What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the group I usually dive with, we tend to be "same ocean" buddies, but I learned on the last dive I should at least pay some attention to where they're going. We did a dive yesterday where we were heading from point A to point B, and it wasn't clear whether we were going to head back to point A, or get out and point B and have someone walk back and get the truck. I lost sight of them at point A, surfaced, saw a diver at the shore who I assumed was one of the group (hard to tell from a distance!) and swam towards shore. I got closer and realized it was just another diver. The rest of the group had indeed swum back to point A. I ended up exiting at point B and walking back, retrieving my car, then driving back to get my gear before someone stole it!

I learned that you can see a lot from a simple shore dive and in under 20 feet of water.

I learned that I could dive in a 3/2mm full wetsuit in 62 F water and still be comfortable. And I learned that I have TONS of fun chatting with other divers on our surface intervals. Oh, wait... I already knew that!

:crafty: I learned that marine grade reflective tape on the bottom of black fins make your buddy easier to spot in poor viz but also ruin your shots when the camera flash bounces off them:shocked2:

I learned that keeping the same routine in preparing my gear for each dive is essential ....

When diving off a boat a couple of weeks ago the crew asked us to not load weight into our BC's until we were ready to don our gear to save strain on the bungies holding it in place while in transit between sites. Since I had gotten there a bit early, I assembled my gear and before leaving the dock I removed my ditch-able weights setting them on the deck under my seat/gear; then removed the weights in the trim pockets of my BC and put them in the foot-pockets of each fin.

This worked great for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd dive of the day. Unfortunately between the 3rd & 4th dives I got lazy while assembling my gear for dive 4 and simply set the trim weights at the back of the bench on either side of my tank; rather than digging under the bench for my fins.

When it was time to dive, I of course remembered my weight-pockets, but not the trim weights. Once in the water, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't descend with the rest of the group!! :shocked2: Fortunately the DM had extra weight with him and with a little assistance was able to get under and do the dive with the rest of the group; although it was a little dicey holding my safety stop at the end of the dive with 8# less lead than I had been using the rest of the day!!

A good look at currents and tides tables (+ weather forecasts) is extremely essential for diving at current sensitive dives, I guess I am stating the obvious, but sometimes it is easy to take things for granted...

After checking and re-checking out currents and tides the last couple of days they turned out to be be spot on yesterday! I had two great dives with minimal current at a location where I have never been before: Skyline on Fidalgo Island! What a treat despite the fact that the visibility sucked!:)

Don't let your buddy convince you to 'skip' over some details of a dive plan. We followed the tables to begin with but later we ended up being over the NDTL for over 20 minutes! We were OK because the computer said so!

I am not sure whether mixing tables and computer is a good idea, though (only one of us has a computer).:confused:

Last edited:
I learned not to reuse an Energizer AA from an Optima primary handset in the Optima secondary handset on the next day. The secondary shut down and I had to turn it on again. Luckily it stayed on for the rest of the dive and we weren't down very long. The water was also cold on both dives so that probably affected the battery's life.

I thought I had a neat battery rotation trick worked out but it turns out not to be a good idea...

Well, my last dive was at an aquarium, :dork2:and I don't like to count those BUT,

I learned that while dressed up as Scuba Santa, the turtles really dig the hair and beard. So much so that one might get tangled up in the communications cord that runs from the AGA mask.:shakehead: And that a turtle thus motivated is a very strong swimmer. And that it is important for the safety diver to untangle the turtle quickly, so that the children are not dis-illusioned by seeing Scuba Santa in a rather...weakend state being towed around by his face!:depressed:

Oh, I also learned that scaring kids when you are Santa is more fun than the ones who really like you!:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom