What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield here .... "tough crowd, I tell ya ... no respect".

Until I went to Indonesia I'd never seen them before ... but honestly, I was over there with some pretty darn good divers, and I don't think they were exactly using them as crutches. It's a tool, appropriate to a certain circumstance. And for sure, most of the things you go there to see are in the macro to supermacro range ... and if you're cruising along in a moderate to strong current you just ain't gonna see, much less take a picture of, a lot of what those sites have to offer.

I'd have to wonder how many professional photographers have ever used something like that to get the shot they want. Most of those folks would fall into the range of very skilled divers ... probably more so than the majority of folks responding to this thread ... and I'd bet (given the popularity of those sticks by the dive guides, etc) that in places like Komodo and Bunaken, a lot of pros do use them.

Nice picture, Doc ... I got a couple nice pygmy seahorse shots without using a stick too ... but I had to work hard at it, and took way more blurry shots than good ones (bet you did too) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The divemasters at the Lembeh Resort were more than willing to poke and prod the wildlife with their aluminum rods to help out the eager photographers, even to the detriment of the wildlife. Because an extra $20 today probably means more to them than the long-term viability of that eco-system. I am a photographer, but I don't understand the compulsion to get photos at all costs. If you have no ethical constraints on your need to acquire great photos, I recommend cut-and-pasting them from chrisbangs' or parabolic's gallery on ScubaBoard--they take better photos than most of us ever will. I get gratification from the photos I take personally because I have, by and large, discovered the subjects personally--so I take some pleasure in preserving that "eureka!" moment. I checked a dozen red sea fans in Komodo and Lembeh to get my pygmy sea horse shots--without touching any sea horses or sea fans.

lembeh_pygmy_seahorse.jpg

Ha Ha Ha Ha If I don't see a use for it it must be useless because everyone has to dive just like me... Please, give me a break. It's too bad that so many discussions around here get way laid by some who slam everything that doesn't fit their idea of diving. Not all divers dive the same profiles for the same reasons so it might stand to reason that not all divers use the same gear. If you don't use one why bother posting into the thread anyways?

I just call it a pokey stick myself (but wouldn't pay that much for one). I usually just pick a piece of driftwood up off of the beach. I tend to hover a lot over specimens I am observing and I find the stick allows me to focus on them instead of my position in the water column. Period. Of all the things in the world I don't feel the need to justify my use of a little stick to anyone.

As far as damaging wildlife is concerned, one could say dangling SPG's, consules and octo's do far more damage to the reef than sticks so should we get rid of them too or.. could it be the improper use of equipment is the problem and not the equipment itself.

Oops, sorry for confusing the issue with logic there.

Some people would also consider a new diver to be an impediment to diving but I occasionally try to take one of those along with me too...
When you read the above sentence it may sound like sarcasm but when you read about people complaining about other divers carrying little sticks using terms like unethical, crutches etc... well... it does sound like sarcasm.

Here in Hawaii we call them "tako pokers" and the most common use is to poke taco (octopus). Some of the tako poking divers are hunting tako to eat or sell, and the rest are dive guides harassing marine wildlife to generate more tips.

There are a small percentage of divers who use these tools in a non-offensive and constructive recreational manner. There are also a small percentage of people who use psycoactive drugs in a non-offensive and constructive recreational manner.

If you don't use one why bother posting into the thread anyways?
To advise other divers that they are not necessary and might pose a threat to delicate wildlife.

I tend to hover a lot over specimens I am observing and I find the stick allows me to focus on them instead of my position in the water column.
With a little experience, you will be able to maintain neutral buoyancy without concentrating. This learning process will be quicker if you lose the crutch.

Of all the things in the world I don't feel the need to justify my use of a little stick to anyone.
Yet you seem to be doing just that.

Like everything in life - conscious I believe is the key
Did a little research on-line & added others from this post

Pokers (reef skewers, etc)

aka:
the stick
reef rods
muck stick
reef stick
tickle stick
DM Sticks
Pokie Stick
reef rods
tako pokers

Very popular in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Indonesia
.............................................................................................................................................................

Found a nice fiberglass stick for photography here:

Tito Muck Stick: http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1754

And an environmentally conscious "Pokie stick" with a mandatory pledge to not harm wildlife or coral before it can be purchased here: http://www.pokiestick.com/Page4.html

I do think beginners and those not paying attention could do lots of damage with these things and I agree --- they probably are not necessary under most conditions.

Last edited:
I've also heard of them refered to as Fiji sticks. In fact, that's what I thought the official name was. I'm guessing they're pretty common in Fiji as well. I got suckered into it when I first started diving, bought one, used it for a few dives and don't even know where it is anymore. If I find it, does anyone want to buy it? :D

I've also heard of them refered to as Fiji sticks. In fact, that's what I thought the official name was. I'm guessing they're pretty common in Fiji as well. I got suckered into it when I first started diving, bought one, used it for a few dives and don't even know where it is anymore. If I find it, does anyone want to buy it? :D
I've got a tub full of stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time. Wrist slates, jacket BC, jacket BC with octo integrated inflator, big mask with side panels, tank banger, big pig sticker knife. I'd stick 'em on eBay but I'm not sure I could in good concience sell them to anyone.

I can think of some circumstances where a poker thingie would be handy, but I reckon it'd end up in the "unnecessary crap" tub.

I call them security blankets, you'll find them in tackle shops where it is called a "fish billy" or "shark billy." They are used for killing big fish quickly instead of letting them flop around on the deck where they might cause an injury to a person. They can also be used to push off aggressive sea life if you don't have a spear gun or large camera to do the job.

"I would never put it on any living thing..."

Philippines_UW_265.jpg

Philippines_UW_270.jpg

oky dokey.

Back
Top Bottom