Apeks Exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobCom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone tried the Apeks Exotec BCD yet? I see it in all of the scuba store websites but Apeks doesn't even have it on their website. Divers Supply has a good review video of it, I guess it's replacing the black ice. Not many other reviews of it and just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. Let me know what you all think.

Has anyone tried the Apeks Exotec BCD yet? I see it in all of the scuba store websites but Apeks doesn't even have it on their website. Divers Supply has a good review video of it, I guess it's replacing the black ice. Not many other reviews of it and just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. Let me know what you all think.
It’s a nightmare. I bought it and spent the day on the water with it with a two tank dive. It was the right size for me medium large , large. It has this really weird clasp system at the top of the tank and also the strap across your chest. It’s a hook system instead of the typical clasp. This takes some getting used to and while I was used to it, you actually have to look to see where the hook is going to go into the hole. It has a flimsy feel to it once you get it secured in place. I think Time will tell that this was a mistake in experimenting and they’ll go back to the way everyone else does. But the worst part is the fact that the tank seems to recoil from side to side. Meaning, when you turn your body while diving, even slightly, a half a second later the tank follows along with it. I have almost 800 logged dives and know how a tank should be placed on a BCD. I know you might think that I didn’t have it secured right, but believe me I did. I returned it. It sucks

I returned it and bought another black ice from Amazon since they’re discontinued and I wore my other one out. They made a mistake for sure

It’s a nightmare. I bought it and spent the day on the water with it with a two tank dive. It was the right size for me medium large , large. It has this really weird clasp system at the top of the tank and also the strap across your chest. It’s a hook system instead of the typical clasp. This takes some getting used to and while I was used to it, you actually have to look to see where the hook is going to go into the hole. It has a flimsy feel to it once you get it secured in place. I think Time will tell that this was a mistake in experimenting and they’ll go back to the way everyone else does. But the worst part is the fact that the tank seems to recoil from side to side. Meaning, when you turn your body while diving, even slightly, a half a second later the tank follows along with it. I have almost 800 logged dives and know how a tank should be placed on a BCD. I know you might think that I didn’t have it secured right, but believe me I did. I returned it. It sucks
Thanks for your review. I'll stay away from it then.

Having played with it at my store (I have not dove it yet) I find it weird that on this BC that is supposed to be an in-between of a Rec and Tech BC that the D rings wouldn't allow easy slinging of a additional tank. I find it comfortable while donned. From aesthetics point it looks really amazing and feels sturdy and well built. I enjoy the use of less plastic. The weight pocket handles are very nice being made out of Aluminum. Maybe a little over priced but for a Rec BC it is solid. Are there better options? Sure. Is it a really solid/ feeling BC? Totally. Would I use it for anything other than Rec? No. My Axiom actually has the D-rings mounted perfectly to sling an Al80.

Anybody else tried this BC?
I'm looking for a travel, comfortable BC to dive two or three weeks per year in tropical water.
Looking for comfort so weight integrated and mono as I do rec only and no plan for tec.
I nearly bought the Xdeep Ghost (I'm in the EU) but I heard bad review of the weight pocket (not rigid enough, difficult to insert weight). So I narrow my choice to the Hydros Pro and the Exotec.
I can find the Ghost deluxe + wp, Hydros and the Exotec for nearly the same price (around 700$), so it's not a criteria (no judgement please, I know that BPW may be much cheaper and allow cust.)

Exotec is newer and I like the pocket but not a lot of review from people that actually tried it.
I can't also not find any information about this BC in the APEX website. Does anybody have the size charts in metrics?

Love mine. It has a good amount of attachment rings and I like how I was able to adjust it. Plus extra dump valves are kinda nice. I like the pockets too. Also I've noticed the weight pockets are much easier for my wife and I to use than the usual Aqualung types. The hook system does take a little getting used to. It stows very easily for us and I like the bouyancy bag collapses on it's own as it helps me do fine adjustments a little faster. I still plan on building a harness when I get into dual tanks but for now I like the exotec and it helps you grow into it a bit and that has been really helpful for my wife as she just got certified Open water last weekend.

Owner of a traditionnal BCD, a Mares Dragon, I'm interested in this new Apeks product.
It seems to be a good solution for people who want to have a back buyoncy without to dive in the wing/BP world.
And if I understand well, I just have to accept I can't tune my configuration as I could do with a wing/BP configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom