Apeks Exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your review. I'll stay away from it then.
Don't stay away so quickly just because of a couple of reviews... the BCD is sold-out and seems to be a huge success.

When I bought my Hydros Pro, some reviewers were crapping all over it. The BC is AMAZING, love it!

Like with everything, some people like it, some don't. The complains above are very personal... the chest strap for example, only needs to be clamped on the surface (unless entangled UW). No big deal at all and a metal hook is much more resistant than the traditional plastic clip.

The bottle moving, well I haven't tried it BUT it can also be that the OP was used to traditional BCs or BCs with a taller rubber tank holder instead of just the cinches so that might give the impression the bottle is moving. Any travel BC with a soft back gives a similar feeling...

IMO, if you can find the BC and you like it, buy it and try it! IMO not only it looks great (especially the Orange) but Apeks knows how to make TEC BCs so this should be a solid choice :)

the BCD is sold-out and seems to be a huge success.
Not sure it’s because of the success. I went to my dive shop and they didn’t receive the ones they ordered to Apeks.
I think there is a global shortage issue.

Now I don’t have the choice to wait the call from the shop saying they got it. 😬

Not sure it’s because of the success. I went to my dive shop and they didn’t receive the ones they ordered to Apeks.
I think there is a global shortage issue.

Now I don’t have the choice to wait the call from the shop saying they got it. 😬
Will see :wink:

It seems to be a good solution for people who want to have a back buyoncy without to dive in the wing/BP world.
And if I understand well, I just have to accept I can't tune my configuration as I could do with a wing/BP configuration.
Never mind....

How much!!! $1k!

Seems like a hugely clip-tastic complicated way to put a bag of gas on your back. Looks like a Backplate+Wing+Single Tank Adapter, just more expensive. All those dangly dumps, one for each corner. Lets hope they're reliable. Nice integrated weights to fall off or leave behind and cost a fortune to replace.

As David Bowie put it, Fashion.

Anybody else tried this BC?
I'm looking for a travel, comfortable BC to dive two or three weeks per year in tropical water.
Looking for comfort so weight integrated and mono as I do rec only and no plan for tec.
I nearly bought the Xdeep Ghost (I'm in the EU) but I heard bad review of the weight pocket (not rigid enough, difficult to insert weight). So I narrow my choice to the Hydros Pro and the Exotec.
I can find the Ghost deluxe + wp, Hydros and the Exotec for nearly the same price (around 700$), so it's not a criteria (no judgement please, I know that BPW may be much cheaper and allow cust.)

Exotec is newer and I like the pocket but not a lot of review from people that actually tried it.
I can't also not find any information about this BC in the APEX website. Does anybody have the size charts in metrics?
I own the Hydros Pro and I can say it is fantastic. The Exotec is clearly competing with it and not with pure REC BCs. Still today folks complain about the price but personally I never cared how much I spend as long as I like the product.

.IMO the Apeks seems to be a little more rugged and I really like the color accents, especially the orange.
Weight integration is also very well executed and secure, don't mind some momos complaining about the price of the weights if you lose them or the fashionable look of the BC. They simply cannot spend 1K on a BCD and therefore they **** on it... happens all of the time. The XDeep (great BC as well) is less comfortable and once you customize it slightly, gets to the same price practically (Exotec & Hydros can be found around 700-800€ in DE).

On the other hand, Scubapro's Monprene is an amazing material and dries almost instantly, grips well on the shoulders and the whole thing looks super slick. Also it might hold the tank more securely as the back plate is longer (if you dove with soft BCs and have no issues with the feeling, I doubt you will complain with the Exotec). Tough decision.

ps. If you buy online, mind that the Scubapro wears bigger than its size and be sure that the dump valves have a red ring around them. Some dealers might still have the previous version discounted! (the original HP had some Monprene parts failing as well as some issues with the bladder. Revised and fixed on the 2019 :) .

Some dealers might still have the previous version discounted! (the original HP had some Monprene parts failing as well as some issues with the bladder. Revised and fixed on the 2019 :) .
So not much good as a bag of gas then?

Why would someone go for these shiny shiny things when they could get a second hand backplate & wing & STA at a fraction of that cost? Please don't say it's about the orange accents!

So not much good as a bag of gas then?

Why would someone go for these shiny shiny things when they could get a second hand backplate & wing & STA at a fraction of that cost? Please don't say it's about the orange accents!
Yes, you got me... ITS ALL ABOUT THE ORANGE ACCENTS.

Jokes aside. you need to understand that personal taste and cost are very subjective. We don't buy everything based on value for money. You people need to stop talking crap based on your personal preferences.

If you want to use an 800€ pink OMS signature Mono wing so be it. Who the hell am I to judge what you do with your money? Do you smoke? If yes, you probably spend double or triple the amount of the Exotec in a year... for cancer.,

I personally avoid second hand everything. The OP didn't mentioned he has economical issues neither.

Also, how many times have you lost weight integrated pockets in your lifetime??? I've seen many belts fall into the deep as well. It happens. What about Dry Suits? Do you carry all the weight in your belt?

Dive gear today offers choices. In the past, everything was similar and... black.

Just a note about second hand. There's certain things that you don't buy second hand: personal stuff like masks, maybe wetsuits, hoods, etc.

Regulators and tanks are interesting: as long as they are serviced and the vendor gives you a guarantee that it'll pass. By regulator service I mean that there's not some catastrophic fault with it requiring a new body/whatever. Always subtract the cost of the test, so it'll be at least 50% off.

TBH for a novice diver regulators could be a bit risky. Hence needing to factor in the service. It's the general condition that you're looking at. Having said that, one that was apparently in lovely condition might have been used once and put away wet and rotted inside -- hence the buyer's guarantee.

I've bought a load of second hand regulators and all have been fine. I might just be lucky.

Wings, backplates, single tank adapters... Don't buy new. All a wing/BCD needs to do is hold air pressure: blow it up hard and leave it overnight; ANY loss of gas is bad. You can get second hand wings for a fraction of the new price. Two for one or less on a Halcyon wing: yes!

There's a rule about buying second hand: it's never around when you want to buy. The minute you don't care then three will turn up. Just buy it when they come up.

ps. If you buy online, mind that the Scubapro wears bigger than its size and be sure that the dump valves have a red ring around them. Some dealers might still have the previous version discounted! (the original HP had some Monprene parts failing as well as some issues with the bladder. Revised and fixed on the 2019 :) .
Thank you for your reply. I check the Hydros Pro that I bought for my wife a few weeks ago. It has a red ring around the dump valve next to the shoulder strap but the information around the bar code suggest that it has been manufactured in 2018. I could I ensure that it's a revised model? Should I return it?
017364C2-B1FC-42C9-962D-69BA9D7BDE3A_1_102_a.jpeg

5446260C-6CC1-4DDF-B1BD-7C26AD475CED_1_102_o.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom