Looking for help with my first gear purchase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is so much great information here, it is hard to keep up :) (its a good problem). Thank you so much. After reading all of your posts, I am feeling a lot better about some things. First of all I was worried that that saving money on a regulator could be a safety issue but it seems like that is not the case. I has also not considered getting a BPW, but now I am absolutely considering it. I especially like the idea of the weight of the plate/tanks reducing the amount I have to put on my belt. The amount I currently need on my belt is a little unwieldy especially considering it is without a suit on at all.

I really like the idea of carrying a second tank. I know this is something I need to work on, but I suck a lot of air. On my last dive I went from 3000 to 500 on a 15lb tank in 39 min with a max depth of 43ft. I am not an expert, but when when we come up every else usually has more air left on a smaller tank.

Some of you have asked about specific water temperature. I am not 100% sure because I have seen conflicting numbers, but lake Michigan gets pretty cold and takes a long time to warm up. My best guesstimate is that in June it will probably be around 45F at depth. I think it can start approaching 60F by the end of the summer.

A few of you have also asked for more specifics about my size. I am very large, but fairly athletic for my size. I am 350lbs and definitely fat, but I can still run/bike/etc. I have a very long torso. I am 6'3" tall and I have a 32" inseam. I usually have a 40" or 42" pants waist, but my belly is closer to 56". My chest is 58" and my neck is 20". I am trying to get all of those numbers down some, but I will always be large.
Sounds like you’re powerlifter big!
At 6’3” 350 lbs look at some wetsuit brands in 3X or 4X.
If all else fails, call JMJ wetsuits and order a custom. A good wetsuit is never a waste of money even if you go to a drysuit later. You can always use it for travel to somewhere like Southern California or anywhere for that mater.
The coldest I ever dived in a wetsuit was in 42 degree water off the Nor-cal coast in spring when the Alaskan cold water upwellings were happening.
It was a crappy 7mm one piece and I had a hooded vest underneath plus a three mil shorty pulled over the top of everything. I survived it but it was not fun.
All the urchin divers wear wetsuits around here year around but those guys are polar bears. Your body does acclimate and get used to cold water.
60’s, no problem in a wetsuit.

I have a very long torso.

I am 6'2" and a long torso and long arms.
If you are anything like me you
Will want a extra long backplate,
Harder to come by, but if you have trouble reaching your hip D ring to clip on your gauge, then you definitely will want a long plate, the waist strap will come off the plate at a lower spot,

My standard plate with diy extension.
Best thing I ever made for my bp,
The corner D shapes are great for clipping off gear, or bottles,

Attachments

• 20211018_091022.jpg
    20211018_091022.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 45
I am 6'2" and a long torso and long arms.
If you are anything like me you
Will want a extra long backplate,
Harder to come by, but if you have trouble reaching your hip D ring to clip on your gauge, then you definitely will want a long plate, the waist strap will come off the plate at a lower spot,

My standard plate with diy extension.
Best thing I ever made for my bp,
The corner D shapes are great for clipping off gear, or bottles,

Thanks for the heads up about needing a long backplate. I didn't even know that was a thing. One thing I have been wondering about, and after looking at your picture I am really concerned about. If I get a BPW, and I use it on my warm water dives as well, I prefer diving without a top on, is there anything protecting your back from the knobs/bolts/etc if you aren't wearing a wet or dry suit?

Sounds like you’re powerlifter big!
At 6’3” 350 lbs look at some wetsuit brands in 3X or 4X.
If all else fails, call JMJ wetsuits and order a custom. A good wetsuit is never a waste of money even if you go to a drysuit later. You can always use it for travel to somewhere like Southern California or anywhere for that mater.
The coldest I ever dived in a wetsuit was in 42 degree water off the Nor-cal coast in spring when the Alaskan cold water upwellings were happening.
It was a crappy 7mm one piece and I had a hooded vest underneath plus a three mil shorty pulled over the top of everything. I survived it but it was not fun.
All the urchin divers wear wetsuits around here year around but those guys are polar bears. Your body does acclimate and get used to cold water.
60’s, no problem in a wetsuit.

I wish I was a powerlifter :). Thanks for this advice. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about renting a wetsuit, I am not sure I will have a lot of luck finding a rental suit that will fit or that I can be comfortable in. I can call the shop that I am doing my AOW with to find out, but I am definitely going to look into the possibility of a custom. I will check out JMJ.

The center bolts are recessed in the center channel, they do not stick out,
I have doubles on it,
depending what you are doing for single tank, you might not even have bolts there,
The lower bolts that hold on my diy extension stick out 1/4 at the most,
It's not a big deal for me,
I have dove it bare back but normally
I have a shorty on, at the bare minimum.

Back plates look kinda rough and uncomfortable, but in the water you would never know, its actually very comfortable,

Also if you are using single tank,
And need lots of weight,
Especially if you use aluminum tanks
Get a cam buckle with a strap and pre load it with some lead weights, (like 2pc 3lb)
And transfer some weight to the tank,
Makes things alot easier.

Especially if you use aluminum tanks
Get a cam buckle with a strap and pre load it with some lead weights, (like 2pc 3lb)
I’m new to backplate but absolutely love having trim weights. It’s just so much easier to be in trim and much more comfortable imo.
The only annoying part is swapping tanks and getting the weight pouches to stay in place so I can Velcro the cam band easily

I’m new to backplate but absolutely love having trim weights. It’s just so much easier to be in trim and much more comfortable imo.
The only annoying part is swapping tanks and getting the weight pouches to stay in place so I can Velcro the cam band easily

Pouches work as well. Tend to be more fiddly for me,

I normally take a cam band along when I go somewhere that I'll be using rental aluminum tanks (which is not often)
If I strap 5-6lb to an aluminum tank its equivalent ish to a 120 cu ft steel tank,
The bouycey stays the same,

Also switching from wet to dry, I can have the difference on the cam belt and it really easy,
I am about making it as little fuss as possible, and that works for me,

As said no matter what gear you get, if you stay in the sport you will naturally make modification, and want to try other gear / other ideas,

Sounds like the OP plans to do more diving than just once or twice a year down south, so custom suit, and maybe new or used BP&W and one or two 120cu ft steel tanks, will do him well,
(Or is that 2 suits? shorty and a full 5-7mm)
See its gets addictive real fast!!!!

I put my trim weights on my shoulder straps.

Instead of wingnuts on the STA bolts, I use DGX delrin plastic finger nuts. Smooth, wont grab a wetsuit.

I put my trim weights on my shoulder straps.

Instead of wingnuts on the STA bolts, I use DGX delrin plastic finger nuts. Smooth, wont grab a wetsuit.
Do you get any tank roll with the dgx nuts or is that just me? Every time I put the tank on it’s tilted to one side.

Well that would be the holes in the STA's fault. Or the backplates holes.

I just get my STA on eye ball straight. Usually push it down to bottom of the holes slop, while tightening the nuts. Make sure the carriage bolts head fully seated as well.

Back
Top Bottom