What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dad. Over in the DIR sub forum they call my computer a crutch - should I get rid of that too?
Sure, get rid of it. I'm going to keep the two that I use, but, protestations notwithstanding, you seem to take this internet discussion to heart a lot more than I do.
Actually it's not so much about me, I take what's useful and leave the rest - and I'm not arguing against reasonable viewpoints that show the potential downsize to something. I just get a little tired of threads being hijacked by posters who want to criticize from their bully pulpits (PADI, Spare Air, Jacket BCD's, split fins, snorkels etc...).
I get it; you are a defender of the meek ScubaBoard members who are intimidated by people with viewpoints and come here to have discussions with people who agree with them.
Probably it is entertaining for the few to pat each others backs over their witty, subtle little put downs but I think it also drives a lot of other posters away from participation on the board for fear of being ridiculed.
To those potential members who I have driven away, I am sorry, I'll miss you, and your lives will be less full for having left--a tragedy for all concerned. To those who are supposed to be patting me on the back for my witty, subtle, little put-downs, how about a few thank-yous on the bottom of this post--DaleC is killing me on the thank-you count!
I could have just remained silent and shook my head at the direction of the thread (as I do with others) but the rhetoric just tweaked me the wrong way. This forum is Basic Scuba Discussions and the OP asked for the name of the piece of equipment
Thank you for speaking up. It was not just helpful--it was heroic!

Humm... I'm wondering if laser pointers can damage the retina of fish?

Yeah, this isn't something I really know the answer to completely. I believe I remember reading that the red laser wasn't very effective underwater and also could possibly cause damage as it does with humans. Someone once mentioned a green beam that didn't cause eye damage and was more effective than the red but wasn't a cost effective option especially in other parts of the world where the cost of the laser is more than one makes in a month perhaps. I can't remember...red, green...maybe I have them confused. :confused: Anyone?

you are a defender of the meek ScubaBoard members who are intimidated by people with viewpoints and come here to have discussions with people who agree with them.

I appreciate the support!

Humm, I've never been called M E E K before???? - Layin low with opinions because I'm new to the landscape - but definitely not MEEK once I'm comfortable on my turf and have a chance to form some educated opinions! Now -- learning things from ya'll. Trust me some friends wish I was a bit meeker:blinking:! And later you may too :D :D :D

That being said - here come some soft opinions, I'm sure they will harden over time-

I didn't start this post to have people agree with me or disagree with me.

It isn't a post to solicit opinion. I simply asked for an objective name in a forum that is advertised as a flame free zone.

Flaming does scare new people away.

I understand and agree with Thalassamania and others - that a post advertising the merits of a poky stick could definitely reek unnecessary havoc down below -- but the same educational message could be conveyed by all of you without flaming, judging or blaming and has been by some.

Like NWGratefuldiver, I've seen that the stick can be very useful in certain situations & if carefully used (we’ve been to some of the same places). For most diving, I don't think the stick is that useful.

All sports have opinions –we use to debate the ethics of chipping rock climbing holds vs. comfortzing finger pockets - for years and nobody opinion ever budged. – I favored the progressive traditionalists with a sense of environmental consciousness!

Guess I'm still doing the same!:D

That post was so sad I had to give you a sympathy thanks :shakehead:

Back to the topic:

I call what I use a "pokey stick" but I don't actually poke anything with it (I'm just simple mindedly attracted to silly names). More correctly it would be defined as a pivot stick. As noted by others I use it to hold my position while observing flora and fauna. I'm not a photographer (BTW) and usually hold my hovers longer than it takes to take a picture. I observe marine species behavior in open systems (ocean/lakes) to compare with observations of marine species in closed (captive) systems. Sure I could try to hold my hovers in current without spooking the subjects but as I said before... why? On those dives I am pretty "mission" focused. I also like to have it on hand to ward off aggressive fauna but one could say I am pretty committed to marine study/preservation so the thought of actually harming subjects doesn't enter into the picture. Having a blunt stick offers a far less lethal response (to the animal) than having to resort directly to a dive knife.

Someone also recently related to me the tickle stick method they use to lure lobsters out from cover. I don't catch or eat lobster myself but, from a purely practical point of view, the stick did seem to serve a pretty useful purpose.

So I think I could summarize my contribution here by saying that sticks have a purpose (in some applications), that they can be abused (like any other tool) so If you choose to use one, do so responsibly.

