New diver and new to BP/W - my first time in the water with one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've enjoyed this thread, OP, seeing you learn in a totally different way to my own background.

Something that does strike me is that it takes a bit of time underwater to learn even just how to move, which might be a bcd thing but you're on quite the learning curve. Good luck!

Now you're all over the place. Have you tried meditation .........grasshopper?

ha, that might help for a number of things.

Just meant that I could see using something like that, I'm not rigid or anything. BP/W is what I have now and I like it.. next year, who knows?

Something that does strike me is that it takes a bit of time underwater to learn even just how to move, which might be a bcd thing but you're on quite the learning curve. Good luck!

Agreed. It'll take me a while to think about balance, posture, etc underwater.

You will get it setup easily after a couple times.

I too was like you and after being newly certified with 16 dives after OW/AOW (and some discover scuba) and then I did my 2 first "real" dives after certification using a jacket style BP/W down in the keys, I wanted to buy all of my own gear. To make a long story short, I went with a BP/W as well.

I ended up buying a tank too so that at home I could setup everything just as I would at a dive site. After doing that and getting my adjustments down, I tried it in a pool for the first time, and I actually needed to make like no adjustments. I was in a pool with a wetsuit on and even with no weight, I sunk like a rock.

I then took it to a pool once again after making some adjustments at home and I felt I was ready to go.

Last week I took it into the ocean for the first time and it was fantastic! The setup was actually VERY easy for me. I put it all together at my hotel and just tossed it in my dive bag before going to the marina to get on the boat and dive. On the boat, I setup all of my own gear. It took me a few adjustments to get the cambands to fit tight, but after that, everything was ready to go.

I too didn't know what weight I needed since in the pool with the exact setup I sunk like a rock, so I went with 2lbs in each trim pocket, for 4lbs total. It felt perfect and that is what I went with. Prior, when using jacket style rental BCD, 6lbs was perfect for me.

I was also pointed to this style cam bands which cost a little bit more money but are a lot easier to get on/off, and I am glad I did because it was a piece of cake to swap tanks on the boat between dive sites.

Edge Tank Cam Strap with Stainless Pro Cam Buckle

I also realize that after those dives that I need to get a shorter inflator hose and probably a shorter octo hose as well that I dangle around my neck. My inflator hose is 22" and I am going to get an 18" hose as I kept noticing it bowing up off my shoulder a bit since it was a bit too long, and I notice that my octo was dangling a bit further than it needed to be. I believe the octo length is 24" and I'll see if I can go lower.

You will get it setup easily after a couple times.

Agreed, it's all about practice & experience. I've dove with it only twice, freshwater at the quarry, so much more practice is needed.

I've thought about getting better cam bands as well, thanks for that recommendation.

I'll be back at the quarry this weekend for 2 or 4 dives to try out new regs. then heading to the coast for some inland dives.

I'm quiet certain I'll be changing things up and continuing to test out other setups... all part of the fun.

Update - a few more dives in on my BP/W setup, still in freshwater at the quarry, no saltwater yet.

First, I ended up adding a STA and switched from the basic cam bands to a set of Aqua Lung ones that were much easier to setup and switch between aluminum and steel tanks. As seen throughout this post, I'm not the best cam band webbing threader.

With the STA and an LP85, I needed no weight to descend slowly at the end of the dive with 600 psi in a 3mm. With an AL80 I used 6lbs, but haven't done any other testing.

The STA did help a little, perhaps, in stabilization, but I couldn't tell you by how much, it was minimal. The benefit for me was in reduced weight in my pouches and just an easier time in setting up and swapping tanks. It made a large difference in those areas.

Many here noted that my shoulder straps were too tight. I think it's more of a bad picture that I took as opposed to actually being too tight. I can easily get a fist between myself and my straps when on the surface and when in the water, the straps come off very easily. Getting in and out of the harness is very easy, a quick chicken-wing of one arm and I'm in/out. I'll take an updated picture someday for the record.

In the water, the comfort is fantastic, I can see why so many here recommend this setup and I'm glad I researched and took everyone's advice.

Update - a few more dives in on my BP/W setup, still in freshwater at the quarry, no saltwater yet.

First, I ended up adding a STA and switched from the basic cam bands to a set of Aqua Lung ones that were much easier to setup and switch between aluminum and steel tanks. As seen throughout this post, I'm not the best cam band webbing threader.

With the STA and an LP85, I needed no weight to descend slowly at the end of the dive with 600 psi in a 3mm. With an AL80 I used 6lbs, but haven't done any other testing.

The STA did help a little, perhaps, in stabilization, but I couldn't tell you by how much, it was minimal. The benefit for me was in reduced weight in my pouches and just an easier time in setting up and swapping tanks. It made a large difference in those areas.

Many here noted that my shoulder straps were too tight. I think it's more of a bad picture that I took as opposed to actually being too tight. I can easily get a fist between myself and my straps when on the surface and when in the water, the straps come off very easily. Getting in and out of the harness is very easy, a quick chicken-wing of one arm and I'm in/out. I'll take an updated picture someday for the record.

In the water, the comfort is fantastic, I can see why so many here recommend this setup and I'm glad I researched and took everyone's advice.

ya your pictures showing just 2 fingers meant it was too tight. If you can fit a fist in then your pretty good now.

Your weighting should not be based on your ability to descend at the end of a dive with gas in your tank. You want to weight yourself so that you can hold a (safety) stop without gas in your wing. So basically, with an empty wing, you can hover at 5m/15ft, with 35bar/500psi left in your cylinder.

A pound here or there isn't going to make much of a difference, but you want to make sure you're aiming for the proper goal.

Your weighting should not be based on your ability to descend at the end of a dive with gas in your tank. You want to weight yourself so that you can hold a (safety) stop without gas in your wing. So basically, with an empty wing, you can hover at 5m/15ft, with 35bar/500psi left in your cylinder.

A pound here or there isn't going to make much of a difference, but you want to make sure you're aiming for the proper goal.

I could be wrong but I figured that Brian actually meant "ascend" slowly not "descend", as it was the end of his dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom