New diver and new to BP/W - my first time in the water with one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You went the same route as me. It is indeed a learning experience and involved some experimentation and mistakes enroute. I have my primary reg on a 40" hose under the arm and my second on a short hose necklace. I learned primary donate anyway because the shop used all Air2 equipment, so it was an easy transition. Didn't care for the Air2 due to difficulty looking to the right while using it.

For me it was the right decision without a doubt, I enjoy the minimalist feel.

I was able to shed a lot of lead too, which
Went from 22lbs with a Scubapro Rental BC, 7mm wetsuit, 5mm hooded sleeveless vest, 5mm boots and 3mm gloves. HP steel 80
To 8lbs lead with the BP/W 8/6/5 wetsuit, 7/5 hooded vest, same boots and gloves, tank.

During a recent first trip to warm water, a weight check and a couple of dives with 3mm wetsuit and Aluminum 80 proved almost the same lead, 7lbs was perfect. Less buoyancy in the suit and more in the tank.

Enjoy.

You went the same route as me. It is indeed a learning experience and involved some experimentation and mistakes enroute. I have my primary reg on a 40" hose under the arm and my second on a short hose necklace. I learned primary donate anyway because the shop used all Air2 equipment, so it was an easy transition. Didn't care for the Air2 due to difficulty looking to the right while using it.

For me it was the right decision without a doubt, I enjoy the minimalist feel.

I was able to shed a lot of lead too, which
Went from 22lbs with a Scubapro Rental BC, 7mm wetsuit, 5mm hooded sleeveless vest, 5mm boots and 3mm gloves. HP steel 80
To 8lbs lead with the BP/W 8/6/5 wetsuit, 7/5 hooded vest, same boots and gloves, tank.

During a recent first trip to warm water, a weight check and a couple of dives with 3mm wetsuit and Aluminum 80 proved almost the same lead, 7lbs was perfect. Less buoyancy in the suit and more in the tank.

Enjoy.

what length is your alt hose?

ya your pictures showing just 2 fingers meant it was too tight. If you can fit a fist in then your pretty good now.

Yeah, it feels right, instructor said looked right, so I'm thinking I just need to work on my selfie-skills.

Your weighting should not be based on your ability to descend at the end of a dive with gas in your tank. You want to weight yourself so that you can hold a (safety) stop without gas in your wing. So basically, with an empty wing, you can hover at 5m/15ft, with 35bar/500psi left in your cylinder.

A pound here or there isn't going to make much of a difference, but you want to make sure you're aiming for the proper goal.

Copy that, I'll work towards that goal, most likely a ways off but something to aim for.

I could be wrong but I figured that Brian actually meant "ascend" slowly not "descend", as it was the end of his dive.

I wish you correct there, but nah, I was aiming to have a near-empty tank and just enough weight on to descend slowly with no air in my wing. My logic was that if for some reason I needed to descend at the end of a dive.. dropped a mask or buddy needed me, I could do it easily.

Once again JohnnyC provides some education. Going to have to send him some money for instructions soon at this rate.

Thanks all.

I learned primary donate anyway because the shop used all Air2 equipment, so it was an easy transition. Didn't care for the Air2 due to difficulty looking to the right while using it.

My class had a mix of octo and Air2 rental jackets, they gave me an Air2 and I didn't like it. Could only look to the left when sharing air. Very glad I took my lessons in one and found out I didn't like it otherwise I might have been tempted to buy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom