New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrob4449

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!
I’m currently in the process of getting my open water cert through SSI and have completed all course work just scheduling my pool training and then my cert dive. I’m reaching out because I purchased my own gear and have been doing reviews and such but wanted to know if anyone has experience with this gear or things to lookout for or know. Here’s the big pieces I got
Zeagle Ranger BCD
Aqualung helix pro reg and octo
Tusa freedom elite mask( had this from snorkeling)
Apeks rk3 fins
Aqualung i470tc dive computer (currently without transmitter)
Apeks air gauge

About me on a personal note- I’m a firefighter/aemt, I enjoy playing and coaching ice hockey, boating, hiking, travel to warmer places, and weightlifting.

Any input on my gear would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Welcome. Looks like you picked reputable brands. I haven't use a Zeagle Ranger, but it's a reputable choice. Does is have the ripcord system for releasing integrated weights? Some people like that, some don't.

Masks, brand or brand x, expensive or cheap, the key concern is what kind of seal you get on your face, and there's little way to know in advance until you try it.

Richard.

Hi Welcome to the wonderful world of diving!
When anyone asks me about gear, I always suggest you rent for a while. Rent all brands, especially those that you may buy. You will get a good idea of what works for you and what doesn't.
While brand may be a good indiction of gear choice, fit and comfort is more important. You won't be diving long in ill fitting gear or equipment that doesn't work for you.

I would return everything before it gets wet and you still can.

Wait to first make sure you can do this, some people can't for various reasons and once it hits the water your selling it half what you paid for it.

Next don't buy a BC until you have tried all three styles and several brands so you buy what is actually best for you.

Welcome to the diving community. I would agree with the above posts that it is better to rent gear for a little while to make sure you are accustom how each type works and feels during your dives. This will allow you to make a better choice of gear based on your needs. But everything you have selected is good name brand gear to get you started. Enjoy exploring the depths.

So I have tried some different styles of bcds and other gear through try scuba experiences and the ranger was by far the most comfortable. I’m not worried about “being able to do it” as it’s something I’m looking into doing with work as well. I appreciate the input this far.

Don't let the posters 'burst your bubble', you have the required gear, go and enjoy it.
You will no doubt buy more in the future as you progress.
Just dive, and enjoy.

So I have tried some different styles of bcds and other gear through try scuba experiences and the ranger was by far the most comfortable. I’m not worried about “being able to do it” as it’s something I’m looking into doing with work as well. I appreciate the input this far.

I have seen people who have a unknown medical issue that they don't know about and don't find out till after the first couple dives.

Welcome. Looks like you picked reputable brands. I haven't use a Zeagle Ranger, but it's a reputable choice. Does is have the ripcord system for releasing integrated weights? Some people like that, some don't.

Masks, brand or brand x, expensive or cheap, the key concern is what kind of seal you get on your face, and there's little way to know in advance until you try it.

Richard.
Yeah I like the ripcord design. It’s not overly complicated to put back in, I can reach it with both hands and I like all the weight dumps from one spot.

I have seen people who have a unknown medical issue that they don't know about and don't find out till after the first couple dives.
Yeah as a firefighter I have frequent medical exams and get a lot of other stuff evaluated on my own so that’s not a huge concern of mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom