What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned what a blown oring sounds and feels like at 20 ft at night! Basically it sounds like a loud pop, like a small caliber handgun at a distance. Also, the quantity of air flowing out was a little unnerving. I was still able to breath from the reg, but made a hasty ascent, not exactly textbook, I am ashamed to admit. I had been diving on the same tank the last few days, yes, yoke, did not bump it, tank was not overfilled, oring was extruded, but otherwise in good shape upon inspection on the surface. Did not check my SPG, so don't know how much air was lost, unfortunately, it would have been an interesting data point.

I have not known anyone who had the same experience, so I thought I would share here.

I've had an O-Ring blow, but I was only 3 metres in the pool with some students though, so not the end of the world, just a lot of noise behind my head, I got out, shouted at it, replaced it and got back in.

I expect its scarier at night and deeper in open water. :ermm:

I got out, shouted at it, replaced it and got back in.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that shouts at inanimate objects.:glad:

I learned what a grey nurse shark looks like while sleeping in a hole in a wall. I probably wouldn't have gotten so close to said hole if I had seen the business end of said fish. Luckily, she slept through it all.

On my last dive, I learned that:

• Sea Lions are really impressive underwater.
  • Missing the destination doesn't ruin the dive.
  • Sometimes people throw away perfectly good weight belts, lights, and other gear.
  • All the work I did losing weight and getting into shape paid off.
  • Force Fins work in a strong current.
  • Strong currents win anyway.
  • I get heart palpitations, and the doctors can't figure out why. It's been three months, and no answers.

... I get heart palpitations, and the doctors can't figure out why. It's been three months, and no answers.
[/LIST]

Join the club. It's been 30+ years. Have you visited an electrophysiologist? This is a MD who is an electrician for the heart.

Good luck!

I learned that the older I get:

The more my drysuit shrinks
My tanks become more negative on the boat
The boats leave earlier in the morning
The spaces between the ladder rungs increase
My mask makes my vision blurry
My students become younger
My wallet becomes thinner

But at least the girls seem to get prettier...

my last dive was at Dirty Rock in Cocos

i learned that ....

- i have been lucky enough to dive in some of the most amazing places in the world

- i go to places that other people can only dream of

- i should never take anything for granted and to make the most of every dive

Venus

On my very last dive, I learned that even a little flow becomes a big deal when you've kicked against it for 35 minutes, and I need to do a lot of lap swimming between now and my next Mexico trip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom