Looking for help with my first gear purchase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up about needing a long backplate. I didn't even know that was a thing. One thing I have been wondering about, and after looking at your picture I am really concerned about. If I get a BPW, and I use it on my warm water dives as well, I prefer diving without a top on, is there anything protecting your back from the knobs/bolts/etc if you aren't wearing a wet or dry suit?
This was me wearing my BP/W on a liveaboard in Thailand 4 years ago. I did 20 dives in 5 days in a t-shirt or no shirt with no problems. Water temp was around 85F (29.5C).

Screenshot_20230430-204943-005.png

I figured I should post a follow up to this. I have purchased a lot of gear since my last post. The price tag is a little nauseating, but I think I made some good economical decisions. I am looking forward to recovering from/forgetting about the purchases and just moving on to the part where I enjoy the equipment for years to come.

I ended up going to a dive shop and trying on some wetsuits. Considering that I had never put on a wetsuit, this helped a lot to get the feel for different sizes in different materials. The shop did not end up having my size, but they got me close enough to be confident about what size I could get into. I ended up making my purchases not at the shop, but there are other things I will be buying from them and I am getting my AOW through them so I didn't just use them for a dressing room.

Here is what I purchased for my first gear setup:

DGX Gears XTRA Streamlined OW Reg Package
Hollis ST System - Used (I saved some money buying this used in "demo" condition)
Henderson Greenprene 5mm Men's Jumpsuit 3X-Large
Henderson Thermoprene Pro Men's 7/5mm Hooded Vest 3X-Large
Henderson 5mm Molded Sole Zipper Boot 13
Henderson 5mm Thermoprene Gloves X-Large
DGX Gears Ultra View Frameless Mask
Dive Rite Snorkel
Hollis Open Heel Dive Travel Fins F-2 X-Large

I run hot, so we will see if this works, but by thinking in getting a 5mm suit and 7mm/5mm hooded vest, is that this configuration will allow me to just wear the 5mm suit in inland lakes that wont be as cold as Michigan but still need some protection, without overheating.

so I didn't just use them for a dressing room.

You most definitely did use and abuse them.

I figured I should post a follow up to this. I have purchased a lot of gear since my last post. The price tag is a little nauseating, but I think I made some good economical decisions. I am looking forward to recovering from/forgetting about the purchases and just moving on to the part where I enjoy the equipment for years to come.

I ended up going to a dive shop and trying on some wetsuits. Considering that I had never put on a wetsuit, this helped a lot to get the feel for different sizes in different materials. The shop did not end up having my size, but they got me close enough to be confident about what size I could get into. I ended up making my purchases not at the shop, but there are other things I will be buying from them and I am getting my AOW through them so I didn't just use them for a dressing room.

Here is what I purchased for my first gear setup:

DGX Gears XTRA Streamlined OW Reg Package
Hollis ST System - Used (I saved some money buying this used in "demo" condition)
Henderson Greenprene 5mm Men's Jumpsuit 3X-Large
Henderson Thermoprene Pro Men's 7/5mm Hooded Vest 3X-Large
Henderson 5mm Molded Sole Zipper Boot 13
Henderson 5mm Thermoprene Gloves X-Large
DGX Gears Ultra View Frameless Mask
Dive Rite Snorkel
Hollis Open Heel Dive Travel Fins F-2 X-Large

I run hot, so we will see if this works, but by thinking in getting a 5mm suit and 7mm/5mm hooded vest, is that this configuration will allow me to just wear the 5mm suit in inland lakes that wont be as cold as Michigan but still need some protection, without overheating.
I think you did pretty well, please let us know how you do

That's pretty judgey... not that I owe you any response, but to be clear I am spending hundreds of dollars with them. Two AOW certifications, two rescue diver certifications, a $150 gift certificate. I will likely spend hundreds more with them in the future. They didn't have a suit in the store that fit me.

How is that using and abusing them? How much money do I need to give them before you think I've paid my dues for thier advice? I'm glad they seem much more reasonable than you. They were very helpful and friendly.

That's pretty judgey... not that I owe you any response, but to be clear I am spending hundreds of dollars with them. Two AOW certifications, two rescue diver certifications, a $150 gift certificate. I will likely spend hundreds more with them in the future. They didn't have a suit in the store that fit me.

How is that using and abusing them? How much money do I need to give them before you think I've paid my dues for thier advice? I'm glad they seem much more reasonable than you. They were very helpful and friendly.

This:
they got me close enough to be confident about what size I could get into.

I think you did pretty well, please let us know how you do
I ended up getting my AOW with this gear and I was very happy with it. It worked for our deep dives in Lake Michigan, I was very comfortable temperature wise. The wing worked very well and didn't feel like it had a huge learning curve. I really like the weight pockets and release on the holis system.

Oh, and the mask... best mask I have ever worn (probably not a surprise considering everything before this was rentals, but...). No trouble at all with my mustache as I always tend to have. No silicone or Vaseline on my mustache, no trimming the top part... just a good seal.

Back
Top Bottom