm not following you here. I paid very good attention during my initial training and soaked up everything my instructor had to teach me. But it was a class of 12 with 6 kids, so he couldn't really break away to talk about BP/W setups. I'm already signed up for additional classes with a much smaller group and I suspect I'll get some training/advice on my setup during those classes.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting in any way that someone shouldn't listen to their instructors, I'm just sharing my experience as a newbie.

Great write up. Your journey is similar to mine so your perspective is helpful.

Thank you for the extra effort you made in doing this in depth post!

Most welcome, glad I'm not the only one out there bumbling around!

Welcome to the BPW side (not saying it's the light or dark side, but we sometime bring donuts). Your write-up is very good, mirroring much of what I went through. I agree that your shoulder straps look too tight, but it's hard to tell unless you're in the water (for me). In the water they should slide off your shoulders easily. It also looks like the cam bands are threaded incorrectly in your pictures. A pic from the top would be more clear. I don't use trim weights, but if I did they would be both on the same cam band nestled to the side so that they are between the tank and the wing. That way they are closer to your center of buoyancy and will make it easier to maintain neutral time side to side. Maybe you already changed this since you took the pictures. One thing I love about BPW is the unlimited experimenting you can do to really dial in the fit and performance. Thanks for posting!

Welcome to the dark side, Luke you will love your bpw

we sometime bring donuts

lol - I love a good pun!

I agree that your shoulder straps look too tight, but it's hard to tell unless you're in the water (for me). In the water they should slide off your shoulders easily.

It's quiet possible that they are, I'll make sure to have my next instructor double check them and advise as well, much appreciated.

t also looks like the cam bands are threaded incorrectly in your pictures. A pic from the top would be more clear.

Here are two additional pics, I followed the "how to thread a cam band" video I put in my OP, hopefully I got it right.

I don't use trim weights, but if I did they would be both on the same cam band nestled to the side so that they are between the tank and the wing. That way they are closer to your center of buoyancy and will make it easier to maintain neutral time side to side. Maybe you already changed this since you took the pictures

I actually tried both ways. I had both trim weight pouches on the lower band for a bit, then both on the upper band for a bit both times having them nestled as close to the wing as possible but they slid around and became un-even after some time. I'm sure there are better ways. The way I had them in my pics allowed for the velcro go over them and hold them in place. It was helpful on the surface. But I'm sure not as good at depth. Once I've got a dozen dives in with this setup I'm sure I'll need a better method for taking down weight.

One thing I love about BPW is the unlimited experimenting you can do to really dial in the fit and performance. Thanks for posting!

Very much agreed, I am really enjoying the various options. I have a friend who was getting rid of his Halcyon Evolve 60 for doubles and I picked it up cheap. It's for way into the future, but I love that my existing BP will do the job, no need to buy an entire new BCD to move into twins.

Thanks for all your feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom