Apeks Exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your reply. I check the Hydros Pro that I bought for my wife a few weeks ago. It has a red ring around the dump valve next to the shoulder strap but the information around the bar code suggest that it has been manufactured in 2018. I could I ensure that it's a revised model? Should I return it?View attachment 729166
View attachment 729167
No, it is perfectly fine, you have the new and revised model.
Your wife is going to love it :)

Hi !
On a French forum has experimented a back pain with the Exotec after a dive.
He said the weight of the tank push on his back and according him because of the belt system.

Is there anybody who has the same issue?
Considering someone could test this BCD.

maybe a bit late, but somebody might appreciate my input.

The back lumbar support is height adjustable - if it sits to low, it digs in your back, hence the back pain. I learned that the hardway, because i out mine on the lowest setting. I did just a pool dive to test it out. But if you adjust it to sit the way it is supposed to, its really nice.

I didnt notice any tank rolling, the valves are nice, pockets are awesome, and the material is really good.

Also important, i believe they run big, so keep that in mind. I believe their size chart is way of...

I have been using Apeks Exotec for three months now. I personally find it to be the most comfortable BCD to dive single tank within recreationa limits. That said, it is not possible to adjust it for a twin setup - for that you'de have to go proper wing. There is the Exotec which is a back inflated wing BCD, and there is Exotec-S which is a jacket style BCD. One issue I have with Exotec is that it is not travel friendly - it's heavy (despite the aluminum backplate) and takes a lot of luggage space. Otherwise, I think it's a smart piece of quality gear. If you are, however, planning to dive tech, this is not for you.

Has anyone tried the Apeks Exotec BCD yet? I see it in all of the scuba store websites but Apeks doesn't even have it on their website. Divers Supply has a good review video of it, I guess it's replacing the black ice. Not many other reviews of it and just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. Let me know what you all think.
I have owned the Exotec since October 2023. I got one as that is what my store sells and considers top of the line, and as an instructor we have to wear what we sell!!! It feels great. I got 65 dives on it since! Now with that said last weekend I noticed, rather heard, a popping sound in the lumbar area. Got it home and got to looking. The lumbar bolt is not loose but the plastic grommet and metal washer where the bolt goes through are giving out. Also where the waist straps/buckles/ weight pocket holders connect to the lumbar plate, since I have to adjust it, the metal eyelets have been rubbing on the back plate, and has been filing the edges of the back plate. The same is happening to another one of our assistant instructors. I have emailed Apeks and sent them pictures of it, but have not heard back yet.

Apeks made a huge mistake by discontinuing the Black Ice. The Exotec is in no way a replacement or better BCD that the Black Ice. Nice but not better!

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_122456047.jpg
    IMG_20240309_122456047.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240309_122450175.jpg
    IMG_20240309_122450175.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 33
I have owned the Exotec since October 2023. I got one as that is what my store sells and considers top of the line, and as an instructor we have to wear what we sell!!! It feels great. I got 65 dives on it since! Now with that said last weekend I noticed, rather heard, a popping sound in the lumbar area. Got it home and got to looking. The lumbar bolt is not loose but the plastic grommet and metal washer where the bolt goes through are giving out. Also where the waist straps/buckles/ weight pocket holders connect to the lumbar plate, since I have to adjust it, the metal eyelets have been rubbing on the back plate, and has been filing the edges of the back plate. The same is happening to another one of our assistant instructors. I have emailed Apeks and sent them pictures of it, but have not heard back yet.

Apeks made a huge mistake by discontinuing the Black Ice. The Exotec is in no way a replacement or better BCD that the Black Ice. Nice but not better!
Looks like that second plate needs to go behind the single tank adapter to attach the cam bands. Or maybe take an overall picture

Looks like that second plate needs to go behind the single tank adapter to attach the cam bands. Or maybe take an overall picture
Here are some better pics for everyone! Look at your Exotec and see if this is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_6473.JPG
    IMG_6473.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6474.JPG
    IMG_6474.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6475.JPG
    IMG_6475.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6476.JPG
    IMG_6476.JPG