I can definitely say that they can come in handy in deterring a beserk titan trigger fish that is making a torpedo run directly at you.

Humm, I've never been called M E E K before???? - Layin low with opinions because I'm new to the landscape - but definitely not MEEK once I'm comfortable on my turf and have a chance to form some educated opinions! Now -- learning things from ya'll. Trust me some friends wish I was a bit meeker! And later you may too

That being said - here come some soft opinions, I'm sure they will harden over time-

I didn't start this post to have people agree with me or disagree with me.

It isn't a post to solicit opinion. I simply asked for an objective name in a forum that is advertised as a flame free zone.

Flaming does scare new people away.

I understand and agree with Thalassamania and others - that a post advertising the merits of a poky stick could definitely reek unnecessary havoc down below -- but the same educational message could be conveyed by all of you without flaming, judging or blaming and has been by some.

Like NWGratefuldiver, I've seen that the stick can be very useful in certain situations & if carefully used (we’ve been to some of the same places). For most diving, I don't think the stick is that useful.

All sports have opinions –we use to debate the ethics of chipping rock climbing holds vs. comfortzing finger pockets - for years and nobody opinion ever budged. – I favored the progressive traditionalists with a sense of environmental consciousness!

Guess I'm still doing the same!
Kathy, it seems like you can take care of yourself. Honestly, I did not intend to "flame" anybody in this thread in my original post, and I don't think I did. I just observed that divemasters in Lembeh used those "poky sticks" irresponsibly (in my opinion!) and their photographer charges tacitly sanctioned it.

I really don't care what equipment anybody uses--spare air, air2, HUB, knock yourselves out. Tank bangers affect my underwater experience, so I care, and tools that are often (not always!) used to harass delicate wildlife are an issue for people who care about delicate wildlife. I am not quarreling with people's right to hunt, but if you're hunting pygmy sea horses you should know that they aren't a very sustainable resource. And if you are in a marine park you have probably explicitly agreed to minimize your environmental impact.

I also realize you asked a simple question in search of a simple answer (I used to blow away those Iowa reading tests in elementary school!), but this is a discussion board, and discussions normally transition from the original topic to related topics, here and in real life as well. Of course, everybody is free to stop reading a thread once it becomes irrelevant to them. Or we could close every thread once the OP got a satisfactory answer. But we'd have very little discussion here if we did.

Last edited:

Guess I'm still doing the same!:D

Ha! a kindred spirit :D

Don't forget bolting vs non bolting
Trads vs sport climbers
Solo vs roped teams
Seige tactics vs unsupported ascents
Pitons vs removable pro

Sorry for the hijack

I really don't care what equipment anybody uses--spare air, air2, HUB, knock yourselves out.

So, I'm off the hook with my pink split Force Fins and Zircon Encrusted Dive Bayonet. Good.

I can definitely say that they can come in handy in deterring a beserk titan trigger fish that is making a torpedo run directly at you.

By then, it's too late, but I get the joke. Fact: Sweeping their eyes with your flashlight beam will dissuade them eventually.

That, or grenades. :crafty:

Slow down Bob. I never used the word crutch. That was another posters opinion and words. I never said that someone should not use a specific tool, even the poker. You are putting words in my mouth. You and I agree more than you think. Education is important, but honestly I don't see the need for a poker specialty class any time soon.:wink:

I get your "tool" comparison and I agree 100% because it makes sense. That said, are you saying that a poker is a great tool that should be used regularly at most dive sites and taught to new divers for destinations like Bonaire and Cozumel? Of course you weren't, just as my statements weren't as black and white as you made them out to be.

In MOST places, the poker isn't needed. That's my main point. Fins on the other hand generally are needed.

Other than the two links you provided, can you offer many more places in the world where using a dive poker is as necessary as using fins? Perhaps that will help with my self limiting issues.

Btw, thanks for calling me "self limiting." I really enjoyed that coming from a guy that just ranted about insulting others with their comments here on SB.

For the record, here is your ringing endorsement of this educational and necessary like fins tool....

My comments were not directed at you, specifically ... but rather address the tenor of several posts in this thread (of course, you did not use a lot of the terms I quoted).

Sorry if you took it personally ... that was not my intent ... my intent was rather to get those reading the thread to take a broader view.

However, you did leave out an important part of my "ringing endorsement" ... it's generally not good form to take only the portion of someone's quote that, out of context, seems to support your point of view ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom